Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Diabolik900 posted:

Building on this, since you don't need to remember all your passwords, you can greatly increase your password security by using a unique password for every service. All of my passwords are long, effectively impossible-to-remember strings of letters, numbers, and symbols and I don't need to worry about remembering them.

This is really cool except I fear I'll one day have to recall them somewhere without my phone or Mac and have trouble. But I guess that's not that likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok thanks. So I have regular on Mac and Pro on iPhone. 2 Questions:

1) Can I get them talking together using same "vault"?

2) How do I point the Mac version to Dropbox? (I didn't get the App Store one...) but it hasn't asked yet.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

noirstronaut posted:

multiple pages of unironic podcast app, weather app, and nowpassword manager app discussion

Better than the official thread's "Show me your ugly screen" contest.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I may just be being a big giant dummy but how do I get Tweetbot (4) to show badges or otherwise notify me when someone replies to me or whatever. Zero entry in Settings> Notifivations and nothing in the app's settings??

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah gently caress a sound. I just want to see little red badges or banners. What the poo poo.
So weird.

[Ed]

Smets posted:

If I understand the question correctly, it's under Settings > Account Settings (click on your account name) > Notifications. You can set notifications separately for mentions, direct messages, retweets, etc.

Oh. Yeah. There it is! :)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 21, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I like presentation in a weather app. (U.I. Layout, etc) but my main desire for wunderground is the neighborhood stations. I don't give a gently caress what the weather is like "in Seattle"
(Whatever that means) when I live like 7 miles away due north on the outskirts of Seattle.

I used Dark Sky back when it first came out. Just redownloaded. It claims tone "hyper local". Ok we'll give that a shot.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 29, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EC posted:

I live in the boonies and drive around a lot, and I've been impressed with Dark Sky's ability to push "it goan rain" to me and actually be accurate about it.

Yeah I'm digging this so far. So much more than it used to be.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone got any thoughts about why my wife can't download Dark Sky without paying for it? I have it and paid for and we have homesharing or whatever. She can see all the other apps I downloaded but Dark Sky is not in the list. She has to see it in the normal App Store app and it says 3.99

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Weirdness. I just updated ProCam 3 to some incremental update regarding long shutter exposures and now in the last hour it has Notified me to "Open" it and when i do it's either doing nothing or had an ad for something else in the app store.

How rude.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Need a bit of advice.

Thinking I was clever (I'm usually not) I managed to buy a digital gift card in NZ denomination (but I am from the USA.)

It sort of appears that it's not for the App Store though... Just Apple and I guess retail online store. (I honestly got thrown by the small print saying something about use it in store or "online"...

Anyway, whatever my own dumb assumption. Is there any way at all to convert this to NZ App Store credit? Or am I holding something useless to me?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah even just looking at American Apple the only way to digitally buy an ITunes card is to have it snail-mailed to someone.

So even if I COULD buy a gift card for iTunes with it I'd have to have it shipped to America (if they even would which I doubt.)

Bummer. Wonder if I can get a refund on my purchase.

Edit: yeah I'm think I'm boned. Anyone in NZ want an Apple Store gift card for a slight discount?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 12, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Shaocaholica posted:

Haha. I'm totally into the home automation thing but not having a hard switch is a deal breaker for me. That fact that these app only things exist is stupid. When I get up in the middle of the night to go piss I don't want to remember where my phone is and if its charged or not so I can avoid pissing all over the floor.

There are millennials and then there are millennials

Number one reason I want a Hue Tap.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

flosofl posted:

The Harmony Hub is awesome. Especially since it does both IR and BT. I ended up getting two, one for my main room and one for the setup in my home office.

That was one of the Christmas presents I bought everyone this year. Well, not everyone, but family.

Harmony Hub is extra awesome when you are putting your toddler to bed and deaf-rear end in laws have the movie downstairs too loud. Load up the iPhone app, volume down a few ticks. Usually no one is the wiser.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
A while back we talked about Tv show tracker apps. I got the recommended one, the app icon is just called "Shows". Not sure if that is the full name or just an icon abbreviation.
Anyhow, I like it, but it keeps getting poo poo wrong. Anyone know why? Last night it takes of me Limitless was on but it is not until next week. Tonight it told me Arrow is on but it took a one month (or whatever) break.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey all... I really want to give Home in ios10 a fair shake. Learning it now. My only issue so far is my office has 2 lights in it but is named DefaultRoom. I can't delete the room, I can't change its name, etc.

Anyone know how I can get those lights moved to a new room named Office?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EC posted:

Is this the thread to talk HomeKit stuff?

I've got a Hue bridge and a handful of lights. I've setup the room/light names in the Hue app, but the room names don't seem to be pulling into the Home app. This makes the light icons in the control center say [Default Room] instead of the actual room names. I get an error when trying to rename the default room in the Home app, and googling for the error message ("could not edit whatever") didn't turn up anything.

