Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

And thus you will be forever a poor.

Not using e-mail for personal things=being poor.

You're a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

AirVideo is real good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

I just downloaded and started using it yesterday. It's not using location services at all, just wondering if anyone else noticed it.

I've never noticed that before. I'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling, because maybe something got hosed up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Facebook app doing something poorly? I don't believe it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Downcast is the only one that lets you import your own files, so it's the best.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Chakan posted:

You've never seen DarkSky, have you? It doesn't matter if you're going outside, it's a very fun app.

Solar is better than DarkSky at this.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I wish Minneapolis/St. Paul metro transit would just loving port their Android app over to iOS. They don't seem to have any open sharing of their real time data, so every other app just uses the posted schedules, which are often wrong. But the Android one I used to have used real time directly from them, and was almost always dead on. It upsets me that it's not on my current phone.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I never had any crashes with the default app, but when I stopped using it it was because there was no good way to sub to podcasts that required login information.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The blu-ray.com app is really good for cataloging.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Downcast is still better than Overcast, actually.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Teddybear posted:

... That's kinda weird that he's not giving you a cut for your work, isn't it?

If he sold it then he did get paid for his work, just in a lump sum and not a royalty thing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Seeing as the beta is out for the Apple Music app redesign, does anyone know if it still makes you scroll through every single song in every single album for an artist? If it does that's going to completely kill my interest in signing up for the new service, because I'm still never going to be using their stock app for stuff if it's still that poorly designed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

Looks like yes

Well then gently caress them and their new subscription service. If they can't even make their app functional I see no reason to give them money for the benefit of using it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's what I use right now, and it is awesome (except the dumb icon). I was hoping that I'd be able to go back to the stock app with this redesign though, because it has more features than Picky. But the one part that really needed an overhaul is the one thing they didn't touch for some reason.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

rear end Catchcum posted:

What major features? I guess needs (or desires) vary from person to person, but all I want my music app to do is organize and play my music.

iTunes radio stuff, genius, and now the Apple Music streaming crap.

Supgaiz posted:

I don't know how it works in 8.4, but in the beta for 9 viewing an artist seems to list all songs grouped by album if you have 3 or fewer albums by them. If you have 4 or more it just lists the albums.

If this is the case I can totally live with it.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 9, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

The wording is confusing, but I believe Apple Music will do everything that Match does. I think Match is just being kept around for people who don't want to pay for Apple Music.

Is this true? What I've been seeing about Music is it's not an iTunes Match replacement and the two will "work together" somehow. If it does everything Match does but also gives me the streaming then I'll be cancelling my Match immediately when this launches. Do we have confirmation of this anywhere though?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I really hope that works exactly how it sounds. I was slightly miffed about the prospect of giving them $10 a month and still having to pay the $25 a year for Match on top of that. Not super angry or anything, because whatever, $25 a year is cheap, but if I don't and can still get all the functionality of Match with just the Apple Music sub, I'm pretty stoked.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Minidust posted:

Welp, I'm out then. Thanks for the clarification guys.

We don't know if it's the same with Apple Music though. I would assume it wouldn't upload stuff that matched things in their streaming library, as the way it's worded says specifically: "If you have music that’s not in our catalog, we upload those songs from iTunes on your Mac or PC."

That makes it sound like for Apple Music if it's in the library it doesn't upload it because why would it when they already have it there.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flosofl posted:

Well it already doesn't upload songs that match regardless of where you bought them. But from the wording on the iTunes Match page, if you bought the songs from say, Amazon, you get access to the iTunes store version for iCloud storage and it counts against your 25K total.

Yes, but that's iTunes Match. This is a streaming service. So you're already paying them $10 a month to get access to the songs in their streaming library, so why would it count stuff you are already paying to get access to against your song limit?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

queertea posted:

So who's going to try Apple Music tomorrow? I hope it's good enough to get me to unsubscribe from Spotify.

