Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sponsorblock for skipping commercials on YouTube within Safari.

HyperWeb provides all sorts of benefits, including CamelCamelCamel + TrustReviews on Amazon, as well as prioritizing specific search result pages, and adblocking.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm surprised it took Twitter this long to completely sunset third party app APIs - they probably hate that a huge subset of their users never sees sponsored or promoted tweets. It feels like most websites want a stranglehold on their "experience", which means they want to force users to download their app and not be able to bypass ads.

If Reddit ever sunsets their third party app API, I'd be devastated.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

illcendiary posted:

Looking at Apple’s support page about it, it seems like the data is coming from NOAA, so should be good. Alas it dropped the ball today

https://www.forecastadvisor.com/

Dark Sky's prediction model isn't even that good compared to most others. The Weather Channel and Weather Underground are most accurate in my area (Michigan).

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Parcel is pretty good. Nice widget support.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

What subscription apps do you use?

I'm using Drafts Pro ($19.99/year, amazing general purpose text editing, processing, scripting), no ads for Overcast ($9.99/year, using it for badly recorded podcasts), and trying out TickTick ($2.99/month, persistent reminders that I can't ignore, multi-platform).

Overcast

Ivory

Parcel

Halide (may cancel)

Pestle, but I paid for the lifetime license recently (such a great recipe app)

Infuse (better video/audio playback with plex libraries)

Apollo, but I bought a lifetime license during one of his annual charity drives

I have access to lots of apps that went monthly but I managed to locked in a permanent upgrade - SwiftScan, PDF Expert, as well as betas that have free IAPs like DayOne.

I don’t mind paying for a “pricy” lifetime license ($20-$40) if I support an app developer’s overall vision.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 9, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is 1Blocker that much better than Adguard Pro? I bought an Adguard Pro lifetime license a long time ago and never looked into other adblock extensions.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I actually just checked and I was grandfathered into Overcast Premium as well - Gruber was covering the development of the app and I remember downloading it within the first couple weeks of it being released, back in July 2014. It's been on my home screen ever since, and I've appreciated the continued development and additions like homescreen widgets.

I should probably throw him $10 for all the development over the years.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

Is this better than Paprika? I have a subscription to it but it hardly gets updated and the UI is pretty clunky.

I haven't used Paprika in ages, but for me, yes. Pestle can...

- Import website recipes from Safari from the share sheet
- Import recipes using OCR from your camera, pdf, image, etc.
- Add RSS website feeds so you can easily view and add new recipes to your recipe book without looking at ads
- Smart folders that lets you easily create smart filters with specific requirements ("I want a cocktail that has XX ingredient")
- Shared family recipe book with other iOS users
- Shared ingredients list that integrates with a shared reminders list (grocery shopping list with partner)
- Shared meal prep calendar that integrates with a shared calendar (grocery calendar with partner)
- Quick about updating the app to include things like dynamic island, lock screen/home screen widgets, etc

I've been meticulously adding all my cocktails, cookbooks, and website recipes to it - I can't tell you how many times I've lost an old recipe because it was taken down. It also seems like most recipe websites are horrible in general due to SEO optimization.

There's a pretty affordable free/monthly period without committing to the lifetime license. You can even import recipes that are in the Paprika recipe format.

Pestle

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 9, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

People love it around here when I poo poo on Spotify and praise Apple Music.

Spotify connect is pretty good. It offers true handoff and better multi device control, which airplay2 can’t do.

Everywhere else, I think Apple Music provides a lot of benefits. Spotify seems to care less and less about music nowadays, and more about Podcasts/Audiobooks/Social stuff. Spotify has been teasing lossless for 2+ years now with no release in sight, and it will be a paid/premium option. Meanwhile, Apple Music has free Dolby Atmos spatial mastered albums in lossless, which sound amazing on my Sonos Atmos sound system.

Another great thing about Apple Music is that the music catalog is bigger. There are tons of live DJ sets and mixes that include tracklistings, like SoundCloud. For me, a streaming service’s catalog size and its sound quality is the most important thing, and Apple Music’s catalog is bigger, and has higher quality lossless and Atmos files.

Another great thing about Apple Music is it supports shortcuts and automations, so I can trigger specific playlists to my hue lights using Siri, among other things. Spotify could implement this feature if they wanted to, but they’re too focused on being the next tiktok or whatever.

Spotify has been downright horrible at adopting iOS APIs, mostly because they’re suing Apple. Their Apple Watch downloads took years to come out, and it’s not very good. For years, Spotify has refused to update their app to include airplay2 support for those who want it with homepod minis or sonos speakers that support it.

