Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

At the moment, probably the most aesthetically pleasing NC widgets for weather apps are as follows: Forecast+, which I've heard frequently gets current weather conditions incorrect and only exists as a widget (the app part just contains settings for the widget, no actual data), and Yahoo Weather, which has a nice simple graphical overview of the current conditions/today's conditions but displayed over local images pulled from Flickr, which are too big and usually look obtrusive in NC but still better than the majority of other weather widgets out so far.

Hopefully this changes soon and a weather app drops that has an awesome widget, but iOS 8 just came out recently so we may have to wait for a really great one to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

silly posted:

Looks super nice on the 6
Oh man, I just updated and it really does. I'm so glad they finally updated it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kitten smoothie posted:

So it said something about share sheet support in the App Store info.

Is that supposed to mean you can share out of Safari (or whatever other app) straight into Tweetbot? If so I'm not finding it, as it doesn't show up in the list of share extensions I could enable.

If not, what does it mean?
Tap on a tweet and hit the Share button. You know how it used to say stuff like Copy Tweet and Email Tweet? Now you can message it, mail it, share it to Facebook, add it to your reading list, open it in Safari, etc.

The entire menu was changed to look like/behave in line with the iOS style.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 1, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kitten smoothie posted:

Aww. I thought it was the other way around, so I could share links into Tweetbot rather than using iOS' native Twitter support :(
I just went into Safari and opened a page up and tried to see if you could do that, but nope, no dice :( Even in the "More" section, Tweetbot's not listed as one of the actions you can take.

But you can copy a link from the share sheet in Safari and then open up Tweetbot and paste it into a tweet. I know that's not as intuitive, but it does work.

noirstronaut posted:

Why is the text so closely together in Tweetbot? It looks like a solid body of text.
....doesn't look like that at all to me :confused:

Maybe try changing your Text Size in the Display Settings for the app and see if that changes anything.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Still don't see myMail on the App List. They are the best and most responsive team making a mail App as far as I am concerned. Today they optimized for iOS8 and also added Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync Support, for those who care about that.
I set up myMail for my mom on her 4S recently and she loves it. She's still stuck on the same POP3 email address that she's had for like the past 15 years and refuses to get a different (IMAP) email address because she feels like nobody will know how to contact her :rolleyes: But when I set up her POP email account in Mail.app, it was downloading like 1,000 messages to her phone and there's no "Select All" button in Mail.app that she could use to delete all of those at once since she had already read them on her computer. Tried to find her a free mail app she could use that would let her use a POP account and had a Select All button and I found myMail. I set it up for her and within a few minutes she had deleted all those old emails and had a clean inbox.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Looks nice from that screenshot, but I'm not paying $2 to find out, especially if there are no customer reviews yet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

aeiou posted:

Any recommendations for a good walking/cycling tracker? That can graph time, distance, speed and a map over time?
Strava. It's free and it owns.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mechanical Fiend posted:

Just slide the camera all the way to the top and pull it back down.
That didn't do anything for me :confused:

VSCO Cam (camera app) is free and lets you leave the flashlight on.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If your push notifications aren't working try disabling and re-enabling them for whatever app they aren't working for. Some of my apps did that when I upgraded to the iOS 8 GM but I fixed them by doing that.

Gmail app has been pushing fine for me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Speaking of Gmail app, it just got updated for the 6/6+ and it looks sooooooo nice :circlefap:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

weather underground
Weather Underground's widget blows :smith:

I still have yet to see a free, accurate weather widget better than Yahoo's, which blows because Yahoo's could be so much better.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

terriyaki posted:

The widget for the Yahoo weather app got updated and it looks pretty sweet.

Too bad the app itself still isn't optimized for the 6+ though.
All they did is change the size/placement of the Flickr picture and added a section about tomorrow's conditions, right? It looks a little nicer but it's not a big improvement.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Instagram finally got updated for 6/6+ and it's pretty!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I live in New Orleans so the weather changes every goddamn day here. One day it's 95 and sunny, the next it's 85 and raining, the next it's 65 and windy, then it'll be 95 and sunny again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

rotaryfun posted:

Don't forget weather apps.
Still waiting on that goddamn perfect weather widget :argh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pissflaps posted:

Imagine a music playing grocery list app with a weather widget.
Also it's the best podcast app there is. And it lets you chain poo poo together like IFTTT. And you can browse the forums with it. Then goons would never need another app.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They can make the app crispier but they can't make the weather widget perfect? :argh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Josh Lyman posted:

Does the Yahoo Weather widget constantly crash for anyone else?
It didn't start doing that for me until a couple days ago but now, yeah, it's consistently saying "Unable to load" or just displaying blank space. I don't know what did it. Did an iOS update break it? Or an update to the app itself?

I'm gonna jump ship for BeWeather one day soon because that looks nice and I was never like a massive fan of the Yahoo widget anyway, it was just better looking than all the alternatives.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I finally bought BeWeather 2 and it's pretty rad. I love being able to customize the weather icons and the font and poo poo to my liking. And the Today widget is pretty much perfect for me so far. And the nearest weather station is only a few streets away from my house :)

My only gripe is that when I open the app back up after I'm either in another app or my phone is locked, it doesn't seem to auto-refresh and I don't know how to refresh it. Like right now, it's 8:07 and it says "Reported at 7:43PM", which is what it said like 15 minutes ago too. But maybe that particular weather station only refreshes at intervals like every 30 minutes or every hour or something like that? If that's the case, then that's not a gripe. I've just only been using it for a few hours and not completely sure how it works yet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ChetReckless posted:

If you hit the hamburger icon in the top left you can pull down on the locations to force a refresh. Not sure if that will do anything if the station reports periodically. Mine eventually auto refreshes a moment after opening the app.
I just opened it up for the first time in like 2 hours and left it open for a moment and it did its auto-refresh thing. I didn't need to force it by selecting a location. It just didn't seem like it was working properly earlier, but maybe it was. Oh well v:shobon:v

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gunder posted:

The attached photo is a screenshot of Apple's weather app. What does the weather symbol for Friday mean? If it just means that it's freezing, then I already know that on account of the temperatures being in the negative. Why not show the sunny symbol or the snow symbol, or any other symbol? If that symbol just means that it's below zero degrees, then displaying any other symbol would be more informative, as I already can get that data from the numerical values.

