Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Re: tasks in Calendars 5, it's got some bugs right now. Off the top of my head I think it could end up duplicating tasks and added due dates to stuff instead of just adding an alarm like the stock app without a working way to remove them (you can delete the due date in the UI but it doesn't stick). And the widget doesn't do reminders at all but that's more of a missing feature than bug. I emailed Readdle about that stuff and they're aware and working on them. If not for the bugs it'd be a nice replacement for the stock app if you hate the UI of it like I do. Then again I'd still need notification sounds from the stock app for my custom alarm sounds, and I guess banner notifications cause Calendars 5 doesn't have a mark as completed option yet, just snooze... and a longer snooze :doh:

For more elaborate tasks, I guess "to do", there's 2Do which just got a big redesign finally. I used to use it for iCloud reminders but ran into some issues occasionally cause its functionality is beyond the scope of what iCloud's basic reminders can handle. Pretty sure it works fine with other sync options (I think Dropbox) but then you need the desktop app to handle stuff there if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Highly Unnecessary posted:

I plan on switching to an android phone soon and still have $80 of credit on my itunes account, is there any way to turn this into real money? I was thinking maybe through a gambling app but I don't have any experience with them.

Otherwise, how would you guys recommend spending it?
Use it to pay for some service that works everywhere like whatever music/video/movie streaming stuff...if they take payments in app at least.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

I think Americans prefer nplayer because VLC in the US has some weird DRM issues.

Plex and a media server on your computer will make this much more seamless and just let you stream the data to your device. There are some apps now that also let you play from Dropbox or google drive.
I use nPlayer cause it can connect to whatever file share without a server needed and stream pretty much everything. The only real drawback is that since you're streaming the native file it doesn't work too well outside of a LAN with high quality files (barring kick rear end upload and download speeds).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

So, what's the go to for filling in PDF forms these days?

Ideally free?
Not free but I use PDF Expert. GoodReader is one of the other major apps and while I have no clue how it's PDF form support compares, I wouldn't be too worried about it cause it's generally been pretty solid functionally. With that said there were like a billion other PDF apps last I looked but nothing in particular pulled me from PDF Expert. I'm sure they were fine and had some novel features of their own, just no real need to switch apps for me at this point.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xilni posted:

From what I can tell you can't get VLC anymore, it was pulled from the App Store.

Otherwise you have a few options but none of them support AC3 audio which makes them a non option for me since I like 720p or 1080p MKVs and most of all of them have come with AC3 audio so far.
nPlayer says it does, sounds like they worked out some licensing agreement with Dolby (probably a few other major apps too). I don't think anything supports DTS though, but I don't think it's as common at least.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

Well, I used the new version on my phone for about 10 seconds and it managed to drain over 20% of my battery in the background that day, so I uninstalled it. Skype is a POS on the mac too though. "There's got to be a better way!"

edit: Basically, I'm trying to help an old lady make some international calls with her mother in Switzerland or some poo poo and video calls with her sons. The only computer she has ever owned is a 2006 iMac-- don't know whether it's G5 or Core Duo-- which would work except Skype EOLed all the clients available on the most recent OS it can run.
Tell them to all get iOS devices and just use FaceTime audio/video.

Actually how's Google Hangouts, would it work for this situation?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Smoot posted:

There isn't actually a limitation, there are several apps that will decode on-device. I use It's Playing to stream videos from my NAS's Samba share.
Yeah there's a bunch, I use nPlayer myself. Well there's a bunch that can play stuff but last I tried looking (way back at this point) not everything did streaming, along with the others that use a transcoding server app...so searching might bring up a whole bunch of useless stuff for your use.

