Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

croutonZA posted:

I think I remember someone mentioned a comic reader in one of the previous threads that can "stream" (if that's the right term) comics from a network source. Does such an app exist?

I love comic zeal and all, but a feature like this would be much more useful for me.

I thought Comic Zeal could do something similar to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't like the stock app because it was a huge pain in the rear end to sync non iTunes store stuff with it, especially password protected stuff.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I use Picky, if only because it emulates the iOS6 music app with iOS7 UI and colorized now playing. If you're looking for something more, this probably isn't for you.

Picky is great, and I still don't know what the gently caress they were thinking with the iOS7 redesign of the stock app. Any artist with more than 2 or 3 albums takes so loving long to scroll through that it's useless.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I've had nothing but problems with notifications on Skype on iOS. Sometimes it lets me know someone has messaged/tried to call, sometimes it doesn't, and it NEVER shows badges even with them turned on.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I'm a filmmaker, and I had been using a site called muralnot up until recently as a preproduction idea board. It's essentially a virtual cork board that you can put photos, links, videos, notes, etc onto. Here's an example:

But recently they've started charging a crazy monthly fee, so I need a replacement. Preferably something that works on ios and a website. Any suggestions?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Molten Llama posted:

Private Pinterest boards, maybe?

Or if you're already using CeltX anyway, you may be able to do it with one of their confusing combinations of iOS, desktop, and cloud apps.

Edit: Looks like you'd now have to be on a paid CeltX plan to get that functionality.

I'll look into pintrest.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

I bought my wife an Ipad 4, it's her first iOS device. We have a windows server with a ton of videos on it and she'd like to watch them with her new ipad.

What's the best app for this? Thanks!

Air Video HD.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

Thanks. Hmm, so any app i want to do this with, i'll have to install something on my windows server to transcode the video?

I can't think of anything that will do it without this, but someone else might be able to.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Molten Llama posted:

Private Pinterest boards, maybe?

Or if you're already using CeltX anyway, you may be able to do it with one of their confusing combinations of iOS, desktop, and cloud apps.

Edit: Looks like you'd now have to be on a paid CeltX plan to get that functionality.

Following up on this: I looked at Pinterest and while you can make a board full of stuff, there's no way to arrange it at all. I need something that's like a virtual cork board.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

PaperKarma has recently gotten really loving terrible at actually identifying and canceling anything for me anyway, so it's not a huge loss anymore. It was a good idea, but something seems to have changed over there.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I really like Sunrise as far as calendars go.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Also a Minnesotan who takes public transportation 4 days a week, with long walks between campuses on two of them, and I have a job where I'm outside a good portion of the day on the other days, so I also like having accurate, fast weather.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cozmosis posted:

So dark sky released an update today with a 1 line widget. Utterly devoid of anything like time accessed or anything but the temperature and general condition but hey, it's small!

It's got the weather for the next...hour. It's the most useless thing I could possibly imagine.

Also what the gently caress is up with iPay or whatever? It says that it uses Chase Visas, and I have a Chase Visa, and it says it's not usable.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobfather posted:

Hilarious if you think that any weather pattern that matters is predictable with certainty for more than an hour.

In other words, enjoy the widget 5x the size that reports it will be sunny all day with a beautiful background of a sun!

Any Weather thing that doesn't give me a rain percentage chance for the day is totally useless, as that's all I care about.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

illcendiary posted:

Is it the Amazon card? That one's not supported.

Yeah it is. Any reason why?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

xilni posted:

Chase has said cards branded by others (in this case Amazon) remain under the control of the branding entity for deals like this. Consensus seems to believe Amazon views Apple as a competitor, more in the realm of mobile payments than phones, and doesn't want to cooperate, possibly vice versa.

Well that's loving stupid.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yes, one of the largest - if not the largest - online retailers of books, music, software, and movies deciding not to help a company that directly competes with it in those fields to launch a new and potentially extremely lucrative payment model is just loving moronic.

Clearly the people who run Amazon know nothing about how to conduct business.

I don't know about that, but I do know that anytime I'll be using iPay or whatever I now won't be using my Amazon card, but will instead be using a different card. So if their goal was to get me to use their card less, I guess they succeeded?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I would also like an Inbox invite if anyone has any.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

wattershed posted:

So who else got their Google Inbox invite? I've tooled around in there just enough to find it might be cool...but the 15 minutes I've been in the app have accounted for 10% of my overall battery usage in the last 24 hours.

Gonna have to monitor that.

I requested one but haven't gotten it yet. You don't happen to have any invites to send out, do you?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

I've ended up with a 5th gen ipod touch after an insurance replacement and just realised there is no way to queue up a track or album without making a playlist first :psyduck:

Is there a recommended music player app that can do that?