For us, AppleOne Family pricing with Music, TV, Arcade, and iCloud was comparable to what we were already paying for Spotify + iCloud storage.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 23, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

101 posted:

Apple Music needs native Last.fm support for me. I have a scrobbler on my Mac, but I have to use Marvis on my phone, which doesn't have CarPlay support.

Eavescrobb can do background scrobbling for you

MusicHarbor is another great resource for tracking new releases, especially if you have a huge library.

Edit: Soor works too.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Alternatively, just leave the poo poo in google photos as is and treat it like another backup. You never know if/when apple photos is gonna gently caress something up.

This is fine, but the copy on Google Photos is going to be compressed unless you pay for storage. I just realized I get 1TB of Adobe Lightroom storage, so I've been backing up my library there recently.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 23, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why is there a standalone app just for classical music?

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/03/27/why-apple-music-classical-launched/

Classical music often involves multiple musicians recording works that have been recorded many times before and are referred to by different names. For example, from the formal Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 14 to the popular byname of Moonlight Sonata, or in multiple languages, such as Mondschein Sonata in German. Such complexities mean that classical music fans have been ill-served by streaming platforms. Until now. A distinct app, included with an Apple Music subscription, gives these classical music lovers the editorial and catalog content they've been missing.

Only a brand-new app — with specialized features and a beautiful interface designed for the genre — could remove the complexity and make classical music easily searchable, browsable, and accessible for beginners and experts alike.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Looks like Safari 16.4 added some highly demanded features, including the ability for a web app to display badges. As somebody who self hosts a lot services, this will be great if/when webapps roll out support.

A service like Alerty has already rolled out support for it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

Has anyone else’s Vinegar stopping blocking YouTube ads lately? Still get the Picture in Picture but now I’m seeing ads. It is enabled in Safari.

I have lots of success with Sponsorblock

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Are there any apps out there that will scan your contacts and automatically add a profile picture to business contacts? Seeing a business's icon for message notifications is really nice, and I don't want to spend the time manually adding icons myself.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

App Clips are perfect for something like parking apps - I don't know how many parking apps I've had to download for every random Detroit metro suburb just so I can park on the street.

Unfortunately, all of those cities funding for a parking app is probably dried up by now, so there's no way they could possibly update their apps to support app clips, apple pay, or sign in with apple (I thought this was mandated?).

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It’s kinda baffling that the stock calendars app doesn’t have a templates functionality.

It’s one of my favorite aspects of Fantastical, and you can even add scheduled tasks/reminders from it easily:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

withak posted:

Please don’t freeze your coffee beans.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5uT5_IWWb00

https://manchestercoffeearchive.com/freezing-coffee/

The more you know.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Fantastical’s basic functionality is good enough most of the time, and solves a lot of UX issues that bother me with the default calendars. I ended up splitting a premium family membership with some other nerds on the internet and it ends up being $18 a year.

I really like Fantastical because it….

• Let’s me enter events using natural text input
• Shows colored dots for specific calendars
• Has a scrolling list view with monthly view at the top
• Integrates with scheduled reminders
• Shows upcoming daily weather
• Different calendar set views (me + shared partners, personal, work, etc)
• Allows me to display specific calendars based on a schedule (only show work calendar on weekdays from 8 to 5)
• Diverse collection of widget views
• Templates

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

101 posted:

If anyone remembers the ToDo app Clear from probably about a decade ago, they just opened their TestFlight for version 2

https://testflight.apple.com/join/rjDFgcOP

I've been using the beta for almost a year (randomly came across a Testflight link on Twitter) and am happy to see that they're finally releasing it. The first version of the app is one of the few apps that has always been on the first page of my iPhone for 10+ years now.

Reeder, Fantastical, and Instagram might be the only other third party apps that haven't moved from my home screen over all these years.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Montalvo posted:

What’s a good habit tracking/building app these days? I just want something that will let me specify things I want to daily and tick them off, maybe offer a week or month view.

I just downloaded Habit Tracker recently, and it satisfied my needs - decent widgets support, stats, recurring habits customization, and a cheap one-time premium license ($6).

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I deleted Google Photos and Amazon Photos off my phone and I can’t believe how much faster and snappier iOS and spotlight search is. I’m not sure what kind of indexing is going on in the background that bogs it down so much, I have about 7,000 photos backed up across the different platforms, but it’s pretty redundant and unnecessary for me to even use them.

Hopefully they optimize whatever issues that are causing it in iOS 17.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Any suggestions on an alternate news aggregator? The News app is just so clogged with news+ suggestions that it’s gotten pretty annoying.

There are tons of individual apps for different outlets, looking for one that pulls those together.

