Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Doesn't matter if the Acompli privacy policy says they won't sell that info, that's not the point. Their credential db is a goldmine for someone who wants to break in and extract logins to use on attacks elsewhere.

Taking a look at their security overview, there isn't a "credential db" goldmine. Instead they isolate user accounts, so an attacker would have to individually decode the accounts each user uses. That would be the most common sense way to run an email proxy service.

In any case, I think it's kind of funny that we have have a :tinfoil: warning for Acompli, and none for Mailbox. Mailbox also uses a proxy service, doesn't promise to delete all your data when you leave, and is owned by a company with Condoleezza Rice on its board of directors. And there's no way to delete a mailbox account, meaning that I had to manually deauthorize Mailbox from each of my gmail account when I was done with their service.

As for why use a proxy service at all, I think a lot of Acompli's features (email scheduling, fast searching and sorting, push notifications for everything) wouldn't work as well at all or as well if it had to refresh with multiple services at once or keep track of everything on the device. You're right that it they should make it clear that it's a cloud service and not just an app, but to my eye they are a cloud service worth using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Probably the usual video formats would be my guess.

:filez:

Need a good player for my animes.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you need driving directions you might want to try Waze. It's a driving app that adjusts your route based on traffic and lets users report road hazards and the like. They were bought by Google a while back so you get the same traffic information in their app, but I still like the Waze app better. There's a night mode and if you don't like the extra alerts you can turn them off.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bvoid posted:

Will Waze notify you via Text-To-Speech about shorter routes? Google Maps does it, but it only seems to show up on the screen.

Yep! Changing your route because of traffic is its main feature.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Sounds great until the first exploit is found that dumps your entire keystore to some lovely f2p game and uploads it to a server in Russia.

How would you do that? the 1password extension only copies two things and only the ones you specifically tell it to.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ICHIBAHN posted:

Any stable, reliable apps out there yet? Swype and SwiftKey are dogshit still.

The reason third party keyboards feel unreliable are due to issues with iOS, and nothing on that end has changed yet. It is usable, but you will get obnoxious delays in switching keyboards and in the keyboard launching in situations like spotlight, with every keyboard.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It feels so weird to have outlook on my phones dock, but it also just feels so right.

And there are a few changes, like a new font and some animations feel snappier. The undo action thing looks less alarming. Really happy to see that they're still giving that level of attention to detail.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I always kind of wished Acompli's calendar was as nice as Sunrise and wait guess what?

Edit: Actually I can't find anything about this that isn't tech crunch so treat this as a leak, not an actual announcement.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 5, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh man if you haven't been following, Tinder updated their app yesterday and now has a IAP/Subscription model which is more expensive the older you are. It also limits how many swipes you can do a day and if you pay you can switch your location and match wherever the gently caress you want.

It's getting absolutely slaughtered in reviews. People are really sensitive about their swipes it seems.

All good things and I wish them luck making money with their app.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

I don't use Tinder but I hear that savvy users make a second Facebook account for Tinder registration.

Here's the thing, lets say that you do make a second account, and lie about your age in order to pay less. You still end up paying money to tinder, and they get to make a sale that they might not have if you used a real account. And that is in general a lot of work for a dating app, so not everyone is going to do that. Tinder's biggest threat is not people slightly playing with the app while still trying to get dates on it, it's other apps stealing their users.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Grabbed EJ6

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You can redeem app store codes using the camera, using the app store app.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

Is there a way I can listen to FLAC on my iPhone?

Convert it to AAC you dork.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dubstep Jesus posted:

imagine vine but instead of being able to like a thing you react with a selfie instead

that sounds bad

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The content blocking API is 64-bit only. RIP my cute 5c :negative:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

maduin posted:

absolve yourselves of the capitalist hellscape of iphone advertisements by participating in the consumerist habit of buying an $800 electronic device every two years.

I will steal one.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uNHAsolM60

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Full communism now.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Is there any ios app like the jailbreak one tage? That lets you do gestures with swiping like swipe up to close an app, swipe the title bar to sleep, etc. Just gestures I guess

I don't know of one and I'd be very surprised if there was. There's no way that I know of for a third-party app to lock the phone or close other apps, much less register gestures globally. Get used to pressing the lock button I guess.

Also note that there is no need to close apps unless there's a bug and you need to reset it. Beyond a few allowed background tasks that are over very quickly, or some cases where it's very clear that an app is still running in the background like when you're making a phone call, you essentially close an app when you open another one, and get no benefit to battery life for swiping up on recent apps list.

What I'm saying is that I can't imagine why you would want those two things.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Riven posted:

Oh definitely. But until the revolution comes I'm getting my wife a pink iPhone that blocks ads.

I'm legit angry that the pink iPhone is now a lovely "rose gold" and not the fantastic clicky plastic pink of the 5c. I completely understand the reasons for not doing this, and that the 5c was really about pushing people to the 5s, but they totally ruled. It'll never happen but if Apple added a plastic case option to their flagship phone it would really make my day.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Oh sorry it doesn't actually close the apps it just mimics the home button and if you slid up slow it'd bring up the multi-tasking.