I cant believe I'm having to download a replacement music player for my mp3 player. Goddammit apple.

Picky is what I've been using. It's "picklist" feature is what you're looking for.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

Nah it's 8 now, picky does the job perfectly anyway. Why on earth would that not be a thing in the default player?

I am also I glad to see album art still doesn't sync properly half the time. I always enjoyed that from my og classic.

They ruined the default player in iOS 7. The way it makes you scroll through every song in an album is insane.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Isn't the stock music app the same as is on the ipod touch, though? Why would they assume someone who bought an mp3 player wouldn't have much music?

I wish Picky would change it's stupid app icon, though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Suqit posted:

You can always use Siri to pick what you want to play.

I have multiple songs named the same thing. Either by coincidence or by having live versions. Half the time even disregarding that Siri is pretty terrible at actually understanding the names of songs. And I don't want to be on the bus talking to my phone. That seriously sounds like something a developer who has never used the app they designed in real world conditions would say.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bvoid posted:

"Siri, play song 'Disemboweled Engorgement' by artist 'Extermination Dismemberment'"

*gets kicked out of library*

I'm sorry, I can't find The Howled Engagement.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

nerdrum posted:

Any suggestions for a replacement music app? The stock one is really, really horrendous with 80 gigs of music. "Genius" support would be a plus as well.

Picky. Don't know if it has Genius support, but otherwise it's everything a music app should be.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

ANY decent music apps out there no?

Picky.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Google Maps is great, but not flawless (it does give you the option to submit corrections though, which are usually fixed within a day or two) and it just got an update that makes it look and run way better.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Amazon card now works with Apple Pay :dance:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

I'd pay all my bones for Weather Underground with a frosted glass look.

But it's the Calendar integrated widget that will get most of my bones. It tells you the weather at the time of events.

Even without the calendar poo poo (which is nice) this is exactly what I've been looking for in a weather widget, so I'm sold.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Feenix posted:

My only beef, as cool as it is, is how much space it takes up.

Also who is sourcing the local weather data?

It's coming from Forecast.io

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The new Comic Zeal update totally ruined the app by not showing the names of series or divider labels. What's a good alternative?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

teraflame posted:

Chunky Comic Reader is by far the best comic app I've tried. Gives you tons of options of importing comics, very good presentation and features. I was surprised that it crushed comic zeal so thoroughly.

I'll grab it, thanks. Why would they remove organization from Comic Zeal? There's no point in even having dividers if you can't see what they're named. And not showing the names of series makes doing sub-series (Spider-Man, then within it Amazing and Spectacular or whatever) completely impossible. I don't understand what this guys thinking was when the way it was before worked perfectly.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Comic Book App Update: I tried out Chunky and while it was nice it couldn't do the organization stuff I like with subfolders and such, so I shelled out the $8 for Comic Rack. The way it scrapes Comic Vine is kind of clunky, but I've decided to just deal with it because the UI on the app is so good once it's all set up and working. Would highly recommend now since Comic Zeal poo poo the bed with the last update.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Feenix posted:

Ecoute is no longer free but $1.99. Please explain to me what makes it so special. I am curious. I have heard a ton of people saying "It's great!" but I don't recall seeing reasons.
:)

It's not as good as Picky.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Last Chance posted:

Any good weather, music or podcast apps on the App Store?

Someone needs to make an app that's all three of these, but does just like, one small thing wrong with each of them. Just to drive everyone on this forum crazy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

ComicRack does this, but the desktop version is Windows only and while the desktop version is free, the iOS version is $7.99.

That is my setup since I've used ComicRack for years and my stuff is all cataloged and filled with metadata...

ComicRack is the current best comic app since Comic Zeal removed putting labels on it's folders for some reason.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

Interesting, Microsoft is buying Sunrise. I really like the app and it was't clear they had an actual business model. Apparently it will be kept alive as a stand-alone app while slurping tech into other Microsoft products.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/04/microsoft-sunrise/

Apparently Microsofts new business strategy is to buy all the apps that I use to replace the stock iOS versions (because they are terrible).

If this means my Windows calendar will automatically just be my current Sunrise calendar, complete with all my iCloud stuff that's on it, this is the best news ever.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basically everyone I know uses gmail for e-mail. Literally none of them use Hangouts. It's definitely a "special snowflake" app when it comes to normal people.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

That clip of Hardcore History using smart speed has just made my thoughts that it sounds terrible even stronger. Like...there's a cadence to Carlin's speech, and those pauses are there for effect, and this just eliminates both of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Malloreon posted:

Your friends on facebook aren't talking to you. they're talking to everyone they're friends with. Your actual friends call/text/email/see you in person.

But most of my talking to people on Facebook is using Facebook messenger, because it can easily be used cross platform and every single person I know has it.