Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm not sure why there's still so much hate for the Podcast app. I haven't had any problems with it.

The only thing that's annoying is I usually stream from a podcast's Feed instead of downloading first. If the app starts an episode I've already heard I'll obviously skip it, but if that podcast gets removed/added later, the partially listened-to episodes will appear in Unplayed as ready to download, cluttering things.
It's been said, but my pet peeves with the stock app were as follows:

1) You play your podcast, you sleep the device and keep listening. You hit home, swipe up, and pause (or pause from headphones). An hour or two later? Good chance you can't resume without going all the way back through the app. Overcast doesn't have this problem.

2) Playing a podcast at anything but 1x? Need to unplug your headphone jack? Good chance that the track will play with no sound when you resume, necessitating a force close and restarting the app. Also, the app lost your place. Overcast doesn't have this problem.

I also found the "auto-deleting played episodes" function in the stock app to be very spotty. Overcast deletes it as soon as I've played which is what I want.

This is all leaving aside Overcast's web interface, which maybe other apps have too. I am very happy with Overcast these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Kaizoku posted:

I've had this problem with all of the major podcast apps on iphone 6+ -- Downcast, Overcast, and Pocket Casts, so YMMV there. Didn't try apple's podcasts cause I gave it enough chances during a full calendar year.
I guess I should clarify my experience are solely with a 5S. Had the "bug" with the stock app but not once with Overcast. It is a really, really annoying bug.

ChetReckless posted:

The only thing I don't like about Overcast is there are only two states for any podcast: on your device or not. I wish there was some kind of "previously played" status for podcasts that have been listened to and deleted. When you're going through the back catalogue of a podcast it is handy to know at a glance which ones you've heard without having to dive into program descriptions.

Otherwise Overcast is great. The Smart Speed is cool (23 hours saved for me) and it stays longer in memory (so I can resume from the control centre) than any other podcast app I've tried.
I agree. Marco is kind of pathologically against cluttering up the interface but that is one user-facing flag I'd like to see. The stock app can technically be better for this but the watched/unwatched icon can be very buggy which is worse than not having it at all.

I'm only up to 9 hours saved myself but I love having a little granularity in playback speed.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 7, 2014

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

It's really fast for moving a bunch of (PDF) documents from Dropbox (or similar) to device storage. Annotation/bookmarking is also big. It can also save YouTube videos to storage!

E: beaten hard on the Youtube thing.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

If a developer makes you pay for an app then stops updating it to make a "new" app that you have to pay for again, that makes the developer a fucker.

That seems to be the implication with the Overcast developer.
That isn't the case with Arment. The case with him is he's a wealthy, mouthy, talented, lucky man with interesting friends in tech and most people are jealous of him for one or more of those reasons. He is aware of this and rightly gives no fucks, making people react even worse.

His only other major iOS app was Instapaper and he supported it for 5 years, then sold it, and it continues to live to this day, now free where it was like $10 or $15 on release.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

Ok, bit the bullet and bought the in app goodies in overcast. Question though, how do you add password protected podcasts? As in, where do you input your log in details?
Little digging brought me to a comment in the iMore review from 4 months ago:

quote:

Password-protected feeds are not currently supported though I did see a tweet about somebody getting it to work by pasting the username and password in the URL.

May want to submit some feedback to make sure it's on the feature list for an update though?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Just to update the "Overcast sucks because no imported media" tip, the latest episode of Accidental Tech Podcast addresses this issue to an extent. Marco has the functionality for his own personal version but is currently canvassing the legality of allowing imported media for all users. This is because it would necessarily need to go through the web player as well, and he is not sure where he would be (legally) if people used Overcast to have him effectively webhost potentially pirated content.

So, if he does get comfortable with the concept all the work is already done for the feature.

It's a pretty sensible concern and I guess it's just the bad comes with the good of having a decent web player.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

Did he mention adding password protected podcasts to the app?
Not specifically, but based on the context of the conversation I don't think he has any real issue with the idea. He admits that he doesn't tend to do things that he doesn't see sufficient demand for. The iPad version of the app only came as a result of an iOS8 bug forcing his hand. The overall conversation was that he is not inclined to do an Overcast Mac App despite the limitations of the web player.

What's your password protected podcast, anyway? I wouldn't mind tweeting/filing feedback to him as well, it seems like a reasonable if niche feature.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

Thanks. It's the wrestling observer members podcast.
Done (tweeted and email feedback). You may want to contact that podcast directly and ask if they have a URL "hack" like the one Disappointing Pie (and I) have referenced. Couldn't hurt to try, at least.

