Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm pretty sure knowing that I'm not paying a random amount of money for a subscription alarm clock will do wonders for my sleep.

Is there any way to get the built-in Bedtime alarm clock to use a glaring klaxon alarm instead of soft tinkly good-vibes poo poo? The damned thing doesn't wake me up half the half the time if I fall asleep with my phone in another room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It isn't hard to think of plenty of cases where frequency of use wouldn't correlate with how badly you want or need updates and background refreshes.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

If you're already good(ish) at budgeting your money, Mint is fine.

However, if you really need help developing a budget and limiting your spending, YNAB is a great program and system.

A fairly expensive subscription model aimed at people who don’t know how the gently caress to manage ongoing expenses is a kind of evil genius :laugh:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I guess it isn't that horrible in the grand scheme of things, but when I'm looking into an app and on the fence about it, a recurring charge for perpetuity makes me nope the gently caress out of there real quick.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Google Keep supports shared lists. The android app is markedly better than the iOS app because you can see each other typing and have an edit war in real time :kimchi:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

coolusername posted:

Anyone got recommendations for good offline rhythm games?

There's an iOS thread in the Games forum. I think people in the roguelikes thread like Crypt of the Necrodancer a lot. :shrug:

withak posted:

Probably looking for single-player tho.

You mean there's a multiplayer version???

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Great, thank you.

Also I'm assuming there's no way do things like remove app icon titles, change icon size, etc. without jailbreaking? I like to keep the look pretty minimal.

Nope. The home screen won't let you customize much visually but it works fine.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

There's still no way to get twitter links to open in a third-party app instead of the official client if you have it installed, right?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

priznat posted:

Anyone know if there are any apps that allow you to mass delete safari bookmarks on iOS? For some reason I have hundreds of “No title” folders on mine, probably some cloud link service thing that was broken and I didn’t notice filling up my bookmarks with this crap.

Anyway swiping on each of them to delete is a huge pain in the rear end. Any options would be appreciated.

Doesn’t look like the Shortcuts app can help in this case unfortunately..

If you have a mac delete them in OS X safari, or set up bookmark syncing in iColud windows and get the chrome extension* then delete them in chrome

*this may be what gave you hundreds of dupes, if my experience is any indication. Hasn't happened lately, though

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:cheers:

iOS is like 90% of the way to being a real computer and then it faceplants catastrophically when you have a select-multi problem

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol at the buffer overflow on a variable that could cost you money

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You'll be shocked at how much time you get back if you use the silence-trimming feature for a few weeks

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

What if I want to swear but don't want to fill my contacts list with garbage entries?

I just cuss prolifically enough that it stopped trying to correct me after a week or two :shrug:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Had a quick question which I can't seem to find an answer to on google.

I have a LOT of ebooks, and I have an ipad mini. I'd like to copy them all over to the mini, but I'm not seeing a "books" option in itunes. I tried copying some over via the files section and hoping the kindle app would index em, but no luck on that.

Is there a way to get the ipad to let me access my own files, or at least a way to dump the books on there via itunes and use another app? It's got 128gb but if you can't add files to it, it seems kinda dumb.

The best way I've found to add your own books to the native Books app is to add them to it on a mac and have them icloud sync over to the ipad. :rolleyes: If I open documents from the filesystem (icloud or smb) on the ipad they don't seem to stick around in the app's library

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

bleh, looks like all the poo poo I already paid for still works, and the ridiculous subscription fee doesn't add anything I really care about, though if they're making things like "custom event colors" and "time zones" premium features its days are probably numbered

e: if you add an event there's a color button that nags you for money :jerkbag:

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 29, 2020

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Is there another app where you type/dictate the details of a new calendar event into a single field and it reliably parses out the name, time, date, etc? That's my favorite fantastical feature

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Thanks for all the recommendations. I’m trying out Calendar 366 (hopefully it will still work okay in non leap years)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The gmaps icon is dumb but at least I'll never open apple maps by accident now

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It would be cool if Apple banned A/B testing fuckery from the app store

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Minimoog and Kaossilator synthesizer apps are currently free in celebration of the global pandemic :toot:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I bought Better Blocker a while back (on the advice of this thread iirc) and it seems to work okay

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, I'd be pissed if I had bought the android app. I hope apple doesn't simplify away the radar maps because that was the only reason I paid for a weather app instead of using the stock one

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lmao dark sky announced its corporate acquisition in-app on my iPad like it was a loving tornado warning :rolleyes:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

What is everyone who switched from Fantastical using now?