It's free for three months, so I assume everyone? I'm really looking forward to it, personally, and hope the servers don't crash all day long so I can actually try it out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Apple Music is up, and I've messed around with it a bit. Right now it seems like the servers are getting hammered and a lot of stuff isn't showing up. For instance, when I go to an artist in my library, I don't get the "All/My Music" switch from the keynote. And Beats 1 Radio isn't loading. And no track lists from albums/playlists will load, although they will play if you just hit play album.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Beats Radio is already up, but it's just playing some ambient piano music. There was also a quick moment where you could hear people talking, asking if "everything was ready and alright?"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Feenix posted:

Oh this song is terrible. not that great.

You were right the first time. It seems like it fell out of 2005 when all those bands like The Hives and The Vines and whatever were super popular.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So are any of these adblockers ever going to work with Chrome on iOS?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Chrome on iOS won't even allow you to use a 3rd party keyboard anymore because they all suck rear end on iOS

This is why I stopped using Chrome because Swype works fine for me and I'm not going back to a normal keyboard. Safari also has ad blockers now, so Chrome can basically get hosed on mobile.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I just put Audiobooks into Downcast. Works perfectly.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Downcast imports audio dragged and dropped into it on iTunes 100% fine for me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

hadji murad posted:

Weird, where do you find it in the app afterwards? Quite possible I missed it.

More>Tools>Import Media Files.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

With Sunrise shutting down, what's a good calendar app to replace it?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Did the new Google maps update literally make it impossible to turn off voice guidance, or am I just missing something obvious?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Michael Scott posted:

Why aren't you guys using Waze?

I need a GPS at work and the only integration we have is for Apple Maps (ha ha, no) and Google Maps.

Also jesus christ, like...sure keep, that tiny button, but why did they also remove it from the loving settings screen?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flosofl posted:

OK, I'll bite. What's wrong with Apple Maps? I know it had issues of route fuckups when it came out, but it's been pretty solid these last couple years. I've used it on cross-country trips twice.

The only two GPS programs I've found to be accurate for me these days has been Apple Maps and Navigon. Google has constantly missed newly minted roads or neighborhoods enough that I won't ever consider using it again.

It's traffic stuff isn't at all accurate, and it's information for suburbs around my area is all total poo poo. Even some of the city stuff is wrong. With Google I get a wrong place, or the marker in the middle of the road instead of on the building maybe 1/100 times. With Apple it's closer to 1/10.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hey, so I updated to the ios10 beta, and when trying to download netflix to my ipad it won't do it. I thought it was probably a beta issue, but trying to download it on itunes on my PC also doesn't work. Anyone else having similar issues with the app store or is it something on my end?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Is there a good readability replacement? They're shutting down their read it now stuff.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What's the best grocery list app? I don't need cloud sync but a barcode scanner and not looking like total rear end would both be nice.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hiya is good and updates the database automatically.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Can you export a list of podcasts you're subbed to and which episodes you've played/not played from iTunes to import into another app? And if so, how?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I finally switched over to Overcast. Just couldn't deal with the lovely new way Stations work in the Apple podcatcher anymore.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I can't believe it took you that long!

If you're someone who listens to podcasts with any regularity and wants any features in a podcast app whatsoever, you should ditch the stock podcasts app ASAP.

I used to use Downcast, but wanted to be able to listen to poo poo on my Apple TV, so I switched. Overcast is much better though, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

fordan posted:

You can AirPlay Downcast to the Apple TV as well? At least as far as I know there’s no Overcast app for the Apple TV, so I’m not sure how you’re doing it other than AirPlay?

Still a fan of Downcast’s customizability, like being able to create a “morning” playlist where it always starts with NPR’s hourly news summary (the feed for which only keeps the most recent podcast and streams it when played rather than downloading a new one every hour), then plays one or two other news podcasts in chronological order, then a lower tier of podcasts to fill the rest of the time. Overcast isn’t too far off with smart playlists and priority podcasts but doesn’t have quite the same level of customizability.

The Apple TV thing has become less important to me. Basically I just wanted something to do podcasts with and I could upload to that I didn't need to connect to iTunes. Overcast was it.