Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

vikingstrike posted:

No, I think he's saying that since it is an Official Microsoft Branded Product now you don't need a special approval to route your email through a third-party service anymore.

Yes, this is what I meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

I'm in the same boat. Their IMAP support doesn't seem to exist; I've got a half-dozen test accounts across a variety of sites (throwaways and spamtraps mostly) and it doesn't work for any of them.

Have you tried it in the last day or so? They just had an update for IMAP this last Friday.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

teraflame posted:

Is there a good scanner app that can handle large files?

Scanner Pro can do multi-page scans. I've never had occasion to do more than 15 color pages, so I'm not sure what the upper limit is.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ZShakespeare posted:

Needing to check email outside of 9-5 is some wage slave crap, and you have my pity.

:iamafag:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Porkchop Express posted:

I always thought checking your email after work meant you were important, that's what I have been telling myself at least.

Nope wage slave. If you try to plan your day, before you're on the clock? Wage slave. Think about that network architecture project during a shower? You fool, you're just giving away your time.

You need to wake up and realize all companies are trying to gently caress you over and putting forth any effort whatsoever makes you a sucker. Promotions and raises are for pussies.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Michael Scott posted:

Box is well known and has a few contracts with huge universities as their cloud storage provider of choice.

Yeah, my company has a contract with Box as well (about 20,000 employees). It really comes in handy moving larger files around internally when ftp/sftp isn't an option. It's also nice to share files among the team without having to hope Sharepoint hasn't poo poo itself. Again.

noirstronaut posted:

Tim Cook has also publicly praised them.

Part of that might be sour grapes toward Dropbox because they declined to be purchased by Apple about 5 years ago (rumor has it)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

aeiou posted:

VLC is back with a new update. Here is the appstore link: https://itunes.apple.com/app/vlc-ios/id650377962 I can't actually find it in the app store with my phone, but I was able to go to my purchased tab and download it from there. That got me the updated version. Here are some release notes by the author: http://feepk.net/2015/02/27/vlc-for-ios-2-4-0/

Apple just yanked it. I managed to pull up the page in iTunes but when I hit "Get" got an error saying "not available for download". When I used your link not 2 minutes after the first time I used it, it now says it's not in the US app store.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

What are the main differences to IFTT?

Workflow is local to the device. I thought IFTTT was Internet facing triggers (like "thing landed in Dropbox, now do this to it").

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Super Dude posted:

I only used it on Android, but I could do things like "My gps shows I'm at home, turn on wifi and turn the sound on my phone."

Really? I honestly thought the recipes could only do Internet related stuff. I'll definitely have to take a look at it now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

What's the snappiest phone app that'll sync to PC/web? I know evernote is popular. Something like the "reminders" app on the iphone but I can easily pull up/sync/add stuff on PC and across multiple devices. I guess adding actual long notes instead of just bullets would be nice too.

I use One Note on the iPad. It's my primary note organizer for work, and I've started a new notebook to use for home stuff too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CaptainPsyko posted:

The App Store is kind of hosed at the moment, but once it's not, there's finally a great free alternative maps/driving directions app. http://360.here.com/2015/03/11/getting-started-ios-basics/

Cynical question of the day? What's their revenue stream (how do they fund this)? I'm real reluctant signing up for a "free" service and handing over data points like "where I am geographically when using app". It's why I'm reluctant to use Google Maps as well, since my data is their commodity as well. I guess I'm still of the mindset that I like the be the consumer that's sold an app, rather than being the product myself that's being sold.

I get that it's probably all VC cash right now, but eventually investors are going to want to see some kind of return on it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CaptainPsyko posted:

HERE is Nokia's mapping product. They make most of their money selling map data to device manufacturers, auto manufacturers, etc. etc. etc.

Also the usual location based advertising when you search for a restaurant type pipe dreams.

Good enough. I was aware of Nokia re:map data, I just didn't realize that was their product (too lazy to research it to tell the truth).