One nicety of the transcoding apps though is that they work better outside the LAN if that ever comes up cause they can reduce quality down enough for remote connections or your home upload limit.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

Following up on this: I looked at Pinterest and while you can make a board full of stuff, there's no way to arrange it at all. I need something that's like a virtual cork board.
I wouldn't be surprised if there's something on iOS that'd work (god knows there's a bunch of random stuff), but I wouldn't be so sure about something that'd work on the web too. I'd try searching for general terms like art board or paste board (or table? I forget the common artsy terms). Maybe look into mind mapping stuff too cause that should also give you physical/visual layout of stuff and I think there's larger companies supporting that workflow name.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bucket Joneses posted:

Can someone who bit the bullet and re-purchased the "new" GoodReader tell me if it's at all worth it?

I mostly just use it to sync my KeePass database and the occasional file from my Dropbox and FTP accounts.

If there is significant improvement over the original app's UI, I'd consider buying it again but if it's just the same clusterfuck of "What does THIS button do??" then I'll pass.
Can't you do that stuff with Readdle Documents (free)? If you don't need the fancy PDF editing stuff and just want some basic file management it should do the trick.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

cbirdsong posted:

Ooh, I wasn't aware of this. If it's as pleasant to use as PDF Expert, which they also make, it's definitely worth checking out.

Handy link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/documents-5-fast-pdf-reader/id364901807?mt=8

Aside: How the hell is this free?
Rhetorical question I assume but I'll bite, it probably pays off by sucking people into buying their other apps. And a chunk of those other apps (Documents, PDF Expert, the printer app, and the PDF converter app) seem mostly the same besides whatever key feature so they're probably getting the most bang for their development buck.

obi_ant posted:

What's a good game that's quick to play like in 1-5 minute sessions (typically these are timers)? I've played almost all of the iterations of Tiny Tower, Clash of Clans, Disco Zoo etc.
There's a games thread somewhere, but for quick games I'd suggest Super Hexagon and Super Gravitron, the latter is free! Dodonpachi Maximum should work too (if it still works), each level should be under 5 minutes I think.

~Coxy posted:

iSSH crashes when SSHing into my Mac over wifi on my new 5S when it worked fine on my 5.
Is there a way I can extra a crash log or similar so I can contact the dev about it?
There's logs somewhere in Settings -> General I think.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Try MxTube, although it doesn't have YouTube's auto Safari->app thing...which was a plus for me.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

I've had this weird safari bug on my mini retina that I haven't seen anyone post in here:

Intermittently when I do a Google search from the url bar, I can't click links or page elements until I scroll.

So, google "dogs" (I do this constantly) and sometimes nothing can be clicked until I scroll down and up.

Anyone else run into this? I'm thinking it seems rare enough that a restore should clear it up.
Yeah I've run into it a few times, same device. I'm thinking it has something to do with the resizing toolbar but that's just a wild guess. Anyway I'm assuming it's just another iOS 8 bug.

Vinlaen posted:

Infuse 3 has just been updated to support iOS 8 and the iPhone 6/6+. They also added support for DTS so you can literally play just about ANY type of video with it now.

I'm still comparing video players for iOS but this one seems like the one to beat.
Infuse 2 kinda sucked, just downloaded it again and I guess it gave me the "legacy pro" upgrade in 3, didn't check what it adds exactly (DTS I guess?). Anyway it seems alright. There's a fancy thumbnail/poster view it shows in the screenshots but the speed of loading directories could've been better. It does still have a list view (...in the add menu) which works fine though. Playback seemed fine from a few quick tests.

I'll still be using nPlayer though, just has a basic list view but it seems to be a bit quicker in loading directories and there's other niceties like a search filter and just more customization and usage options. It doesn't have DTS afaik but I haven't run into that much if it all myself.

