Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I'm guessing the answer is no, but I recently converted to iOS from android and is there any way for me to get Swype without having bought it (on iOS) before they pulled it from the app store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Slash posted:

But the google keyboard replacement(gboard) is good and supports swype typing.

Its word recognition is mediocre; you can't add words to the dictionary, only replacement text; half the keyboard doesn't have alternate characters via long press; using common symbols like []*=<>~ take four taps when they could be a long press; and it's missing symbols, e.g. the degrees o.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I've been using Gboard since I asked about Swype a few months ago. I've adjusted to it, but it still has some dumb quirks like if you're starting a word with m there's a good chance you'll hit the backspace key and delete your previous word, word recognition isn't as good as Swype (still great), and I'm still not exactly sure how adding words to its dictionary works (I've had words disappear after not using them for a little while. word recognition on added words is noticably worse). still way faster than the default keyboard though

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

My Spotify student premium lapsed for a day and I got downgraded to a free account during it. When re-upped my subscription my app didn't change back to the premium version, so there's no repeat button. Any idea how to fix this? I tried logging out, and deleting the app (individually but not together. also deleting the app didn't log me out somehow?? any idea what's up with that?)

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Weedle posted:

The repeat button has been moved to the three-dot menu in the top-right corner of the playback screen, where the queue button used to be.

why the gently caress

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Spotify moved the repeat button back to the main play screen, thank gently caress

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

.Z. posted:

Is there an iOS equivalent of Vysor? Something that mirrors the devices screen plus allows for a user to control the device from the computer? Everything I've looked at appears to just be screen mirroring only.

Or is this something that can not be done on iOS?

I haven't used it/know if it's what you need, but maybe Duet Display?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

On the playing screen, scroll up.

This is so loving obtuse it took me ten months and a google search to figure it out. why do you need an extra unnecessary swipe for a core feature??

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Weedle posted:

Yeah system-wide dark mode just makes me annoyed at all the developers dragging their feet. I’m looking at you, Google, Microsoft, and the Guardian.

this. i want dark mode for google voice and gmail already :argh:

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

teacup posted:

So my wife and I now have a kid so we’ve finally set up a shared calendar for events which is good.

She’s going back to work and has a set rotating roster which I set up with custom repeats etc which was easy.

My roster however is 5 days a week with my work being open Monday-Saturday. All my shifts are simple 9-5s though and my day offs are always Sunday and something else but there is no rhyme or reason to it so repeating events won’t work.

Is there a way to just like cut and paste an event , so for example I could set up a Monday 9-5 “teacup @ work” event and then just “paste” it onto my days for the month?

I can’t import from work as we do it on a google sheet calendar :/

Why not create the event Monday-Saturday and just delete the second day off every week?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I’m using the default podcast app and for a while it hasn’t been notifying me when new episodes are released, despite having notifications on. Anyone have any idea what’s going on?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

XBenedict posted:

Do you have notifications on for the individual podcasts in question?

I have notifications on for all my podcasts, and the app has notifications on in global notification settings

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Google Calendar just changed functionality in the last two hours. When tapping on the address in an event it shows options for opening in Waze and Maps, previously it showed Maps and Google Maps. How do I get it to show Google Maps again?

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 11, 2019

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

my main gripe with the stock keyboard rn is that it suddenly stopped referencing my Swear Contact and I have to manually type out profanities again :argh:

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Is there a timer app where you can add increments of time (30sec, 1min, etc.) while it’s still counting down?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I’m not sure which features you want, but I use Feedly and have no complaints (besides it not being google reader :sigh:)

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

the new google maps icon is ugly as sin. just give me my dark mode in gmail, dammit

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

TraderStav posted:

X-posting from the iPad thread.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but hoping to describe it and see if anyone know what kind of app may be out there to help.

I'm looking for an app that can very nimbly and quickly handle PDFs and/or images. I want to use my 12.9" pro as more of a hub for my guitar practicing/playing. I'm still very early in my journey and am taking my lessons. I get a lot of sheet music / notes from my instructor that I use pretty much religiously, but would be nice to shuffle them around (like I do in reality) in a linear fashion without much fuss.

I was initially thinking of OneNote, but the interface is a bit clunky and if I wanted to 'rearrange' the order of my pages, it's a PITA. So I'm picturing an app that is very loose with the structure of the pages and can reorder them in almost an infinite flow on the X axis, but also serve to organize them as they get more numerous. Perhaps into binders?