I wasn't thinking about location based advertising, more the sale of demographic data. However much companies claim to anonymize I simply can't get that foil hat off my head. I know it's probably an unreasonable expectation in this day and age.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It's not terrible, but I'd only use it for the auto-lock feature to tell the truth, unlocking the computer can be just as cumbersome as entering a password. But I don't think it's quite ready to pull out of the oven just yet.

At one point when I was testing it last night, something got all messed up with it and I ended up having to hardboot to recover. Currently I don't have the OS X part running.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Diabolik900 posted:

Apps can't just stay active all the time. No disagreement there. The ten minute limit isn't true anymore though. My understanding is that the apps can now have however long it takes to finish whatever they're doing, but with the major caveat that its time isn't guaranteed to be continuous. Also there are a few ways that apps can be woken up in the background, which wasn't possible before.

Wasn't that the issue with Facebook app draining the battery? Constantly doing location updates in the background? 8 is definitely a lot more relaxed in terms of apps that can actively do stuff in the background.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

Maybe it's just me, but OCR on an iPhone has been nothing but horrible.

Yeah, the only time I've ever had good results with OCR of *any* kind is when I'm using either a quality PDF or a document scanned on a flatbed scanner. If I'm scanning a doc with a phone it's usually so I can review later or want a copy with a signature.

Although I wonder if I can use the OCR built into Devonthink Office Pro on a phone scanned document. I'll have to test it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

maduin posted:

I've tried to use Todoist, I've used Things (I admittedly really like Things), I've used Clear, I've used Due, and I've used Wunderlist, but I honestly feel like these are all strange, liminal solutions and people are either better off with Apple's Reminders or Omnifocus, and everything in between is either not doing enough or customizable enough or complicating poo poo that doesn't need to be complicated.

I agree, I've tried them all (except todoist), and settled on Omnifocus. I recommend Omnifocus, but really only for people who are juggling multiple projects and would see value in the contextual views of your tasks. Otherwise Reminders seems to work fairly well for most others.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Does the Amazon music app kill anyone else's battery? My 6+ died really fast yesterday with the Amazon app using the most of the battery, and I wasn't even streaming but playing my offline library.

Did you just download the app and start using it?

Has this been the behavior for a while if you've been using it longer? Did it just start after the 8.3 update?

Another thing to check is to see if it's using location services. Some apps that use location services are buggy and ping your location way too often. I'm looking at you Facebook.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wattershed posted:

The wunderground app got updated and is finally 6+ optimized. I'm sure a lot of folks moved on to other apps but If you've stuck with it now's a good time to open it for (probably) the first time in months. Widget isn't sluggish garbage anymore either.

Oh, boy. Here we go...

:munch:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RhoA posted:

Hmm. I'm not sure what the problem is then. New files that I upload from my computer don't show up on either my iPad or iPhone unless I turn off the wifi and turn it back on. It's really rather annoying.

Mine was never that bad, but I used to see delayed sync all the time. I now use OneDrive for personal stuff (I got 1TB with my Office365 sub) and my corporate box.com account for work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bummey posted:

Downcast is the current hot poo poo goon favorite. It's quite good.

Yeah, either Downcast or Overcast. Overcast has the speed-boost with dead-air reduction, which is some wizard level poo poo. However, Downcast has way more features.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Can we get back to important things? Like weather apps with the best micro-forecasts?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I've been using Apple Maps pretty much as long as it's existed with very few issues. At this point, the only issue Google Maps has over it is a much better search.

I do, too. And it seems weird to me. I use Google maps if I'm trying to find stores and places, but then plug it into Apple Maps to actually do the navigation.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

StorrowS posted:

The turn-by-turn navigation in Apple maps is really off-putting too, it seems to lag behind. Your actual car position is much further down the road than the map indicates, this has caused me to miss turns multiple times.

Wow, that's weird. I've found it to be just as accurate as my Garmin and the old Navigon app as far as positioning. Usually good within 50 feet or so.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

Also: lots of belly-aching about podcast apps. At least I'm discussing actual functionality? Or has this poo poo all been gone over before ad nauseum?