.....cold temperatures? :shepface:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

nPlayer question - I used to be able to watch live TV with nPlayer using my HDHomeRun via DLNA without any problems. Now the device immediately appears when I scan my network, same as before, but whenever I try to open a channel, it says "Service failure." and refuses to connect. I'll do this at the same time that I'm using Windows Media Center to watch TV on my PC from the HDHomeRun, so I know it works, but I want to watch it from another room on my phone and now I can't for some reason when I used to be able to? What gives?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I'm just recently getting into listening to podcasts a lot at work. Does the iOS8 stock app (which I've been using so far) do push notifications when new episodes become available? I want to see them in my Notification Center, and I haven't seen that feature so far, if it's a feature of that app at all. If not, is there an app that does that? I'm fine with paying a few bucks for one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Pocket Casts
Overcast
Downcast

Take your pick, they're all good and have their one strong point over others.
Awesome, thanks. I downloaded Overcast because it has a free version with features you can unlock later via an in-app purchase if you need to (but honestly, none of them sounded like features I'd really need).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ummm so I got Overcast and 2 new episodes have come out for the podcasts I'm subscribed to, but I didn't get push notifications about them despite push notifications being enabled for all of those podcasts (I checked each one and it was enabled on all of them. I guess they get enabled by default because I didn't do that myself.) I only found them because I opened the app, it found new episodes and started downloading them.

Is the app broken? Should I download a different podcast app that actually has working push notifications?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CaptainPsyko posted:

Current overcast version has a host of sync bugs. This might be one of them. Reportedly fixed in version that is currently sitting in App Store Review Hell.
Ah, okay. Thanks. It actually gave me push notifications about 2 new episodes that came out today but didn't download either of those automatically. The ones I posted about, those downloaded automatically but I didn't get any notifcations about them.

I guess I could just wait until the new version comes out. Or is there a different podcast app you guys use that's more stable? Since this ain't exactly the best first impression.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ChetReckless posted:

The good news: Overcast just updated, supposedly fixing the sync bugs.

The bad news: it starts downloading "some" deleted podcasts, which in my case was 100+. It's a one time thing apparently, but keep an eye on it when you update.

The update also includes "Nitpicky Details" in the settings menu. The cool thing I found in there is the ability to stop the three button remote thing on the earpods from skipping whole podcasts when I'm just trying to skip 30 seconds when wearing gloves.

Endless Mike posted:

Overcast 1.1.4 came out today and hopefully fixes some of the bugs from the last version. The notes indicate taking care of a sync bug.

EDIT: Beaten by a ninja jfc
I ended up buying Pocket Casts a couple days ago and I love it. I'm way more satisfied with it than I was with Overcast. It's cool that they got it at least partly fixed, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Accipiter posted:

Oh good, my iPhone has a new Apple Watch app that I will never use and cannot remove.
I just checked and I don't have anything like that :confused:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Accipiter posted:

Have you upgraded to 8.2?
Oh poo poo, I had no idea that a new update came out today :haw:

I missed the conference earlier because I had work.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've been using Pocket Casts for months now and love it except for one thing: there's one podcast I listen to where I've listened to most of its episodes but not all of them, so I tried to mark the ones I'd already listened to and just download periodically from the unmarked ones since that would mean I hadn't listen to them. The only way to do this in the app is to favorite them (at least, I think), and sometimes it seems like the favorite stars just disappear on some episodes for seemingly no reason so I'll have to go back and favorite them again if I'm sure I've listened to them already. That's annoying as poo poo and seems like it should work better than that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The last time I used AIM was like 2009 and I haven't really heard of anyone else using it since then either, so I kind of assumed it had died off completely around the same time MySpace did.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Are these blockers only for Safari? I installed Crystal earlier because it was free (apparently it's not anymore?), but I'm watching last night's episode of Colbert's Late Show on the CBS app and there are just as many ads as there would ever be.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tweetbot is my poo poo, so if the new one is better, I will absolutely shell out a few bucks for it if I have to. The current one is pretty much fine as it is, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Night mode is the only way to use Tweetbot :cool:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

keevo posted:

Did Facebook get rid of the Most Recent feed on the app or did they move it (again)?
Go to More > See More > Feeds > Most Recent. They sure don't want to make it easy to find, but it's still there.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Dave posted:

I don't even have it in the feeds list, looks like they killed it. Which is very upsetting.
Oh no :ohdear: If that's true, I'll probably never check my news feed on the Facebook app again. I'll only keep it around for notifications.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I used Paper when it first dropped and liked it but then I quit using it when I realized it didn't have a proper Most Recent feed. Does it have one now?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Dave posted:

And now most recent is back?
Yeah, I noticed that too. Maybe it was just a temporary glitch?

Are there any good 3rd party apps that let you check your Facebook news feed? I'd gladly shell out a few bucks for an app that consistently did not gently caress up like the official Facebook app does.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Neurophonic posted:

Tweetbot 4 is out, $5 for upgrade, or $5 rising to $10 after a launch period for new users.
What does it change/improve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I upgraded anyway because it's probably one of my most-used apps. Tweetbot 4 is real pretty and the Activity page is going to be super useful. That was kind of a glaring omission in Tweetbot 3.