Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

ufarn posted:

You can only create them via twitter.com - possibly the official app. You can add and remove users from 3PC like Tweetbot.

iirc I made a few lists with Tweetbot 4 the other day, trying to figure out what I want for the extra iPad space.

Edit: yeah, I just go in, hit "edit" and then the + that appears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Sleeping apps stopped working so well for me when I started sharing a memory foam bed with my partner.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I would say Dispatch or Spark.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Avocados posted:

What app is best for testing wifi strength? We're plotting wifi strength around our campus to make a heat map, and something a little detailed may work. Or would the regular Speedtest app work?

What about a general one for cell phone reception? Can an app reasonably measure that?

Thanks beautiful goons.

In terms of cell reception, you could maybe use Field Test Mode: link

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

priznat posted:

This probably got talked about and I missed it but what is up with the embedded browsers in apps these days?

I'm on 9.1 and usually use Purify blocker (but I tried with it shut off) and the browsers in apps like Awful and Tweetbot 4 just go to a blank page, forcing me to open the link in Safari. Did I futz something up or is this a 9.1 issue hopefully fixed in 9.2? Any workarounds?

I only get that trouble with certain websites - Forbes and the like.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I use 1Blocker. It was fine before the IAP, but I like using the tracker and social blockers, as well. I loved Peace, but didn't like the idea of it being abandoned - if another Ghostery app came out, I'd yank that fast.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Spikey Willow posted:

Has anyone had any joy adding premium podcasts to Overcast?
Specifically, I'm trying to add the PWTorch VIP Audio forecast feed.

The site says to use http://www.pwtorch.com/site/feed/podcast/all and add login details. Overcast doesn't seem to give that option so I've modified to
http://username:password@https://www.pwtorch.com/site/feed/podcast/all (tried with https but that didn't work at all).

Now it loads the feed, as in I can see the shows available, but they all fail when I try to download.

Any ideas?

I'd just ask Marco. He's always been quick for support.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

RhoA posted:

Dark Sky

I really just want dark sky available in Canada already

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

ShoogaSlim posted:

The Verge has an article for "must-have" apps for all your new devices or whatever. Workflow was mentioned, and I've seen it featured in the App Store. Why? Does anyone use this (or IFTTT)? I can't imagine it being THAT much of a help over maybe having to open two apps or tapping a few times within one app.

The worst thing about it is that there are literally no good examples of why anyone would spend 4 bucks on this app. "Calculate a tip" and "Walking directions to the nearest coffee shop" are not things I need another app to help me do. I have Calculator and Google Maps, thanks.

I know that MacStories has been all over Workflow, as have a few other indie bloggers. I tried using it, couldn't fit it into my workflow— ironic— and moved on with my life.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I use calm. Used the first version of Buddhify on my 3GS but never bought the second one.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Housh posted:

Still no GBoard in Canada. I hope it's better by the time we get it like the initial iPhone launch.

I'm Canadian and I have it available?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

eightysixed posted:

What's the best Calculator app? I've been using PCalc Lite since iPad 1's launch :stare:

I still use Pcalc, but I bought it to support the dev.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

eddiewalker posted:

Dark Sky has a bunch of custom notification settings. I have it push a full day summary every morning at 7am, then send me a notice whenever precip is starting. It updates location in the background automatically and doesn't seem to murder my battery doing so.

Still want this to be released in Canada 😭🔫

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's always done that hasn't it? You just click cancel when it asks for the YouTube app ?

For my iPhone, it just cancels the request altogether.

Refreshing just brings up the attempt to open it in app instead. Amazon and a few other apps also do this.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Didn't Pocket Casts get smart speed and volume boost in their 6.0 update?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Lblitzer posted:

I don't believe the 5C was compatible with adblockers, as it wasn't a 64-bit OS.

I think he meant the ads.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

cbirdsong posted:

Listen to short podcasts, like:

• 99% Invisible
  • Reply All
  • Lore
  • The Memory Palace
  • Monster in My Podcast
  • Robot or Not?
  • Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

That last one is dope, and I appreciate the list.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I like WeatherNerd, Weather Underground, and Weather Lines. Also stock is p satisfactory.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Weedle posted:

I used to use iA Writer until the developer stopped releasing bug fixes for it, renamed it to iA Writer Classic, and rereleased it as a separate purchase. It was pretty good, but not good enough for my usage to buy twice. It does have a black background and iCloud/Dropbox sync, though.

