Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only thing I wish I could get from a podcast is making an auto playlist from a single feed where only podcasts when certain key words in their name get added. I've got a patreon feed for an entire network and would love to be able to auto filter by show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What's the best Twitter app if I want something simple that shows me everything posted in chronological order and doesn't skip tweets?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tweetbot was basically what I was looking for. Thanks guys!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jazz Marimba posted:

Its word recognition is mediocre; you can't add words to the dictionary, only replacement text; half the keyboard doesn't have alternate characters via long press; using common symbols like []*=<>~ take four taps when they could be a long press; and it's missing symbols, e.g. the degrees o.

If it makes you feel better, Swype on iOS was loving garbage.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

All third party keyboards on iOS suck balls

iOS 12 beta has finally made them work like they should, but yeah, pretty much. If the stock keyboard could do Swype style stuff I'd be using it. But instead it's Gboard for me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobfather posted:

That's interesting. Out of curiosity, what have they fixed?

The big pain points for me always were:

1) 3rd party boards are slow to load (especially Nintype)
2) They don't work everywhere (like from iMessage from the lock screen)
3) Pressing the globe icon to round-robin through the boards is slow, and pressing and holding the globe icon has a delay (and doesn't work with force touch, which is a whole other WTF why question)

Did they fix any of these?

All of those are fixed. It's the main reason I stayed on the beta despite the other issues it introduced. How fast they load was night and day in particular. The globe isn't QUITE as fast as I'd like but still better.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I know I could just use a to do list to do this, but does an app exist you can put in a bunch of movies and TV shows and then mark as you've watched them?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What if I want to swear but don't want to fill my contacts list with garbage entries?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

priznat posted:

Dammit! Why does everything gotta suck.

I actually moved over to Plex/PlexAmp for a bit but I miss not having new music discovery and not being able to just listen to whatever. My saved music library has a very “trapped in amber at a specific time” feel to it.

Good roundup of the other streaming services above too, thanks for that!

Kinda wish iTunes Match was still a thing but that seemed to just disappear. E: oh weird apparently it does still exist??

I think iTunes match is gone as a separate thing but it's always been baked in as a feature in Apple music.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

withak posted:

All apps are garbage.

Steve Jobs was right.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ihatepants posted:

Can anyone recommend a package tracking app? I just recently switched from android and the unrelated Deliveries android app is far superior to the iOS one with the same name, even with a premium subscription for the iOS one from purchasing it years ago.

My main problem with it is that it’s really slow to update when packages are actually delivered. Sometimes hour or two after it’s actually dropped off. There doesn’t seem to be a way to change how often it checks for tracking updates, either, which was a feature of the Android app. It’s not as important for me anymore since my wife and I bought a house but when we used to live in an apartment this was absolutely necessary since we had one of our neighbors actually stealing poo poo like our food deliveries and I’d like to have the same functionality again.

It also doesn’t update the delivery date listed even if the carrier changes it (I’d get the notification that the delivery date is changed but the app doesn’t actually change it and I can’t edit the date either without manually deleting it and adding again).

I’ve also tried Slice and Route but I’d prefer an app that doesn’t need to have access to my mailbox to trawl for deliveries.

I use Shop. It's pretty good. But it does need mailbox access.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I use Shop for parcel tracking.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm so glad I don't live in some backwards rear end state with toll roads. Just raise taxes slightly you lunatics.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

wooger posted:

They’d have to raise them a lot.

Road maintenance is really expensive, and property taxes in basically any suburban area don’t come close to covering the cost of road maintenance - let alone rural areas with huge stretches of road between things.

The road maintenance costs are the same per area of land whether it’s in a poor rural state or NYC, and there are very few people to tax in one of those.

They should raise them a lot then on the richest people in every state, then. If you can afford a mcmansion you can pay more taxes. Tolls. Ridiculous. Like we're living in loving feudal England.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

xzzy posted:

Crank up them gas taxes and registration fees, make people who actually use the roads pay for them.

(which to bring this derail back around, is the justification for toll roads)

(also bathe in the tears of gas guzzler owners who whine that hybrids/EV's pay less)

This is also a good solution. Anything other than having to stop every five miles to give a guy in a booth $5.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm going to add to the chorus trying you dissuade you from stalking your kids. If you don't trust them to go out and drive, then just don't let them go out and drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hey, just trying to help. But if you wanna LoJack your kids go for it.