Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

ChetReckless posted:

Check the Weather (data from forecast.io) just updated with its own widget now:

I like the data they chose to put up there but holy hell is it big.

"Widget takes up the whole loving screen" should be a new rejection reason during review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Preferably something that works on ios and a website. Any suggestions?

Private Pinterest boards, maybe?

Or if you're already using CeltX anyway, you may be able to do it with one of their confusing combinations of iOS, desktop, and cloud apps.

Edit: Looks like you'd now have to be on a paid CeltX plan to get that functionality.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

illcendiary posted:

I've been using Gas Cubby for almost four years now and like it. It's allegedly getting a big update soon as well.

Fuelly's been saying that for over a year (among the rest of their long history of vaporware), but a watched pot has to boil eventually.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

nickutz posted:

The Facebook app essentially killed my battery today. Is revoking it's background app refresh privileges enough to keep it from doing it again? I assume that stops push notifications as well?

It's been enough for some of us. :v:

Background app refresh and push notifications are separate things. You can have both, one, or neither, as your preferences dictate.

I'm not entirely sure what the hell Facebook does with Background App Refresh (other than consume battery), but it's apparently not anything I care about. The checkins feature nobody on the face of earth uses, maybe?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

What does the app give me that I can't get from the forecast.io webapp? Does the paid app give me more info?

It's faster, you get more (or more optimized) information, and there are no ads (not that the ones in the webapp are intrusive).

Having just fired them up side by side, the added/changed info:
  • Map can show precipitation or temperature
  • A precipitation graph showing the precipitation for the next hour
  • A temperature graph showing the temperature for the whole day
  • Wind direction uses cardinal directions instead of the weird arrow
  • Dew point includes the spread
  • Pressure is displayed with rising/falling (rather than separately)
  • Sun rise and set
  • 7-day forecasts are scaled to fit the screen (no swiping)

And, like ChetReckless said, you can get notifications of precip slightly before they're forecast to happen.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

tuyop posted:

You could try Moves, which works off of the background location tracking and shouldn't, in principle, use any more battery power than geofencing (which is none).

Moves works really well on the 5. There's a very small hit to battery life in "Battery Saver" mode, but it's nothing like, say, Argus's godawful battery murder.

"Accuracy" mode makes a more noticeable dent, but it's still worlds below Argus.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Office Mobile is superseded by the individual apps.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

NyxBiker posted:

Will they ever make Track my iPhone to track your iPhone via IMEI, man they just stole my iPhone and it was disconnected from the internet so it's gone, but would be cool in the future to get this feature in the app.

Why? If you have Find My iPhone (and thus activation lock) turned on, the phone's value is already only as parts.

"Tracking" by IMEI—which would require carrier cooperation, which is a non-starter right there—adds nothing to that.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

101 posted:

It's $5 and (whatever your opinion of him) Marco Arment makes inevitably gets bored of well supported, quality apps... and again, it's $5

Buy it now, buy a new, still supported podcast app in another six months!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Microsoft has officially gobbled up Acompli. I guess that solves the Outlook Mobile-shaped hole in Microsoft's mobile lineup.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

smoobles posted:

What's the best app for putting previously downloaded videos from your PC onto your iPad, without any loss of quality? I need to copy the files onto it -- not stream -- because it's for travel.

Are you avoiding iTunes?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Cheesegod posted:

Say I have an iPhone app. If I turn that iPhone app into a universal app, and the current user upgrades to the new version of the app, will the iPad version automatically be installed (provided the user has an iPad and automatic downloads turned on)?

Automatic Download only picks up new purchases. So no, if this is an update to an existing app, it won't appear on the iPad by itself.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Feenix posted:

I'm starting to hate this poo poo. But then again I've hated radio for a while. I kinda hoped Apple would do something with a little more class re: Radio.

Zane Lowe is one DJ among many. And this... is Zane Lowe.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Minidust posted:

Are aftermarket CarPlay units a thing yet? Might be car shopping, and by extension, head unit-shopping soon, so I was wondering.

Pioneer, Kenwood, and Alpine are CarPlay partners.

Pioneer has several options (the entire NEX series), Alpine has one (the ILX-007), and Kenwood has finally joined the party with the DDX9902S and 9702S. Note that Alpine's offering doesn't have Bluetooth, so it's only a CarPlay unit and will not ever support untethered CarPlay.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

flosofl posted:

OmniFocus is a great project, but it's too drat expensive if you can't get work to reimburse you. It's also total overkill unless you're a complete GTD freak with multiple projects with a ton of inter-dependancies.

It's at least cheaper since they split the desktop version into Standard and Pro. It was ruinous when Pro was the only option, no matter how much of the immense feature set you needed.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

What if I disconnected the phone from the cloud, deleted all the photos there, and then had her sync the phone with the laptop? Would that automatically transfer the photos to the computer and, eventually the cloud?

