Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Mister Fister posted:

Thanks. Hmm, so any app i want to do this with, i'll have to install something on my windows server to transcode the video?

Pretty much. And as someone that really liked Air Video HD and used it for ages I urge you to check out Plex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Disappointing Pie posted:

I live in Oklahoma and I was just happy to finally convince myself to spring for Radarscope. It's 10bux but if you want to see if a high velocity mesocyclone's coming for your neighborhood it is amazing.

That is a great app. It took me about 2 storms to decide on spending the :10bux:

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

MrSaturn posted:

What's the use case for this? Where are your podcast files coming from? If they're not attached to a feed somewhere, isn't it technically...not a podcast?

(password nonsense aside, of course)

You sound like someone that did not buy all of the Hardcore History back episodes.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

noirstronaut posted:

Camera+ is good the same way [any overrated thing] is good.
When I had an iPhone my goto camera was Camera+, It was simple to use. I was moving towards Laminar Pro. Occasionally using Camera Awesome, VSCOcam and Perfectly Clear. Try them all find the one that fits best. And be happy that you're not living in the hellscape that is Android Cameras like I am now.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Is anyone using http://www.myphonedesktop.com/ - I'm coming off using an Android phone for 6 months and the only thing I'll miss (other than the frequent reboots and inability to answer 2 out of 5 calls) is Pushbullet letting me handle sms messages from my desktop. I'm on Windows 7. I was ready to grab myphonedesktop but the reviews leave me uncertain. OR, if there's a better way to do this I want to know.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I just asked something similar to that - the short answer is 'no' - but I'm on the fence on spending the $5 to try out http://www.myphonedesktop.com/.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Kempy posted:

Hey guys, I'm just wondering are there any apps that can stream video from my pc to my phone over wifi? I hate pausing my shows when I go out front for a smoke break.
Check out Air Playit - it's free, and does this. It's not as robust as Plex though :smug:

Bottom Liner posted:

Plex is good on my Roku, but it's also free. I don't think it should be a paid app on some platforms and free on others, just make it a free app for streaming and make the desktop library client a paid program.

Totally agree - the desktop library server is the main thing for me. Start watching a show in the living room, continue watching it on my deck while I smoke a cigar, finish it the next day at lunch.

Although you could also say that the subscription does this - get the sub, and the apps are free everywhere.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

flosofl posted:

Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan of Mailbox, but that was a drat cool feature that I wish Outlook had.

But Outlook does have it - I just used it.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

smr posted:

I can't get over its inability to simply show me a badge that shows how many unread mails I have in my Inbox, like, y'know, every single other mail app in the history of mail apps does.

I like it a lot otherwise, but that really fucks with me.

Ya, really, sure it can count all the messages in you inbox, but it can only show a '1' if you just want to display unread. I am also annoyed.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

xcore posted:

Cheers. I think nPlayer will have AC3 support in their next version which is coming out "soon" but doesn't currently. VLC was my first attempt but no dice. I'll check out the others though, thanks.

Oh, it looks like they have an iPad2 so they might boned anyway. Sadface.

CineXplayer has handled everything I've tossed at it; also Plex, set up a media server and don't live like a savage storing media on the device.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I think I may have found a contender for best weather app: the new Star Wars app

Feels like Endor! :haw:

Hell yes. Thanks.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

slomomofo posted:

Marvin has Dropbox support, and can read most ebook formats.

ed - correction, it only supports DRM-free epub. You can use Calibre to convert to epub, though.
I've been fat dumb and happy with iBooks for ages, but if I can find something that will read my Calibre library and actually maintain synchronicity between my phone and iPad that would be sweet.

I see the same dude that made Marvin also makes 'Gert' - I tried Gert, it only scrolls vertically, and doesn't support landscape orientation. It seems like Marvin is not getting developed anymore from what I've read.

Is there any other reader (not Kindle/BNN/Google) that is recommended. Or am I missing something with Google books? I have my Calibre library on Dropbox right now.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Feenix posted:

I feel like Outlook mail app is getting worse and worse lately. It was great then the badge counts were (and almost alway are, still) wrong. Now I hear email sounds and nothing is on my lock screen and I just have to go into the app to see that something came in.

And the keyboard randomly stops working making my replies insane.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

baram. posted:

use Paper. still has chat integrated too.

What is this Paper?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

oversteer posted:

Any recommendations on document 'scanning' apps that will let me photograph multiple page documents, convert to PDF and upload directly to Dropbox?