Ahh, that does sound cool. I'd never jailbreak my phone but I like that stuff like that is around.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

maduin posted:

Funny that he didn't consider this in the (presumably more than a week) time spent developing/testing the app. I actually sort of think he got a lot of pressure from his publisher friends (Gruber, etc) about it. Note the conspicuously absent link to Peace on DF.

I think he thought it would be a small side project, not the top paid app in the App Store, and he wasn't prepared for that. It's sort of a Flappy Bird situation. Whenever something becomes something everyone has you have to think about a lot more than "is this what I want it to do" when designing something and that clearly didn't happen with Peace.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

maduin posted:

I don't know... He was licensing Ghostery's database and rushed it out the door to compete with all of the other content blockers. He's an incredibly smart guy with a ton of iOS development/App Store experience and definitely knew an app with the hottest new app category with his name behind it would explode. I have to think external pressure (specifically from the crazy Apple journalist circle) got to him.

The marketing of Peace was real weird tho, all thinkpieces and it was a $3 buck app in a world where most apps are free. There was only one screenshot on the app store and it was a settings screen! I think that if he wanted it to be the big success it became it would be an Overcast style free to download and pay to unlock the big features. Compare that to the hard sell that Crystal puts on you.

Marco is close to the Apple press, and I think that if he saw this as his big new project something would have clicked in his head that said "I'm going to make millions pissing off my biggest supporters" and it never would have came out. The take away from all this is that Marco is a real weirdo.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

keevo posted:

I should really find a new site and podcast to listen to. Any recommendations for a podcast similar to the Vergecast?

The Best Show with Tom Sharpling.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

So why don't you explain it in easier terms?

Crystal Ad Block has entered a deal with the AdBlock Plus people where the companies who pay them to be whitelisted from their blocklist are whitelisted from the blocklist.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

:ohdear:

Will visiting their website give me a disease?

Yes.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's not a joke, the entire business model of Vox Media is to be very very good at tracking their users and selling the data. There were proposals to allow users to opt out of the tracking data, the whole "do not track" option, but the entire advertising industry decided not to honor that so frankly this is karma.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The better option is to not read reddit.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have another piece of advice.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What does it change/improve?

New activity thing with a chart and listing faves, follows, retweets and stuff. New tweet composer with a photo uploader that's a lot like messages. Lots of little details have been improved, like profile pages letting you follow and unfollow without opening a menu.

That's just on the iPhone, it's a bigger update for iPad but I haven't checked that out yet.

I'm real happy with it but I'm easy to please. I'm glad they didn't change anything that didn't need changing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

Actually yeah, $.99 is what I paid for TB1 and TB2 iPad. I paid $2.99 for TB3. You’re saying TB4 is somehow worth more than 1, 2, and 3 combined? Laughin my buns off.

An iPhone is $650

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

So what? I also bought the iTunes credit for 35% off, meaning TB4 would only really cost me $3.24 + tax.

I personally am just not willing to reinforce bad behavior by paying full price for an app that could and should have been universal when version 3 was released.

If you are willing to reinforce that behavior, definitely enjoy paying again for TB5 in a year or two! Me, I’ll wait for the inevitable price drop because TB3 and Twitterific still work great!

I've just stolen $5 from your wallet.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why would I pay $5 for tweetbot when the official client is free? Serious question from a not serious Twitter user.

Twitter constantly makes changes to their service in order that back away from the idea of a simple one to many messaging service to one that they can sell more ads on. Twitter clients freeze Twitter to be like what it was about five years ago where it's just your timeline, your @s, and your private messages. It is a product you buy instead of one where you're being sold. And yea, there's no ads.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

I guess that last sentence where you say Twitter isn't just my timeline, @s, and DMs anymore is where I'm too old for this because I thought this is exactly what Twitter is and that's how I use it. Like I literally can not think of any more functionality that's required than seeing my timeline and seeing who included me in a tweet.

There isn't, unless you're Twitter the company and want to make money. This is why people use clients, even though they technically do less because they don't have access to all of Twitter's functions.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hahaha he's taking a pay cut due to his neuroses over how and how many people use his app, and will effectively force other iOS podcast players out of the market. Overcast isn't perfect for everyone but it's good enough for enough people that I'd be surprised if there's enough of a market for the rest to be profitable. Marco you tool.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My goddess has all my personal info and could blackmail me to my wife at any time, and access to my bank account where she only lets me spend when she wants me to. All of you making fun of this, you are just not enough of a man to submit to true feminine power.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ephori posted:

Patronage in Overcast is how Marco is laundering the payola he's getting for pulling Peace

Not a great way to do it, with Apple taking 30%

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xabi posted:

I'm using both Crystal and Purify but they're letting a lot of stuff go through their "filter", unlike proper browser ad blocks. What gives? Am I the only one?

Two blockers will cancel each other out, like anti-depressants.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Eyeo tried to buy Purify and the result was a weird piece of drama. Whatever that was, I don't think they're doing acceptable ads.

(Just use 1blocker)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Should I be considering Amazon for my personal storage? I've never looked in to it and currently use Dropbox.

Slowhanded was talking about Dropbox's business product, and how it was losing clients to Amazon Web Services, which is a different kind of thing from what you're looking for. The more comparable thing is Amazon Cloud Drive, which is really just one of many cloud services that work like Dropbox out there.