Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Been curious about Plex for a while. I assume it allows me to stream non-iTunes formatted video from my computer. Would I then be able to airplay that content to an Apple TV? It'd be cool if I could play any old video on my Apple TV without jailbreaking (even if I have to use my phone as a middle man).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Great, thanks for all the Plex feedback. Setting up the PC client now!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I tried out Swiftkey for a bit. Nice features but it seemed to really jank up the whole phone experience, at least on a 5C. There was some weird behavior like the keyboard disappearing while trying to type in the Safari search bar. And it was a pain to switch back to the main keyboard just to get to the emojis. I'll probably be avoiding 3rd party keyboards unless the integration gets smoothed out.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Can the default weather widget not be turned off independently of the location ETA thing? That's annoying if true. So if I want to keep location ETA and try a custom weather widget, I gotta cram two weather widgets in the Today screen.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Has it been said whether Apple Music has the same 25K song limit as iTunes match? I'm not looking to discuss whether anyone "needs" that much music. It's just that if I have to start picking and choosing what to include from my library, I'm not gonna be interested in the service. The selling point seems to be the convenience of having ALL your stuff available.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Welp, I'm out then. Thanks for the clarification guys.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Waze has Arnold Schwarzenegger voice prompts.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Are aftermarket CarPlay units a thing yet? Might be car shopping, and by extension, head unit-shopping soon, so I was wondering.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

bobdigi posted:

Have you taken a look at TeamViewer? It's free and has apps for iOS/Android/Win/Mac.
Teamviewer is great, please nobody let that weirdo ruin it for them. I use it literally every day to remotely edit things on a media server. I haven't used it on iOS but can vouch for the program in general being quality. No freemium garbage, just one of those honor systems where you're supposed to buy a license if you use it for business purposes.

The new Waze update is annoying. There's an element of jank to this UI refresh that hasn't been there before. Seems like any time I interact with the map it un-does my "north up" lock, it often stays zoomed way out for some reason, and the centering on my car icon is wonky and inconsistent (it usually keeps the icon near the bottom of the screen). I wonder if they're optimizing it more for the 3D map, since my issues are mostly top-down 2D problems.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 21, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

tuyop posted:

I stick with all the default settings for map orientation and stuff and as far as I've seen, the UI is a big improvement in terms of actual usability. All the regularly used elements are much bigger and fewer taps away. It's great.
Yeah I gotta say the new sound options are great. I love that I can turn voice prompts on and off without leaving the map now.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there an app that lets you check off all the subscription services you have access to, and browse their respective movie catalogs in a unified search? And going one step further, is there such an app that lets you add your own video collection as well?

Use case scenario - my wife wants to watch a romantic comedy when we get home. She pulls up the app, selects a genre filter, and sees results from Netflix, HBO Go, and my own blu-ray collection. That sort of thing.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The theoretical app would just provide a list though, like instantwatcher.com . No need for an individual's login info.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You might want to look at an app called FanTV. Not sure if it does a genre search, but if you search for a movie/show, it'll tell you which services it's available on, and if you have that service's app installed, you can open it by clicking in the FanTV app to watch it.
This is pretty close to what I was hoping for. Thanks!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Any good video game collection apps? I'm playing around with CLZ but it took about five minutes to find holes in the database (weird obvious stuff like having NES Remix 2, but not the first one).

EDIT: After some searching I think "Game Vault" may be my jam. "Videogame Backlog Manager" is a bit clunkier, but seems promising too.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm starting to mess around with IFTT. What exactly do these extra "DO" apps (DO Button, DO Camera, DO Note) allow me to do that the main "IF" app doesn't? Pretty sure I'll just delete them but want to make sure I'm not missing out on some functionality I might like.