Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I don't really need Premium for my current use case but it would be nice for when I can't use Plex or need to see something right there and then so I may give this a shot. Are there any other notable services where stuff like this works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Have them call a saved number on the phone and leave a voicemail?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Chunky is pretty good. I’ve also been enjoying Yomu for more general reading but it may support comic stuff as well.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Question Mark Mound posted:

Apple serious needs some built-in way to just generate your own Wallet passes rather than assume every small shop or conncert venue is gonna make their own app for making cards.

It would be nice but what I’d really want is more granular control to make geofences to have cards automatically come up when you’re at the store in question. Lowe’s does this and it’s super convenient. Can’t see it being viable unless they hook it into their maps service or something.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’m big into Yomu as it can pull from my Calibre library, sync progress across devices, and can seemingly handle whatever. My only gripe is that they don’t have a windows/web client for true saturation of my devices. They do have a OSX one though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The FCC has a good speed test app.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Anyone got some cool paid apps they want to recommend? I'm tired of ads and subscriptions. What are your best pay (once) to play apps?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Iirc it does that but you have to opt in.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

If you’re taking upskirt pictures with a tripod I don’t think shutter sound is your biggest problem.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So todays the last day of the Dark Sky app’s functionality if memory serves. What are the go to alternatives now? iOS weather is fine, I guess. Carrot’s rude gimmick is cute but not enough to pay a subscription for.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Looks like that may be due to Carrot pulling from a different weather source? Mine defaulted to Dark Sky’s and I presume Apple does the same as they own them.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Remote Desktop, believe it or not.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Was it raining at the closest airport or something? It’s my understanding that weather services get data from weather stations located in places like airports and the like.

I’m not trying to defend Apple’s apparently poo poo weather forecasts but pointing out that there’s probably a reason and that reason is probably out of Apple’s control.

Time to buy a weather station and go down the rabbit hole baby

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The amount of off the books childcare places is exponentially higher than anyone other than people with small children suspect. It's also pricy enough that I don't blame people for going with "cash only" methods to help save a bit on costs. It's kind of insane, we applied to every non-sketch place in the area right after we found out kiddo 1 was coming and we're still waitlisted on all of them nearly 2 years in.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't have a kid but this sounds like something that would turn me off from that particular daycare if I had a kid. If they're going to skip out on business related expenses/paperwork like this what else are they doing?

It’s very funny to me that you think you would have options like “go somewhere else” or “work with the kid around”.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

A LOT of parents use the latter because the former is booked for six to twelve months and they need childcare NOW.

We’re at 18 months so far and the earliest possible chance we have of getting a spot is August and then only maybe.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I recently spent about 4 hours straight doing just that and it’s pretty liberating. Deleted something like 6k emails across all my accounts.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Do those actually work well for those of you that use them? I bought a pack a bit back and it seems to be a tossup on how fast (and occasionally if at all) the phone recognizes the tag. Additionally shortcuts are nice but it’s a pain that you can’t share personal automations more easily.

I should just go get smart wall switches instead of trying to have a non verbal smart bulb controller though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yomu is also good and worth a shot if you use multiple devices to read.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Put the iPad on her iCloud account OP.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It bears mentioning that SAMart has a couple of threads of people selling Microsoft keys on the cheap. LodgeNorth has never done me wrong.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

atomicpile posted:

Free (with donation for extra weather sources), uses better sources than built in wx app, looks good, doesn’t spy on you! That app is a unicorn.

Yet. There is a troubling trend in the FOSS community where devs will launch a well made product, introduce paid tiers, and then yank the free access altogether once they have enough of a base with sunk time and so on. I wouldn’t be too surprised if the app makes changes down the line that are less customer focused; doubly so as weather APIs are pretty expensive if you want anything at scale.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Also on the Yomu train.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

My dude have you heard of RSS?