It's hard to say if a podcatcher could even have a one-size-fits-all password-protected podcasts login, now that I think of it. Does yours work in iTunes or anything else, or have you always just been logging in, downloading manually, and uploading via iTunes/Podcasts.app?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

tuyop posted:

The in-app OCR sounds great but what else does it do that Scanner Pro doesn't?
Based on my experience with Scanner Pro since iOS8: work reliably.

I've made the switch over at this point.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I guess I'll give Scanner Pro another go, in light of evidence that it's not iOS8-broke, but Scanbot remains a fine substitute for the price of free.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Bummey posted:

Is there an app to track all my weather apps?
Yes, there is the Appshopper-like Whether? which keeps tabs on all of your weather apps and is able to recommend "whether" or not you should get the THE newest, best weather app, or whether your weather app is still the THE best weather app.

It seems like it is broken in iOS8, because the answers for its recommendations are locked to "no", as is its assessment of your best weather app.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Well that explains a bit.

Personally, I hate the carriage returns for @-names, and that user icons are now half-sized on my install. Ugh. The future sucks.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

smr posted:

Little reason to use the native Twitter client on iOS when things like Tweetbot and Twitterific exist.
At one point I might have shrugged but yeah I should look into something different I think.

Any recommended that happen to be free or like $1-$2?

e: Never mind, I'll just give Twitterific a shot if it's free.

ee: Hey wait native Twitter is back to how I like it again. Yee.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 29, 2015

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

tuyop posted:

Can Overcast import files from my computer? Some podcasts I like aren't available as streams and you have to download and put them on your podcast app. It was working great with the Podcasts app but I've decided to forget getting that to work ever again.
Not currently.

Kenny Logins posted:

Just to update the "Overcast sucks because no imported media" tip, the latest episode of Accidental Tech Podcast addresses this issue to an extent. Marco has the functionality for his own personal version but is currently canvassing the legality of allowing imported media for all users. This is because it would necessarily need to go through the web player as well, and he is not sure where he would be (legally) if people used Overcast to have him effectively webhost potentially pirated content.

So, if he does get comfortable with the concept all the work is already done for the feature.

It's a pretty sensible concern and I guess it's just the bad comes with the good of having a decent web player.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

It's probably more of a lack of motivation. It's not clear that doing the work would actually make the app sell better and he is extremely clear that he thinks in those terms. He does respond if enough people clamor for a feature (see the iPad port) so maybe try submitting feedback with that suggestion.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Crystal Ad Block has apparently entered a deal where companies can pay him to be whitelisted from the blocklist. Glad I got it while it was free. Probably gonna switch to Purify.
I saw that on Twitter. Good thing you can use multiple ad blockers at once.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

He doesn't go by @reckless for nothing. Did you even see his studded leather bracelet? The man's a real maverick.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

wooger posted:

Can anyone with a 6s or 6s+ confirm that this "App Switcher via 3D Touch" trick works in the released version of iOS9?
http://www.iphonetricks.org/iphone-6s-app-switcher-3d-touch-trick/

I've gotten conflicting reports. I don't use an iPhone myself at the moment, though have a bunch at work for testing. The biggest barrier to me switching back is having to press the home button 2000+ times a day to switch apps, so this could be big things for me if it's nice and quick.
Yeah, it works, and it's a nice feature. Just goes back to the previous app but still pretty handy.

How could you be getting conflicting reports?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

So far the major learning curve is when you want to long press to delete or move an app around. But once you get past that it makes sense, the haptic feedback makes it pretty intuitive.

It's really quite useful for sorting through emails.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

dexter6 posted:

You can use it to go back to any app. I just did.
Uhh hey yeah you can! Nice.

Takes a steady hand but this 3D Touch thing has potential.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

PFlats posted:

"I felt ridiculous wearing the Milanese Loop, so I didn't." - Nilay Patel
Update:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

I'm pretty sure they've said in the past it will be a free update.

I've been checking all my apps. So far:
Instagram
Camera+
Apple Store
Twitter
Shazam
Things
Acorns

All have 3D Touch actions on the home screen.
Dropbox and Scanner Pro do too.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

It's also a fair bit improved, too.

I was a $5 unlocker and it seems worth it to get these features. Never mind that I got my money's worth over the past year just for Smart Speed, Voice Boost, and granular speed.

e: Yeah. 3D touch on SpringBoard. Hell yeah!

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 9, 2015

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

There's a way to make it work if you put your credentials in the podcast URL, but it doesn't do it natively.

Disappointing Pie posted:

I've had luck with password protected podcasts (Giantbomb specifically) by inserting the username and password into the URL.

Something like:

code:
[url]http://username:password@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/[/url]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

The Milkman posted:

I searched the thread for Overcast and didn't see that post (probably because it's not in that post). I did try that yesterday and it said no feed available, but it worked just now so hurrah
Glad I could help. If you hadn't mentioned GB in particular I probably wouldn't have remembered.