I've been using JotNot Pro for ages. Used it to do all the doc's that needed signed for my refi.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Etrips posted:

So what is better than the stock mail app? I have about 4 email accounts that I need to keep tabs on two of them being non-gmail accounts.

I'm a fan of Mailbox; I also use Outlook for my work account which can handle multiple accounts. Anything is better than the default app.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I grabbed Overcast because the whole smart speed has some appeal. I've been using Downcast forever and like it. So I exported and imported the OPML file with no problem. What I'm having a hard time finding is how to get old episodes. For instance, I found out about the "Tobolowsky Files" a couple of months ago, and have managed to listen up to about ep 55, so I want to get the last 15 or eps downloaded. In Downcast, I can do a show old eps, and then edit and select the ones I want to grab. I'm not seeing this in Overcast because I'm dumb or it's not there. I've got about 6 or so podcasts where I'm behind. Is there a way to do this?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

^^^ in your podcast list, you should see an Unplayed/All/Settings tab. Go to "All"

I see that, but I don't want to go thru the 50 episode backlog of Revolutions one at a time. I was looking for an 'edit' select thing. Maybe I'll keep Downcast around for the backlogged stuff, and use Overcast for my up to date podcasts.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

wooger posted:

What is the least bad SSH app for iOS? I'm coming from android, where juiceSSH was great. As I understand it nothing on iOS will have mosh support, which limits how good they can be.

I like vSSH, it has a decent keyboard (hey pipe is right there on top, along with slashes, colons and esc) I have all my shells 'set -o vi' so esc is essential. I also grabbed the Reflection - it looks pretty slick, but I haven't done much with it. (It's free).

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

eightysixed posted:

What's the best alternative for iSSH now? I love iSSH, it's still on my iPad Generation 1 (literally the first iPad), but I've since bought another, newer iPad and was hoping for a recommendation. Googling shows a few popular ones (Prompt, vSSH, and Reflection) just to name a few. But I was curious if anyone has any real hands-on experience/recommendations? :cheers:

I connect to a bunch of AIX boxes and use vSSH. I use Reflection on the desktop, and their iOS app seems decent, but the sweet unix friendly keyboard (pipes) of vSSH is hard to beat. And I always "set -o vi" so a handy esc key is nice.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

rear end Catchcum posted:

Spark is just for iPhone, correct?

As far as I can tell. I like the looks, but I am looking for a unified UI across devices. I am seriously going to miss Mailbox; I have been trying Inbox and it doesn't fit my email style. The Gmail app is ok, but it's not Mailbox.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

baram. posted:

thanks to everyone who recommended spark as a replacement for mailbox. there's a little more to the UI but it does all the same functions.
Ya, I just want 'em to hurry up and do an iPad version. I'm using the old gmail app right now, but it's not the as good. Inbox just frustrated me - I'm sure I do mail wrong.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

What's the best video to animated gif app. I don't mind spending a few bucks on something that's easy to use and full featured.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I like 5Seconds Gif Maker.

Free to try, upgrade to full version is a couple bucks.

Thanks. This is perfect. Instant upgrade.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I miss Qouch. I'm doing the whole dropbox watchfolder thing, which works well enough. Qouch was just prettier.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I have an iCloud Photo Library question. My wife's set up with the 50gb plan, (on her 32gb iPhone) - this morning she found she only had 408mb free on her phone, and 22gb was photos (optimized). If she deletes a photo from the phone it deletes it in the cloud.

Is there a way to limit the number of photo's in the library that get synced to the phone?

Is there a way to clear the photos on the phone, but not remove them from the library?

Is there a better way to manage and backup photos?

I have an iPhone/iPad and the 50gb plan, but don't take near the number of photos.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

This worked for me the one time I tried it. Please, please make sure her photos are both uploaded to the IPL and backed up somewhere else first if you try it. I don't wanna be the guy that lost your wife's photos.

1) On the phone, turn off IPL.
2) When you get the camera roll, etc. back, delete all the photos from the phone
3) Turn IPL back on and wait a bit, and you should just have the "optimized" versions on the phone.
I'll give this a try - she's got the iCloud app on her PC, so the photos are there also, I can duplicate them as a temp backup.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The answer to all this is to not use iCloud Photo Library. I'm not being flippant. It just doesn't work like that. Try google photos. You don't need local copies with that.
Thanks for the info - Looking at Google photos this seems like a great solution - saving full res to the cloud doesn't even dock your Google drive space.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

In practical terms this may be a nitpick, but

from Google: "Most phone cameras are less than 16 megapixels (like iPhone 6 and Samsung Galaxy phones), so most stored photos will essentially look the same if you choose High quality."