Yes. Podcasts, weather, and passwords.

Every other page. Then it turned into a dark parody of itself. And then it was driven into the ground, emerged somewhere around the South Pacific, re-oriented, and driven back.

So, now whenever someone comes along asking an innocent question about the Forbidden Apps, everyone dogpiles thinking that for sure we're being trolled.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dougbrochill posted:

Well, you would need to have an app that tracks those things and then shares that data with the Health app. I started playing around with Human a few days ago and it seems to work alright.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/human-activity-calorie-tracker/id692721875?mt=8

As for myfitnesspal, as far as I know it won't share your health data by default, you have to enable it in settings. Its been a while since I've used it to be honest.
Here's how to enable that http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/09/26/myfitnesspall-healthkit-update/

My Fitness Pal works great with Health app, but only from the moment you start sharing going forward. Health won't grab historical data from apps.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

iTunes has a "Skip when shuffling option" under Right Click -> Get Info

Also note that you can select multiple songs and edit that option for all of them in one fell swoop, so it's not like they have to do each song one by one. I'm sure you already know that, but I had a friend that was renaming the album titles on a bunch of songs to remove the "(Explicit)" from them. He did them a song at a time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Eight Is Legend posted:

Yeah, I meant how you can start swiping to Archive, but then if you swipe further it turns into Delete, like this:

Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan of Mailbox, but that was a drat cool feature that I wish Outlook had.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

porktree posted:

But Outlook does have it - I just used it.

You mean a short swipe to the left for Archive and then a long swipe to the left for Delete? I can only get it to delete on a swipe to the left. There must be a setting I've missed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Diabolik900 posted:

The wording is confusing, but I believe Apple Music will do everything that Match does. I think Match is just being kept around for people who don't want to pay for Apple Music.

This was kicked around in the WWDC thread, and I think that's my conclusion as well. There still *some* Apple Music features for the free tier, but storing your library in iCloud isn't one of them. I'm pretty sure that's the "they compliment each other" part. I already have Beats Music, so my account gets converted at the end of June, but I'm hoping I still get credit for the free introduction period for Apple Music. Regardless, having the iCloud library storage for streaming and the availability of all of Apple's music library(except maybe some artists here and there) pretty much seals the deal. Their library dwarfs any other (legal) streaming services.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 11, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Minidust posted:

Has it been said whether Apple Music has the same 25K song limit as iTunes match? I'm not looking to discuss whether anyone "needs" that much music. It's just that if I have to start picking and choosing what to include from my library, I'm not gonna be interested in the service. The selling point seems to be the convenience of having ALL your stuff available.

iTunes Match wasn't a 25K limit on library size, it was a limit on how many songs you had that didn't match anything in the iTunes catalog and needed to be uploaded. For me it worked out to about 1200 songs out of over 10,000 when iTunes Match started.

So unless your library is full of things like field recordings you took of Tuvan Throat Singers, you're probably going to be fine.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Are you sure? I thought it was 25k tracks not purchased from iTunes regardless of whether they matched or not. Even still, if it switches to what you're saying with Apple Music (which makes plenty of sense), 25k should be pretty extraordinary unless your library is, yeah Tuvan throat singers and 2 hour EDM mixes.

drat it looks like you were right.

quote:

You can store up to 25,000 songs in iCloud (more if songs are purchased from the iTunes Store)

It looks like songs straight up purchased from iTunes are the only ones that aren't counted against the 25K.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheJoker138 posted:

We don't know if it's the same with Apple Music though. I would assume it wouldn't upload stuff that matched things in their streaming library, as the way it's worded says specifically: "If you have music that’s not in our catalog, we upload those songs from iTunes on your Mac or PC."

That makes it sound like for Apple Music if it's in the library it doesn't upload it because why would it when they already have it there.