I remember that. There was a whole curfuffle about the new app and some of its features. I remember the Daedalus (sp?) / Ulysses team adding the features just to troll them.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Housh posted:

Best running/c25k app? Do I use the official zen labs one or the Active Network Couch to 5K running app?

http://thesweetsetup.com/apps/our-favorite-couch-to-5k-running-app/

I've found these guys have p good standards.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

maduin posted:

the other problem with tweetbot is that for some reason it's real broken and doesn't show like half the tweets in threads and is missing a ton of newer twitter features (polls?) and stuff because of API limitations.

I've only ever used Tweetbot until last week when I noticed a few people I followed were asking questions non stop, and upon trying the official app, saw that there were polls.

I'm still not sure of any new official features that aren't covered, just because I don't like that I can't pay for the ads to go away in the main app.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It does on my phone in the Message app.

:iiam:

It also does it for me in Tweetbot and Facebook apps— but not in the Awful app.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

GoldfishStew posted:

Pocket casts vs overcast?

Considering I've already paid for Overcast twice (initial release IAP, and then "donation") I don't want to pay again as a subscription. I've owned Pocket Cast prior to Overcast, and they're still improving it. They both have silence skip and volume boost. So I'm gonna say go for the one that doesn't constantly change it's revenue scheme and continually pushes new updates.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

vikingstrike posted:

This never worked for me and I just assumed it didn't grandfather me. I'll have to try again.

I had installed it on my 7 and assumed I had to pay again. Turns out I am grandfathered for the ads and the toggle was on.

I still prefer that Pocket Casts doesn't change their pay structure every third week.

Consistency matters more to me.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I'd also like my podcast app to track my hydration levels.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I am deeply in love with Email by easilyDo. They manage receipts, package tracking, and a number of other things. Given that it's free, though, I'm curious as to what the benefit for them is for all of this if there isn't a price point.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Red_Fred posted:

OK I am taking the plunge, 6s should arrive this week. From using my 5c over the weekend I know I need at least the following apps:

Podcasts - I used Pocketcasts on Android, is it still good here?
    Alarm - need something that can do pre-alarms and change the next alarm without messing with the normal schedule
    Weather - assuming the default is not great
    Shopping list - could maybe start using Keep for this though
    Twitter - assuming the default is not great
    Pushbullet equivalent - shows notifications for message on your computer (I don't use a Mac)
    Llama equivalent - can toggle settings based on location
    Workout tracker - to track weights etc.

Can anyone recommend anything for me?

Also I notice that some apps are not available in my region (NZ), is that pretty common? It's not something I've ever experienced with Android.

Podcast - Pocketcast
Alarm - Default
Weather - I use Weatherline and forecast.io (Canada, so Dark Sky is not accessible)
Shopping List - Omnifocus for personal lists, Anylist for shared with the wife
Twitter - Tweetbot

Don't use any of the others, so I can't vouch.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
The trick is their Life Cycle app won't show trends on Sleep Quality without the online backup:

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

maduin posted:

I use Better and it seems to work well. The two-person studio behind it seems to genuinely care about what they do and in an open Internet in general, so it’s nice to support that.

I’ve been using Better for some time, but I’m wondering if the trackers will continue to be updated? Last update shown in the app is May and I’ve noticed a lot of ads showing up again recently.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Is Fantastical still the go-to calendar app? Asking for a friend.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

dc3k posted:

Level Money was the best budgeting app by far. The only thing that I've seen that's similar in usefulness is Empower.

Link? Nothing comes up for me aside from Empower Retirement, lol. I went from Jumsoft’s Money to Mint to YNAB and am happy where I am.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Yep

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Sobriquet posted:

Paprika is great but way more than just a grocery list. The only way to share the list is to log in with the same account, though. Also it was $3, but at least we both get it through family sharing.

I just noticed they released a new one. Anyone know if there’s any reason to update as it stands? My version is still working and syncing.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

The Gillman posted:

Due has recurring reminders that has a Watch app

Due was my instant thought.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

XBenedict posted:

Did I not read today that the App Store is going to start featuring a Trial button on some apps?

I saw that Omni and a handful of other apps have done a trial feature on their premium apps.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

priznat posted:

I recall the Rdio app being good, RIP those guys.

I miss that service.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I like Things, was an OmniFocus user before it. But have been entertaining trying out TickTick after listening to Merlin Mann and Dan Benjamin talk about it on Back To Work.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

ATP had a discussion about to do list apps and pretty much came to conclusion that what's best for anyone is personal and none actually fit exactly what Marco wants.

I wonder if Marco will make a to do app, then. That’s how he came up with Overcast after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I like Apollo and Narwhal.

These are the two I use. Narwhal if I’m looking to post, Apollo if I’m looking to lurk.