I haven't tested it, but conceptually that should work. The iPhone just shows up as a standard DCIM camera. It wouldn't be as painless as iCloud Photo Library, but if you've got a huge photo library, it may well be the least painful option (assuming she doesn't want to be able to show people photos at the drop of a hat).

Another option would be Carousel by Dropbox; it'll periodically offer to delete photos for you once they've been uploaded to Dropbox. She'd then have to download them from Dropbox on her computer to import them into Photos.app, so again, not totally painless, but it would help keep a small phone limping along.

That all being said, have you double-checked that her iPhone is (still?) set up for "Optimize iPhone Storage" in the Photos & Camera settings? Keeping full-size images, not the device-appropriate versions, was/is the default setting.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Crystal Ad Block has apparently entered a deal where companies can pay him to be whitelisted from the blocklist.

That's not even remotely accurate, despite how The Verge (of all publishers) is trying to report it.

Not saying we won't get there, but we're not there yet.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

bobfather posted:

I don’t look at Facebook but a couple times a day. The problem is the Facebook app acts like a voip application and stays active even when you aren’t looking at it. Hence the complaints about its egregious battery usage.

Or the complaints about its recent penchant for ducking your audio if you don't explicitly force-quit it.

The Facebook app is dreamy.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

TinTower posted:

e: also, YouTube Red is $12.99 for iOS, $9.99 for Android. Google claim it's due to Apple's IAP policies, despite having the same policy (and same cut) as Apple.

Yes, but Google owns Google and gets the full $9.99 on Android. There is no "cut".

Want $9.99 on iOS too, add 30%, get... $12.99.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I have been adding my music to Spotify, and suddenly I get a message that I have reached the limit of 10,000 songs and can't add more. I was only at "O" too. Any work around, or am I just hosed on this?

Use playlists.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
I'm on board with location-based cooking. The next cooking app I buy must use Location Services to automatically convert recipes between glorious American freedom units and terrible Communist moon units as appropriate.

Tapping buttons to convert, ugh.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Rick posted:

I started to look into stand alone GPS units because I do some back country driving in AZ from time to time. The article said that most people are probably better off with just apps on their smartphone, but it's a 3 year old article so I don't know if the recommended apps are still what people are using.

Has anyone used their phones instead of stand alone? If so, what's the best gps app for an iphone?

If you're somewhere with cellular coverage, Maps or Google Maps actually do really well in the Arizona back country.

If you need something that can deal with the real boonies, where LTE fears to tread, HERE Maps will let you download the whole state and has a surprising number of backroads and forest roads. That being said, the speed limits are frequently terribly out of date or just plain wrong, so the first thing you'll want to do is turn off the speed warnings. Otherwise you'll want to murder your passengers and drive into a goddamn tree after hearing the speed warning chime so often.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

so what's the deal with that? I thought Google bought Waze (and also intergreatted it into Google Maps) so when I use Google Maps, am I not getting the "best" route that Waze would offer up?

Nope. They're separate apps, with largely separate data sources and features. The majority of what they share is Waze's crowdsourced traffic and accident data.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

I asked this in W&W but wondering if I might get a better response here given the thread title:

If you're using MyFitnessPal to track your meals, it integrates with Fitbit and (I believe) Withings accounts and will enter your weight into Health for you.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

e2: Streaks only lets you do 6 things max.

Current version supports two pages. You can do 12 things.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

I've had ALL of my apps randomly sign me out of my accounts on more than one occasion. Most recently last night. The gently caress is up with that?

If we're talking third-party apps, it's usually dumbass developers using the cache (which can be purged at any time by iOS to reclaim space and is explicitly not for data that should be persisted) to store your credentials.

In some cases their asses are sufficiently dumb to be doing this intentionally in direct contravention of common sense and the developer docs; in other cases it's because otherwise intelligent developers are using a lovely, poorly-designed cross-platform framework, which is still itself some high-level dumbassery.

There are also a lot of really dumb apps that will sign you out for any blip in network connectivity. "Oh no, can't reach the server on our first attempt, better throw everything out!"

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 20, 2018

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
What's the current go-to replacement for Fuelly? I've avoided switching since I have years of service logs in there, but there are only so many major bugs and terrible UIs a man can stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

I knew that, but it doesn't explain why they couldn't apply what they learned to their desktop product.

Because enterprise users are boring as hell and terrified of change, even when it's good.

A lot of what they learned from Acompli/Outlook Mobile has been rolled back into their desktop apps, but it requires that you have New Outlook available to you. (Most corporate users do not, because their admin has locked it out.) And all the exciting stuff hits the Mac version much earlier than the Windows version because the Mac users actually use it.