Well it already doesn't upload songs that match regardless of where you bought them. But from the wording on the iTunes Match page, if you bought the songs from say, Amazon, you get access to the iTunes store version for iCloud storage and it counts against your 25K total.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

My wife and I share a store account, but have separate iCloud ids. I've never set up family sharing. Short version: Apple music seems to be tied to your iCloud account, not your store account. I'm not sure if this is new or not (I think it is), but her phone can't "see" my library in iTunes Match, but can see Purchased music.

I have a separate iTunes account (tied to gmail address) from my iCloud account (where my email, cal, and iOS backups live).

My Apple Music is tied my iTunes account, not my iCloud account. Same as my iTunes Match account was.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lady Gaza posted:

Is anyone getting sync problems with Overcast? I've still got Downcast on my phone and it's getting new episodes fine, but Overcast just won't synchronise.

I just checked the website and it's all synced up with my client. I don't know about new episodes dropping for today, since none of the ones I listen to added one today. I've definitely had new episodes show up and download to my phone on Weds and Thurs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Minidust posted:

Are aftermarket CarPlay units a thing yet? Might be car shopping, and by extension, head unit-shopping soon, so I was wondering.

Pioneer AVH series has had CarPlay units for some time. I'm not aware of any other brands, but they may be out there.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

smr posted:

I can't do without cross-device syncing and will always pay for ads to go away if that's an option so I stick with Tweetbot on the phone and OSX and Twitteriffic on the iPad (just until Tweetbot's long-promised new iPad version finally arrives).

Eh, the older version is not *terrible* on the iPad, it's just :cmon: and release a new version.

I'm not holding my breath since it took them forever to update the OS X version. And I laugh at the thought of a universal version for iOS, since that would mean they can't charge twice for it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Housh posted:

Does anyone know of the best and simplest app for setting a reminder for every 2 hours? Setting a bunch of alarms is becoming impractical.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/alarmed-reminders-+-timers/id371886784?mt=8

It has an in-app purchase for US$2.99 for "Extras Package" that includes this:

quote:

DayMinders (Extras Package) features repeating reminders throughout the day, such as start at 9:00, repeat every 45 minutes for 8 hours.

I downloaded the free version and it looks like Day Minders is *separate* from the a daily repeat. Do you can set a reminder to repeat at a certain day/week/month interval and DayMinder setting to give you additional repeating within each day. I didn't pay for the "Extras Package" to test since I don't really have a use for this.

Oh, and it hasn't been updated since Sept of 2013, so no iOS8 optimization and it looks all huge on the 6 and 6 plus.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Squack McQuack posted:

Yeah, I tried Megaphone but it wasn't Bluetooth compatible - only wired speakers. This has been the case for every app I've found so far.

Here you go

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/intercom-airplay-bluetooth/id507383706?mt=8

EDIT: eh, maybe not. It looks like it's not a "megaphone" app so much as it is press-button, talk, release-button, app plays over destination speakers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ineptitude posted:

I haven't used the app store for ages and when trying to buy an IAP a few days ago i had to update my payment info before being able to buy. After updating the payment info i got a prompt asking if i still wanted to buy the IAP. I clicked yes, got the "purchase successful" notification and returned to my app, only to find i didn't receive the purchase. Now i have waited for 2 days and i still haven't received my purchase nor an email from Apple with the purchase confirmation. My bank statement doesn't mention the purchase either.
Does that mean there was a hiccup in their system and i didn't buy anything or simply that i need to wait longer? I would like to avoid buying the same IAP again only to later receive 2 of it.

Fire off a message to Apple Support using their web form.

Sometimes Apple will wait for small purchases so it can bundle them together with other purchases to submit to the payment processor. I usually see this for 1.99 and 0.99 purchases. Until it's submitted, you don't get a receipt nor is it reflected on your card. Apple support can tell you if it's in the pipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

the littlest prince posted:

My amex is giving me $5 of free iTunes money. Typically it has to be in a single transaction. If I buy multiple things that all add up to $5 in a small amount of time, say 10 minutes, will they get grouped together? (Sorry, I'm new to iOS.)

Are they giving you a code to add into your store account, or just doing it on their backend for a purchase that comes from Apple?