Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Does Google Maps on iOS not have a night mode, where it uses darker colors at night? It did on my Nexus 5, but it only uses bright colors on my 6+.

It does not (yet). It's a known feature request - I'd recommend using the shake-to-send-feedback thing and sending a comment on the app saying you want it, if it'd make a big difference for you. Those reports actually get read by humans and taken into account when planning features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

rear end Catchcum posted:

Any reason why Google maps app isn't recalculating my position? It really sucks because I'll be walking, waiting for an instruction, look down and find out I've been off the trail for a few blocks.

To be clear, is the blue dot on the map stuck somewhere? Or did it fail to alert you to a turn and then you went a different way and it never bothered to alert you again to get you back on track?

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

The later. I've had to switch to Apple maps. Kill me now.

Not to be a tease but I just tried it out and I think your problem is fixed in the next (or possibly next-next) release. Can't give you a date on when that's out though. Give it a try next time you see it update (unless it's a 4.0.x, then don't bother).

Riven posted:

And for anything in my address book Maps is more convenient.

Mind explaining what's better? Is it that the OS' addressbook app launches straight to apple maps or is there something else? google maps has contact search in its search-suggestions if you give it permission now, although it's a bit rudimentary.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Jose Oquendo posted:

You can just say "Hey Siri, give me directions to dazjw's house" and it routes you. If you have relationships setup for contacts it's handy too. "Hey Siri, give me directions to my mom's house" and presto.

Ahh, okay, makes sense. Siri doesn't work for me, accent-wise, so I've never really used this stuff. Does sound handy, but not much google maps can actually do there unless apple opens up some siri/default-app stuff. Too bad.

smackfu posted:

Is that new? I've never seen it on iOS, and all I find on Google are complaints that it doesn't exist. Waze does have one.

The android version has it, the iOS version doesn't.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

The new Google Drive update says I can upload from other apps. Problem is, I can't figure out how. I've given it all the permissions it needs.

So there's two things - they've added an iOS8 share extension thing to upload files from the system share sheet
(this might've been a while ago), and they've also added the ability to upload files using the iOS storage extension api, but for that second one the source app has to support it by providing their own storage provider thing. If you're not seeing things in the upload files dialog that might be it (or if it's just that you just literally can't find it, it's the plus sign in the top right corner, then 'upload files')

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I can upload files just fine in the app, but I was expecting to use the share sheet in, say, the photos app to upload without opening the Drive app. unfortunately I don't see Drive anywhere on any share sheet.

Sorry, I got that wrong, there's no share sheet extension, just the file upload thing. Was confused because Snapseed offers a save to google drive thing in its sharesheet but this seems to be done using a different mechanism to the share extension.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

8-bit Miniboss posted:

What's your beef with the stock app? Seems to be OK for me.

It'll randomly decide to chew up huge amounts of battery in the background, is the main thing for me at least.

And no, there's no alternative client that I've heard of and the spec is still unpublished (no idea if they plan to publish it) so anything that does come out is going to be reverse engineered and likely to break.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

flosofl posted:

Cynical question of the day? What's their revenue stream (how do they fund this)? I'm real reluctant signing up for a "free" service and handing over data points like "where I am geographically when using app".

So, on this - you can deny Location permission to Google Maps and it will still work as well as a mapping app could be expected to work without knowing where you are (e.g. you're gonna have to fill in the starting point part of your directions searches yourself, it's not going to know where to put the map on startup so it'll probably be somewhere irrelevant, etc). It's less convenient but certainly workable. I imagine HERE (and the others) would support this as well.
This is one of the best things about iOS - Apple will reject your app for crashing or unjustifiably dropping functionality just because someone declined a permission.

quote:

I wasn't thinking about location based advertising, more the sale of demographic data.

FWIW this does not happen at google (and i doubt facebook or anyone else would either). You can even come up with a cynical reason for why it wouldn't - they make a lot more money selling targeting-based-on-data (which you can do again and again) than they would selling the actual data. Of course, you still have to be happy with the data living on some Google computer even if they're not selling it, which can be a sticking point.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

ephori posted:

Anybody know of an app that can export the call logs? I've found a bunch but they all require local backups, I can't seem to find any that can do it from the phone. I'd like to get a CSV of my call history. Is that even possible?

You can't do this in an appstore app, there's no (legit) API offered to access this. Might be a jailbroken one to do it.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Basically all the maps apps on an iPhone are going to be roughly the same wrt your position on the map - there's not really much scope for doing things to the location data apple gives you. Maybe road-snapping or similar but that's not always going to be right either. Generally you'll find that if you have a bad location in one app you can open one of the others and see the same bad location.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

My Google Maps app kept crashing at random the other day while I was driving and using it for navigation. I think I may just use the Apple one today just for safety.

One of the fixes in the just-released version 4.5 of google maps is for random crashing during navigation; no promises but might work better now?

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

withak posted:

Google Maps can download maps for offline use. It can't calculate a new route offline though

fyi it can as of a few versions ago, driving only though.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

GigaPeon posted:

I'm having GPS issues. Are there any good apps that'll let me check the details like how many satellites I've locked on to?

Not on the appstore, this kind of information isn't exposed to app developers at all.

It's possible that jailbreak APIs might expose it, not sure.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm not sure how Chrome on iOS can be faster for browsing seeing as how it's a skinned Safari.

iirc it has its own network stack which could easily lead to a perceptible difference.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

So what's the deal with ProTube? Is it officially endorsed by YouTube? I pay money one time and then I have the same experience as YouTubeRed or whatever?

A lot of this depends on what technology it's based on.
If it's using the Youtube API for iOS then it's using the official Youtube-sanctioned method for showing their videos (that's not endorsement, more like permission). A cursory read of the ToS for this API shows it to be in apparent violation of several of the terms, of course. Presumably this means it could get shutdown, yanked from the appstore, or forced to start showing ads/prohibiting downloads.

If it's using some custom code to do it all then I highly doubt youtube is happy about it, and while I couldn't speak to the legality of it, I have no idea, it'd be something to wonder about (for the developer).
It also looks like using a player with custom code like that would put your account in violation of the ToS (well, that's my read of the ToS). Oh, and its going to be massively fragile to changes in Youtube's code. Which they do a lot.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm getting really sick of 1Blocker loving things up:

:qq: my piracy isn't working properly :qq:

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Mierenneuker posted:

Heads up, you wrote a dumb post.

had the decency to pay for it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Blocking ads is piracy ahahahahahahaha

Someone make this the new thread title, gently caress

Unironically, for Youtube ads, especially if you're in a place where Youtube Red exists.

There's no malware problem with youtube ads so you don't have that figleaf either.