Google News + Bypass Paywall Shortcut

or self hosted RSS + Postlight Parser for full text articles.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

crestfallen posted:

I know this question has been asked a whole lot. BUT: what do we like for email apps? I have a gmail account.

Free is cool, modest 1 time payment is cool, low-cost sub is cool.

This is a tough question to answer - Gmail has it's own push protocol, so the Gmail app is always going to send notifications to you faster than other mail apps. I like Spark on iOS, but I have a 5 or 6 different e-mails across other non-Gmail domains that I like being unified in one inbox. Over time, I've tried to move away from primarily using Gmail, just because I don't want to rely on Google if my account was ever locked or deleted - I'd much rather deal with my domain registrar.

Spark's gestures are nice and the app feels more like a native iOS app and not just website wrapper. Spark has a premium tier, but the free tier isn't too limiting.

I also tend to just add all my e-mail accounts to the default Mail app within iOS, turn notifications off, so my emails are offline and not dependent on being connected to Gmail's servers. I've also ran into instances where Mail downloaded an e-mail that I accidentally deleted within Gmail, so that's always been a decent backup for my use-case. This also allows iOS to index and make your e-mails searchable throughout iOS, including giving you calendar suggestions when it notices an e-mail with an upcoming appointment, for example.

If you go with the just using the default Gmail app, you may lose out on the app integrating into all of iOS's ecosystem and APIs as a whole. If you go with just Mail, you lose out on Gmail's faster push protocol. It's really dependent on you whether or not you care enough to use one or the other, or both - it often feels like so many apps are just glorified browser wrappers nowadays.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 2, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

priznat posted:

Yeah playlists are such a loving mess in apple music it’s really annoying. Can’t even separate them between your own created playlists and ones you have found on the app! Ugh.

iOS 17 lets you sort playlists by playlist type. I usually just have mine sorted by Recently Played. It would be nice if you could pin a playlist.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Skeezy posted:

Would be nice if Apple did more changes to Music in iOS 17. But at least we have Crossfade now (something the AM Android app has had for quite some time now)

The SharePlay stuff for creating a shared playlist in the car with your friends, even when they aren't subscribed to Apple Music, is pretty cool. The other thing they're slowly rolling out are collaborative playlists, which are coming sometime later this year.

Spotify still has some benefits (social, playlist generation), but crossfade and collaborative playlists were two of the bigger features that were missing from Apple Music that I missed from Spotify, so I can't complain. It would be nice to see Apple improve AirPlay to have better handoff like Chromecast/Spotify Connect.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

1Password question.

What’s the difference between clicking on the 1P icon that’s inserted inside the text field and selecting the proper login, vs. tapping on the “password” bar right above the keyboard? Which is the preferred way to use 1Password? Why are there 2 ways to insert passwords from my password manager?

Because the 1P icon that is inserted is using their Safari extension, and the built-in keyboard version is using iOS's setting where you can designate a password manager other than Keychain.

There's no wrong way to use it, I've definitely come across logins that wouldn't bring up the keyboard password manager or display 1P's icon, so I'm guessing they're just covering their bases. I know Apple's built-in keychain password manager likes to hijack the keyboard when you try and enter a new password, even if you select 1Password as your primary password manager.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

This meme really speaks to me. Only thing it's really missing is true Markdown support + Exporting, which can be solved with ProNotes and Exporter for macOS.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 17, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm 100% on the left side and my wife is 100% on the right side. After like a loving decade of marriage we started a couple joint notes for random poo poo like monthly discretionary spending and poo poo we need to buy at the store. I made the first drafts and it was like:

* bread
* diet coke
* those crackers you like
* soup

and then she got her hands on it and all of a sudden it had like formatting and a no bullshit table and poo poo.

You should set her loose in shared reminders with smart tags - iOS 17 even lets you automatically sort a grocery list items by grocery section.

Queer Grenadier posted:

Biggest draw for Obsidian is the Markdown format and it is just text files on my local drives. Apple Notes is not and I’d be reliant upon Apple hardware. I don’t believe Apple Notes can be exported and future proofed the same way.

There’s no getting around being reliant on Apple hardware - thankfully us MacBook users just use something free like Exporter if they want to export them to Markdown. Apple should definitely add something natively, though.

I like Obsidian and spent a few weeks organizing a bunch of notes, but found myself messing with formatting and extensions way too much, went back to Notes for work-related note-taking and never looked back - simply tagging and creating smart folders for my notes was much faster and organized without monkeying around too much with things.

Now that I’ve got a system figured out with smart tags and smart folders in both Reminders and Notes, it’s hard to put forth any more effort than just assigning a few simple tags and leaving it at that. Some people have some really slick Obsidian setups, though.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 18, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

priznat posted:

What’s the catch with Obsidian, no IAP, free..