I'm also curious if anyone has experience with the Hue light strips. I want to install them on top of a couple of bookshelves, but Amazon reviews seem pretty uneven.

I had the same Default Room issue as you.

Go to Rooms tab. Default Room in this case. Long press/hard touch a light, press "details" assign it to a new room.

Bing bang boom.

I have gen1 Hue strips. They are great. I mounted one under my cabinets in the kitchen for a counter light. Got it on a set time (dinner) and also Alexa is nearby for an impromptu command or Hey Siri.

I imagine the Gen2 are even better.

My issue with Home(kit) App is I got my ATV4 all linked in as the automation hub but even though I schedule lights at certain times, they don't come on. Reading a lot of that on the internet. Thinking it's maybe a bug. Maybe a 10.1 beta known issue. Who loving knows...

That's the last puzzle piece for me.

Thinking of getting more home automation stuff now.
I have nest cams, protects, a nest thermostat and about 20 varying Hue bulbs.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I guess since Apple Watch can just pass through iPhone notifications I'm going about this in a way I don't need to.
Let's try it simpler.

Any free or very inexpensive apps that will send me score updates for the Seahawks? I don't need it to be some ultra sports app that does a ton of poo poo. I just want Seahawks game score notifications as close to realtime as is reasonable to expect.

Thank you.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Get the ESPN app, set the Seahawks as your favorite team, and disable notifications for everything else.

Thanks. Do I need to login for this? Also in the alerts section of settings everything is off, but I don't see which would correspond to getting score updates for my favorited team...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have 1Password and I paid for the mac app too. Am I doing something wrong should I be able to like have my logins and passwords that I keep on my mac vault available to me on iPhone /safari iOS?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Quick someone ask me what the best weather app is?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pissflaps posted:

Which is the best weather app?

Partly Sunny

Partly Sunny - Weather Forecasts by Joseph Hribar
https://appsto.re/us/ths1bb.i

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pissflaps posted:

What makes a better weather app than Dark Sky, Carrot Weather or Dashlane?

I don't know. It uses Dark Sy's hyperlocal, and puts a lot of info with less swiping. I like the design more. It's probably not better, just "another". :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there an app (or native way in IOS or OSX) for me to take still iphone pics and just have kind of a time lapse looping animated gif thing?

Every app I try is free but you can't do poo poo without paying before I can even tell how well it will work, etc...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Hello Spaceman posted:

Hyperlapse?

I mean it spits out a video but does everything what you described.

Unless I’m missing something, that won’t work. The pictures are already taken and in my photo album.

Thanks, though...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Battery Chattery chat: I can type but not actually send/enter the text. Charging room.

[Ed] nm have to pick a name.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey guys and gals. I have used Microsoft Outlook for 2 personal email accounts on my iPhone. All good.
My work just entered the 21st century and now I have an Outlook account at work. I have successfully linked up my work to my phone outlook, but if there is a way, I'd like to have like, my 2 personal email accounts be visible in my inbox, and then just be able to press the work account inbox when I need to look over there. Is this possible?
It'd be possible if I had one personal account because then I wouldn't go to "all inboxes", I'd just reside in the specific one, but since I have 2 personal accounts... yeah.

Any way in settings somewhere to isolate?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EL BROMANCE posted:

At worst you could just install the Outlook app and separate it out from the regular mail app.

I’m already using outlook. I don’t use the mail app. Unless you meant the reverse and install the mail app for my work mail. Which, is a possibility, if I can’t do what I need to all in Outlook.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any good free or cheap apps where I can use my finger to “paint” some blur? I got a stellar portrait photo of my wife and son but there’s one spot of “not-blurred” background I’d love to fix.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Legs Benedict posted:

Annotable’s free version does this IIRC.

Thanks but not that I can see . :/ unless I’m (quite possibly) just dumb. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man I really want to play with the new Djay stuff but I own no local music and Djay won’t play Apple Music stuff. What an absolute shame.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone know what I need to do after a power outage where the Home app (the Apple Homekit app) says "not responding" for every single Hue light? The Hue App still works, but all my schedulings and whatnot are on the Home app. Other things (like Wemo plugs) in my Home app are functioning and not set to "No Response"

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Endless Mike posted:

Last time this happened, I rebooted my HomePod and everything was back to wroking, so reboot whatever is your Homekit thing?

I rebooted the ATV. But that didn't take. Not sure if related directly or just kicked it in it's pants, but there was an update on Hue app today for the Hub and after it updated, everything is responding again. Thanks!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not really sure if this is an iOS apps relevant question but it’s the closest I could think of. Ever since iOS 13 when I tell Siri to create a reminder she puts it in not my reminders list but my dinners for the week list. I’ve been having to go in and manually move it by changing list. Early on I thought this was a beta issue but it has persisted and I’m wondering if I am missing some default list setting somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Violator posted:

There is the default list option in iOS settings app and then click Reminders.

Thanks Friend! I did not know that!