E- Really though. Reeder can do that all in-house iirc but I use FreshRSS as well the server backend.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’ve been piddling around with Obsidian and it’s pretty neat. Idk about this mind garden stuff, those people are insane.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I like the idea of safari’s reader mode feature but don’t particularly care for using safari for reasons unknown. Is there an app that has similar functionality that’s decent? Is that just instapaper? Doesn’t have to be a “read it later” type thing or a service, just opening the URL and showing the page is plenty.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’m half ready to go off down the rabbit hole of Linux iCloud syncing in a Docker container to get Osidian playing nice on mobile but hopefully the syncthing plays nice and saves me the trouble. Outside of mobile just tossing it onto a network drive is laughably easy.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Demon_Corsair posted:

Got any links to start this rabbit hole?

It’s mostly googling at this point but after further research at seems the most viable way is to use git. That doesn’t bother me as I use git anyway but something more automatic would be nice. I haven’t had a chance to look into it at length yet. I was hoping that rclone worked with iCloud but it apparently doesn’t. If it did the whole matter would be trivial.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I also voice for Google Translate. It has offline support and has worked well for me in my occasional jaunt over to mainland China.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So with the most recent update Deliveries now no longer works with UPS and hasn't with FedEX for a bit now. I got in before they moved to a subscription and while it isn't mission critical it's rapidly losing usefulness as it no longer natively supports two of the three most common shippers in the US. What is everyone else using?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Parcel seems nice but I don't love the subscription. I'll give it a shot and see if I can get by without handing over money each year.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I doubt the carriers allow free API calls on large scale like this app requires, plus the dev does a solid of keeping it working and up to date. $5/yr is barely anything for what you’re getting.

Oh I hear you and don’t disagree. I pay a lot more for Carrot for the same reasons. I wish these apps would allow you to enter in your own API keys to help with this but get why they don’t.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

101 posted:

How much of a discount would you be expecting on $5/yr for bringing your own key?

If you get value out of it, then the devs time and effort is worth rewarding.

About 5 $/yr less an initial buy in I’d say. :v: Though as mentioned due to the sheer range of bullshit entailed in supporting that many companies/APIs I totally get the need for a sub. That doesn’t make me happy about the fact, but I do understand it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

You know what, I realize in a way that I was lovely for saying "what's the problem with $5/year" because for some people counting every single dollar is really important, so I take back my saying that.

I wouldn’t go that far. I come from a place where that was very much the situation and only now have gotten to the point where I feel comfortable spending a dollar or whatever for the lowest tier of iCloud storage and so on. My hesitancy is rooted in that but that wasn’t a read I was getting. It’s a bit of a bummer that what was basically “free” from my viewpoint is likely becoming reoccurring fee but there are good reasons for that as well from a dev’s perspective as hashed out already.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Koala has some new stuff if anyone here is a fern of beep boopin’:

https://youtu.be/2vX6G3v59Bg?si=8SOR_Mw_nD1_iN3_

Warbird
May 23, 2012

If you’re willing to do a bit a legwork Plex + Plexamp might be worth investigating. It’ll let you stream the hell out of your flac and personal library but you’re going to need a computer hanging around to do it and iirc a Plex pass.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

All my stuff is on my NAS so I would just use the built in file explorer to copy stuff locally over the network and then use a flac friendly player.

If you’re that serious about the audio quality and not wanting to futz about with Apple’s proclivities you can get a dedicated music player from Sony or whoever that will play the hell out of whatever and be bog simple to get stuff on/off of.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Are notifications messed up for anyone else? I’m regularly not getting text message notifications as of late. They just show up as app badges and nothing else despite there not being any squashing via focus modes or other settings. Doesn’t even show up on my watch. Doesn’t seem to be everything though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

There’s an Awful.app keyboard you can use. It’s not ideal but it’s available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

What country did you use? I’ve heard Argentina is the best one to use but of course Mullvad doesn’t have servers there

If you’re willing to do the legwork any place you can create a server in can work. Spin one up, toss WireGuard on there or whatever, connect to it and surprise, you have a personal VPN to wherever. It’s how I “move” to India every year for about 45 minutes despite them banning VPNs.