Sorry if that sounds odd, but trying to figure out how I want to organize my materials but also not be too restrictive and put a barrier between myself and the music.

I posted a longer response there, but ForScore! PM if you have any specific questions :)

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I finally got dark mode gmail :cool:

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I now have dark mode gcal

I’m not sure how I feel about this

edit: these are dark times (lol)

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 15, 2020

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

It’s time for my weekly google bitch session.

YouTube has a dark mode
GMail does not (mine doesn’t yet at least)

YouTube has a blinding loving white splash screen
GMail has a dark mode splash screen but a blinding white in box.

What in the ever loving gently caress.

mine are flipped and ooh, i can’t wait until i get dark mode youtube

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

USSAr posted:

Dark mode for the YouTube app isn't automatic with the system settings and you have to go into the app settings to turn it on

this is dumb and thank you

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Does anyone have any thoughts on EpocCam vs iVCam vs Camera for OBS Studio vs anything else? Are they all functionally the same? Seems like they all only support up to 1080p, and none do 4k?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Weedle posted:

mine does a cool thing where sometimes it replaces ‘s at the end of words with .’a

I swipe almost exclusively and it’s pretty good, except for this happening, group is often replaced with grotto (a word I’ve never intentionally used until right now), and a few other occasional weird errors (oh, and word/weird being wrong half the time regardless of which one I’m trying to use)

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

maduin posted:

The ubiquity and experience of Spotify absolutely destroys Apple Music. I would love to move away from it but being able to play anywhere, pick up where I left off, and share a family account with people I’m not also on an iCloud family plan with is just too good.

This

also google just removed dark mode from gcal for me. wtf

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

got gcal dark mode back lol

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK no.

I remember reading I think it was the iPhone thread where someone was asking that same question because the app was showing a conversation from a dead relative and they really would rather have not seen that every time.

iirc it was an ex with messages from just before a nasty breakup, and also iirc reformatting fixed it? it’s def the nuclear option

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

priznat posted:

Yeah I noticed this being a thing even before the update, it was weird. Perhaps eyes alone are enough to unlock?

This has been confirmed by a friend who doesn’t have an apple watch too!

can’t be, mine recently started opening with sunglasses/no mask

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

FCKGW posted:

edit: There used to be 3rd party Youtube apps but Google had them removed. You can read the statement from the creator of Protube which was the most popular YT app here

isn’t this like textbook anti-competitive behavior?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

sometime recently gmail started opening links in safari despite my default being chrome. changed it to safari, it opens in the-app safari browser. changed to chrome it opens in the standalone safari app

any idea how to get it to open links in chrome again?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

double post two days apart lol

any good iOS alternatives to the android INKredible app?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

elgato picked up epoccam last year. it was pretty p good, and they've prolly updated it since

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

what’re everyone’s favorite talking alarm clocks that can say words/phrases you choose or record?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Question Mark Mound posted:

Does anyone remember the Uniqlo Wake Up app from like 7 or 8 years ago? It was an alarm clock app that would play music based on the current weather and a really relaxing singsong voice would read the time out like “Good morning, the time is 7:05am on Tuesday. Today is partly cloudy.”

I’d really like something like this again but I can’t find anything that really does it quite so nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66HgcvgULsU

#things i didn’t know i needed and am now sad they no longer exist

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

has the twitter app just started being constantly in use for anyone else? my screen time jumped to almost 24hrs/day, thought it might be cuz of getting the watch, but checked screen time and twitter is at like 23+hrs/day despite me only opening it via twitter links a few times a week

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

don’t be surprised when they choose a college on the other side of the country to get away from you, when their relationships are all with people who stalk them like you do, or when they stop talking to you the second you’re not providing financial incentives to do so

they’re your kids, not prisoners

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Buff Hardback posted:

I mentioned it in the infosec thread in SH/HC, but 1PW7 is the end of the line for non-subscription use of 1Password.

1Password 8 will require a 1Password.com/.ca/.eu account to use, and will only support the hosted vaults, not iCloud/Dropbox/local vaults.

Something to keep in mind as you plan for the future.

They are offering a few deals to make switching a little more enticing though.

this might get me to switch entirely to apple keychain. any reason I shouldn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

how do i get the built in list of contacts to not pull my address from an email? every time i change or delete/create new it changes it to the (slightly incorrect due to a typo) address