Also, since I seem to have a habit of appearing to shill it, a friendly reminder to people that Amazon Prime members get unlimited photo storage space.

That shouldn't be a problem - I should also look at Prime; I have a membership and I always forget about this. (I even use AWS at work).

Anyway, here's the rest of the story. I turned off iCloud Photo Library, booted the phone, and it came back with 6mb free. I looked at storage and it still said IPL was using 22gb of space. Ok, let's reboot again. Nope.

It turns out my wife was shooting a ton of videos the night before, uploading them to youtube and then deleting them. After doing 4 or 5 vids she got a message saying the phone was full, so she deleted all her music - you see where this is leading.

Once I got a hold of her phone and looked I deleted 26 videos using 22gb of space from the deleted items folder in Photos. She now has no apps, no music and 22+ gb of freespace. IPL is back on, and set to optimize, so it's taking very minimal space on the iPhone. And as a bonus I've got google photos linked to her account and backing anything new. I'll hit her laptop and transfer the rest this weekend.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Cromlech posted:

What's the best app to remote into my Windows PC on my LAN to do simple things like turn it off, lock it, etc.?

I've been using Splashtop for ages, but Google has a sweet free app out now.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

dominoeffect posted:

I just picked up splashtop with the 9.7 pro and the only resolution options I have available are 1024x768 or native PC resolution, both of which don't look great on the ipad. Do you know if there is a way to use the full resolution of the ipad with splashtop? I wasn't able to find many others with the same issue.
Not that I know of - I only have 800x600, 1024x768 and native.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I've been using Downcast for years, but since 10.1.1 came out, it seem like it is absolutely killing my battery. It's been listed between 50-53% (in the background) over the last 2-3 days (according to the battery settings thing). I can force quit Downcast, or reboot to 'fix' the issue. (I notice an issue when my phone starts to feel hot and I pull it out of my pocket and I've gone from 90% down 24%.)

I think I'm going to have to either stop using Downcast, or do a restore - neither of which are appealing.

Anyone else having an issue like this?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

BoyBlunder posted:

I have been using this too, and it's awesome. I actually can't believe it's free.

I use it for Gmail and Office 365. Highly recommended.

I was a bit bummed to find out the iOS Gmail & Inbox apps both suck terribly (at least with notifications/badges), so I've been jumping between mail apps for a while and have settled on this one.

I've been using Spark for a while, I like its features, but its a little slow. I'll look at Email.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

tuyop posted:

Yeah, I really like spark. Have you had any weird badge problems, like 2 emails showing 32 new emails for some reason? I have. It's not a huge deal though.

I just wish there was a Mac spark client as well. I can't deal with outlook and I need one with swipe and snooze and stuff.

Yes - or having it badge me with no email. It seems to struggle to mark read email as read.

Does anyone have an appshopper link to the badly named 'Email' app?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Awesome thanks.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I'm coming back after using this app - switched over from Spark on my iPad and am elated. It's faster and cleaner. I suppose it's just a marginal improvement, but in an app I use all the time any improvement is nice.

My only beef is that unlike Spark, I can't sync my settings between devices (unless I can and am stupid).

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Is there anything that can read from a Calibre library? I have my library on dropbox, and can always download from there into iBooks - but it'd be nice if there was a frontend browser to pick and read books.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Zigmidge posted:

Marvin will do that.

Rip stanza

This is perfect. Thanks.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

CaptainCrunch posted:

Sorry if you know this already and it's not what you're looking for but Calibre has a built in server for that. It's under preferences, and once you turn it on you can use safari on your phone/iPad to go to your computer's IP:8096(or whatever port you choose) and calibre serves up a nice (mobile and desktop) interface for surfing your collection. You can click on a book and it'll let you open it in iBooks.

Yes. I have run that before. I guess I should go ahead and set it up again, its been quite a few versions ago since I ran it last. Thanks for the reminder.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I don't like the outlook app

Spark...seems ok

Is airmail worth it before I drop the $5? Why does no one do trials anymore? :( or was that just a jailbreak/cydia thing..

I was a Spark user - and converted to the badly named 'Email - Fast & Secure mail' - it's a pain in the rear end to find in the appstore, it's made by Easilydo Inc.

I felt like Spark was sluggish, I'd get notifications, but message wouldnt' be there. I liked the interface fine. Email is better at all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Been using this a bit now and I quite like it, it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

You're welcome - someone in this thread told me about it, it was a nice fit for me.