I’ve been back and forth with their support since the big update (they usually take at least two weeks to respond each time) but there are always bugs and I’m getting pretty sick of it all.

I bought Calendar 366 and it does everything I need, with the minor annoyance that the event dictation/natural language parsing gets hung up on AM vs PM and I have to correct it manually for afternoon events before saving

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

One more vote for paprika. On a related note, what's a good reader for pdf/epub documents that will let me copy/paste out of it without appending quotation marks and an attribution like the apple books app does? :argh:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

ArcaneMan posted:

Is there an app where I can take a picture of a receipt or bill and it saves a pdf and does text recognition and perhaps saves metadata like bill totals, date, etc.?

I like Readdle Scanner Pro for scanning documents. The OCR is good but the app isn't smart enough to automagically do anything useful with dates and dollar amounts

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there an app that works well with transferring pdf/cbr files to the ipad from windows? I've tried several apps, and they seem to transfer data to the specific app's "documents and data" but when I go to load up that program, the program, doesn't matter what, never seems to "see" the data properly, and there's no file manager I can find that actually views the filesystem so I can move/copy them out of whereever the gently caress they went to, so instead I have to delete the whole app in order to clear out that used storage space.

I don't understand why something so basic is so difficult to figure out :sludgepal:

you can mount an SMB share in the Files app and copy your documents over that way, then open them with the app of your choice

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I have a feeling that the extensions targeting particular large, monetized websites like youtube and twitter aren’t going to have a very long life in the app store. Apple killed off all the alternative youtube video player apps a few years back

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

google maps was the app that made me go HOLY poo poo WOW on the first iphone and all these years later it is less usable and not a bit faster on vastly more powerful hardware

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Neurophonic posted:

NextDNS + extra blocklists. The free tier is plenty for phone browsing.

This is working well for me so far, except that the “GoodbyeAds” list (and maybe others?) blocks metrics.icloud.com which appears to break the App Store on an iOS device.

At least I think it’s that domain. Whitelisting it appears to have fixed the problem

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I’ve found that looking at the radar is the only real way to determine whether a slight chance of rain is actually a guaranteed downpour and the radar map in the new weather app fails to load for me about nine times out of ten and is extremely low resolution and blotchy when it does :emo:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I love fastmail, though as far as I can tell it doesn't have a feature to automatically sort emails into promotions/social/updates buckets, which I miss, though I completely understand why a privacy-focused provider wouldn't offer that

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I like the address bar at the bottom in safari and I'm glad apple shamelessly stole it from windows 8/metro internet explorer after its corpse had been cold for a few years

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Thoom posted:

"pay $7.49/month for Alarmy"

I am going to choose to believe that this is a joke about how loving dismal the app store is today because it is absolutely perfect

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Import all the recipes you like into Paprika?

(This has the huge caveat that Paprika's recipe parser is way better at getting recipes out of webpages than at translating PDF-formatted ingredient lists into something comprehensible)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is Paprika the go-to app for recipe organization? It's 5 bucks but if it's good and doesn't have a subscription i'm happy to pay it.

Here's a dumb question - these days I'm getting most of my recipes from Instagram reels because I'm a basic bitch. Is there any app or shortcut that will: 1) Save the video to either an app like Paprika or to a note in the notes app AND 2) save the caption from the video along with the video?

I found this site https://instavideosave.net that will let me save the videos, but it doesn't have the caption which doesn't help me.

Paprika is awesome, the only new feature I truly need is a way to completely disable the in-app browser, which is only good if you want to know what a mommyblogger recipe site looks like in tyool 2024 without an ad blocker, because you're trying to kill an epileptic person or something

I have no idea about parsing out instagram recipes. I suppose that is the brave new frontier of content scraping, which I think instagram itself will fight tooth and nail if they catch anybody doing it. Youtube people usually at least have the decency to put the damned recipe in the notes

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Does this mean we might get addons with firefox and chrome now?

I sure hope so, though apple may not want to allow users to run arbitrary code from the internet inside the app designed to run arbitrary code from the internet :jerkbag:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Is there something on the Apple TV that works for this problem?

nope, having to use the youtube app is the worst part of the apple tv platform, imo. your best bet is to airplay from a device with a full-featured browser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

kri kri posted:

I was being sarcastic

Also, why does Apple News show a headline for blocked news sources? I might have to stop using it again.

Apple News is only really good for seeing what The Discourse™ in mainstream media is for today and if the discourse includes topics or outlets you don't want to see then you're hosed. You cannot opt out.

Also I can't believe they turn on news notifications by default because there is no way that does anything for anybody except make their day worse. Beep beep, a bunch of loving people just died horribly!