Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Feenix posted:

If you mean streaming stuff off a computer over the magic of airwaves, PLEX has never let me down.

If you mean watching poo poo in stock-unsupported formats that is stored ON your device, I still have nothing but good things to say about VLC.

From what I can tell you can't get VLC anymore, it was pulled from the App Store.

Otherwise you have a few options but none of them support AC3 audio which makes them a non option for me since I like 720p or 1080p MKVs and most of all of them have come with AC3 audio so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Skype finally got updated for native iPhone 6 and 6+ resolution which reminds me how most of my apps are still not setup for the new phones.

Also how terrible they look when the phone switches to grainy blown up screens.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah, it's one of my last non updated apps and it looks insanely terrible. :rolleyes:

Lucky you.

Yelp, Facebook, AP News, WhatsApp, Google Drive, and countless others for me.

Big offenders are LastPass and Authy which have already been updated for iOS 8 and Touch ID but not native iPhone 6 and 6+.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Facebook and YouTube just got updated for the iPhone 6, about time. Check your updates.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

CaptainPsyko posted:

This is amazingly petty and I can't believe I didn't foresee it.

I really hope this isn't about introducing FirePay or something silly like that.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah it is. Any reason why?

Chase has said cards branded by others (in this case Amazon) remain under the control of the branding entity for deals like this. Consensus seems to believe Amazon views Apple as a competitor, more in the realm of mobile payments than phones, and doesn't want to cooperate, possibly vice versa.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Happy to see everyone working together instead of more fragmentation. I wonder what the delay was all about to begin with.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Martytoof posted:

Hey what do all you Patrick Bateman wannabes use to keep track of people's raised lettering, pale nimbus, white, business cards?

I've been getting a lot of them at my new job and somehow I think I can do better than just taking a photo of them and throwing them in my drawer.

Well, I can do better than the photo part. They're still going to end up in my drawer.

Depends, do you have any existing scanning and/or OCR options available to you? Such as doxie, evernote, etc...

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

ZShakespeare posted:

I'm trying to email a video I shot with my iPhone to a relative, but my phone is complaining that the video is too long and that I need to trim it. I know I can just use dropbox, which I plan to do, but I thought that one of the magic and revolutionary new features in iOS 8 was to be able to automatically send attachments of arbitrary size use iCloud Drive. Am I crazy or is something not working right?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203093

Apparently it's an OS X feature only, although you can access it through icloud.com/mail as well which still isn't any use to you on iOS.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Well it doesn't actually block ads, so there's that. Out of 30 sample european pages, crystal successfully blocked the ads on 3. Blockr is currently 25 for 25.

I've noticed a lot of ads even with crystal. Thank goodness I didn't pay anything for it. Is blockr the only remaining one that hasn't sold out yet and is worth it?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Housh posted:

Any of you guys use the Wikipedia app or recommend one of those Wikipedia readers? Or any other encyclopedias? My reading list is getting ridiculous.

I use Wikipanion.

beefnoodle posted:

I use WikiWeb, and especially like a few of its features, such as the graphic nodes/connections display, the ToC/content toggle, etc.

Do tell, always up for an improvement.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

In the photos app searching "sunbathing" finds all the nudes.

Tried this, only found my post surgery wound picture, was very disappointed even though I can see why it would pick those.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Ugggh I’m at 17 and counting apps that are stuck on loading during update and soon every app I need to use on a daily basis will be locked away. Fair warning iOS 12 public beta 12.

I’ve tried restarting the phone, pausing/restarting the update as well as deleting the app and downloading anew.

Any suggestions before my phone only has stock apps left usable?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Public Beta 12 you say :thunk:

Yep who would of guessed, is it possible to roll back to beta 2, that one treated me right, bought me flowers, cuddled in bed...

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

FCKGW posted:

and I’m just sitting here on ios 11, the best iOS Apple has produced, laughing my rear end off

Public beta 2 might have been the best, amazing battery, felt faster than iOS 11 as well.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

How does it compare to the stock iOS twitter app? I see it removes all sponsored content ads at the very least.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

What’s my best bet for browsing files on my NAS? Integration with the Files app is a plus, it’s a Synology NAS if that matters.

So Synology do ssh? If so Termius is amazing.

Really don’t don’t know much about them sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

olives black posted:

Can anyone recommend a good XMPP/Jabber client?

I used to use ChatSecure years ago. Not sure if it's still the best options but it's worth a try.