Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

~Coxy posted:

Playing podcasts in my music library that I've synced from iTunes, yeah. Seems like a glaring omission.

It handles your subscriptions and episode syncing on its own server. I don't believe it uses iTunes for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

~Coxy posted:

I'm using the Apple app too at the moment, but would like something with some control over audio settings if possible. Setting a per-podcast amplification and normalisation sounded like a great feature.

While it isn't the "auto-magic" normalization that Overcast offers, you can set a volume multiplier per podcast in Downcast.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Downcast has a global boost.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

nickutz posted:

Last week when I tried Accompli it wouldn't work with my corporate email account even though its Microsoft Exchange. Are you saying I may be able to use it now that they've been brought under MS?

No, I think he's saying that since it is an Official Microsoft Branded Product now you don't need a special approval to route your email through a third-party service anymore.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Not sure if there is a better option these days, but I've always used XLD for music file conversion.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I was confused, too, remembering Teamviewer as just a basic, free RDP program. But apparently Teamviewer nowadays also has video chat, like Skype?

Thanks for this context. I kept wondering why these people would care about remote access to another persons computer!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

TinTower posted:

See above:

And, of course, there is a willing market. Because of course there is, this is the Internet.

I guess there are just some things in this world I'll never understand.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

priznat posted:

This probably got talked about and I missed it but what is up with the embedded browsers in apps these days?

I'm on 9.1 and usually use Purify blocker (but I tried with it shut off) and the browsers in apps like Awful and Tweetbot 4 just go to a blank page, forcing me to open the link in Safari. Did I futz something up or is this a 9.1 issue hopefully fixed in 9.2? Any workarounds?

I use Peace still and have had no issues with embedded browsers in either of the apps you mention.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Irritated Goat posted:

Only bad part about Spotify is you can only listen to stuff in shuffle when you're on free mode :( Google Music is nice but when you don't own all the songs you want to listen to, Spotify kind of wins but still loses there too due to limited skipping of songs.

There is a big green shuffle play button at the top of like every list of songs throughout the app?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Sorry I don't have a suggestion here, but be careful recording lectures - many professors probably won't care, but it's typically not allowed by the university (they make their money by controlling the audience to their professors) and whatever privacy policies which might apply.

Are you in the US? I've never heard of this before, neither during orientation when I was in school nor when I taught.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

The Milkman posted:

Yeah, all the good music apps only work with the built in stuff, or it's a generic media player that sucks at music.

My use case is I have big rear end NAS full of FLACs running Emby. The Emby app works but has the generic media player problem, and it can't sync or transcode audio files yet.

Ideally, I'd like something like how iTunes cloud stuff works, except with my own server and no voodoo file matching. Everything available to stream, it caches whatever automatically, and i can explicitly sync songs down. And it transcodes down to AAC/Opus on the fly to fit more files and not destroy my data plan. And I can win things by listening.

I haven't used it in a while but something like Subsonic may work for this.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You should be grandfathered. Check by restoring the purchase.

This never worked for me and I just assumed it didn't grandfather me. I'll have to try again.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
1P does that better than LastPass though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

XBenedict posted:

I'm nothing like a Capitalist. I expect the government to give me everything for free, not Google, and certainly not the artist that spent their time creating it. You expect to be paid for the work YOU do, so quit being a loving freeloader and stiffing the other guy.

It always amuses me when I see a review or tweet basically saying "I'M NOT USING YOUR FREE SERVICE ANY MOAR BECAUSE YOU WON'T DO WUT I WANT!" Who is that for? What are you even threatening?

People pay these things called taxes, btw