Cloud syncing your library was a bit finicky for me over iCloud, they offer their own paid syncing service. There are ways to sync with other cloud services though.

Technically Obsidian didn’t offer a convenient way to natively export your documents. I’m not sure if that’s changed but it was the case last year when I used it - yes, they’re text files, but you lose the back linking and other metadata associated with your obsidian files.

To get the full usage of Obsidian, it takes a little more work to learn how to do back links and such. If you're familiar with HTML and Markdown, you'll feel right at home in Obsidian making Table of Contents and linking to other documents, if that's something you're looking to do.

For me, I just think Notes is a little easier to pick up and feel like a “power user” - tags + smart folders are simple but powerful. Totally understand many users need to be able to access their notes from non-Apple devices, though - is iCloud.com that bad?

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 18, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Oddly enough, I find myself liking Spark on iOS and Apple Mail on macOS currently. It's a real bummer the iOS version of Mail doesn't have Smart Mailboxes.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Warbird posted:

I like the idea of safari’s reader mode feature but don’t particularly care for using safari for reasons unknown. Is there an app that has similar functionality that’s decent? Is that just instapaper? Doesn’t have to be a “read it later” type thing or a service, just opening the URL and showing the page is plenty.

What mobile browser are you using? I've tried them all, and find Safari the most user friendly, even though I don't prefer Safari on desktop.

Maybe one day Google will update their ~design language~ to make apps like Chrome and Maps more user friendly on mobile devices and put the address/search bar near the bottom of the app.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

Actually, I'd like to correct you on this point - the address/search bar near the top of the app is more user friendly, which is why Safari had it there until recently.

With mobile devices, apps should be designed with the most used UI elements within the confines of a user's thumb - users shouldn't have to reach for such an essential user flow like searching within an app. This is especially important as mobile device screens get bigger and bigger. Apple was correct in moving the search to the bottom of the screen, but at least they placated older users who hate change by allowing them to change it back within the Settings.

Google's material design guidelines are horrible at not taking a user's thumb into consideration and it really shows when an app is designed for Android and ported over to iOS so users have a "universal experience" (See: iOS's bottom navbar vs Material's hamburger menu).

Can you guess which OS's design guidelines heavily encourage placing the most important element's within a user's thumb zone? iOS's :cool:

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 27, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Love Parcel. Nice widget. Amazon integration. Just wish it would archive delivered packages.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

FCKGW posted:

There’s a view option to only show active packages

Apparently I was using an older TestFlight version that doesn’t have that. Whoops.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

101 posted:

How much of a discount would you be expecting on $5/yr for bringing your own key?

If you get value out of it, then the devs time and effort is worth rewarding.

Parcel has to deal with multiple third party's APIs (Amazon, FedEx, USPS, UPS) changing on a whim, so that alone makes it well worth the annual subscription, but the fact that he adopts new iOS APIs and features quickly.

I'm shocked more people don't just use Apple's weather app, but I know it's source isn't always the most reliable - Forecast Advisor says The Weather Channel is the most reliable in my area, which Apple Weather uses on the backend.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apple One because AM is better than Spotify
Parcel for Package Tracking
Overcast for Podcasts
Infuse for better Plex playback
Ivory for Mastodon but might cancel
Carrot because my partner refuses to switch to stock weather

Sometimes I’ll sub to Mixel for cocktail recipes. I really don’t mind throwing an app that regularly gets updated or adds features $10 a year.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 19, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

What app will let me pick tv shows I watch and then give me a custom calendar I can subscribe to to see airtimes?

Trakt has some great widgets.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

TV Club is one, I kinda faded out from using these things these days (I used the pogdesign.co.uk/cat for about a decade) and just track everything with Plex.

I run PlexTraktSync and it keeps all my Plex watch history linked up with Trakt and their upcoming schedule stuff.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

iPad homekit as a hub was sunsetted a few iOS updates ago. You need a HomePod or AppleTV to act as a hub across different HomeKit devices. I have my Aqara window sensors turn off my Ecobee thermostat in the Summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

There’s also a SponsorBlock Safari extension, but you have to watch videos in Safari instead of YouTube’s app.

kri kri posted:

VPN to sign up for YouTube premium. I think I pay about $4 a month for YT family.

So I tried this with a few different VPNs/Countries/Credit Cards and Google always blocked me during the transaction process. I think it’s because I’m trying to do it with my US Google account or something?

I’ve heard of people doing this over the last year and would love to get it working on my existing YouTube TV family account for me and my friends but it hasn’t worked every time I’ve tried it.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 5, 2023