Martytoof posted:

Guhh. How has Google not updated their hosed up Youtube app yet? You'd think they'd notice tons of one star reviews on the app store, or maybe -- god forbid -- run it on all possible iPads before they released it into the wild..
MxTube! And/or just the website, screw the official app.

spanky the dolphin posted:

That is one of the things I use Siri for. Say 'Location Services' and it brings up a button for it.
It doesn't help much when there's still a big list of apps once you get there though. A little search field at the top of those lists would really be useful.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't know about that, but I do know that anytime I'll be using iPay or whatever I now won't be using my Amazon card, but will instead be using a different card. So if their goal was to get me to use their card less, I guess they succeeded?
Yeah they're competitors but Amazon makes money off Apple too, it's like saying there should be no Amazon apps on iOS cause it helps Apple. The reason to get on Apple Pay would be to get people to make it easier to use their card, if they're not on there people could put other cards that are and use them instead. Even if they're planning they're own thing* it's still good cause it gets people used to it in the first place, there's less need to try to convince people for the use case cause Apple already did the work to establish it.

*Which reminded me of Amazon Payments which is like PayPal, which reminded me of this story:
http://bankinnovation.net/2014/09/missing-from-the-paypal-ipo-apple-pay/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

priznat posted:

So it used to be Goodreader, but is there a new good option for reading and annotating PDFs? Both iPhone and iPad, and supports Dropbox

Pdf pro 2 looks pretty good, any recs for that or something else?
Haven't used that one but I've been using PDF Expert by Readdle for a while. You can semi check it out with their free Documents app which has the file management UI more or less all there, but PDF Expert has a different viewing engine iirc and otherwise full annotation/editing options (while Documents is really bare bones there).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Born Approx. posted:

When I snip a paragraph of a news article from a webpage (using safari) to paste into a message, a lot of the time the webpage will add "Read more: <article url>" to the clipboard. Is there any way to prevent that behavior? It's annoyed the poo poo out of me for years.
You'd have to block the JavaScript that's doing it, which should theoretically be possible with Weblock as long as the script is external and you're on wifi. Course you need to know where the script is coming from to block it, or you could cross your fingers and just turn on all the filters in Weblock. It's generally ok but some sites don't always work right with ad blockers, mostly media servers in my experience.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wooger posted:

What is Weblock, not a jailbreak app right?
Yeah it's on the App Store, and FAQ on how it works:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/weblock-adblock-for-ios/id558818638?mt=8
http://www.weblockapp.com/faq/

I got it when it was free a while back, seems to work fine, albeit with the caveats I mentioned before (which apply to all ad blocking stuff really). The main limitation is that it can't block embedded stuff. Like most pages load ads/scripts and crap from external servers, but some also have scripts embedded into the pages themselves. There's also occasionally just random poo poo where it's hard to figure out the source, particularly on iOS without a web inspector* to look at the code. One other random thing, nPlayer's web browser is really annoying with it cause it pops up "cannot load" messages for everything that's blocked (5 ads blocked? 5 individual popups!).

*...I think someone mentioned an iOS 8 app for that actually, but I forget the name.

Amusingly they also have an app to block in app ads (without the proxy trick they're using for the other one), I'm surprised that one got approved considering they're probably blocking a good number of iAds.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bucket Joneses posted:

I can find any of those in the App Store.
Are you searching from an iPhone/iPod? Cause those are iPad only I think.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Hughlander posted:

Thanks for the input then! I'll make sure you get a participation medal for it.

My normal commute is under 3 miles. Taking a phone out of a pocket waiting for the Bluetooth to sync and starting a music app is way too much effort on the average day vs turning the key and the radio is already on.

Still want a map with a phone profile though.
I thought the stock app added a little speaker button that lets you pick the output, might only show up once you start navigation though and no clue if the setting is temporary or perpetual. I remember it cause my car has BT phone and I got a BT music adapter a little while ago and caused some confusion, iirc Apple Maps went through the music while Google Maps went through the phone (...which was kinda lovely cause there was a delay in the connection so the first audio bit always got cut off).

Kamakaze9 posted:

Goodreader, and I assume expert by readdle. Honestly though, I have seen a pdf reader that doesn't support cloud services.

E: re-read, I don't know copy or if anything works with it.. Sorry
Yeah I think most would be able to do it but with Copy in particular being a big question mark. Could try just asking app devs to include support for Copy since it looks like they have an API for that kind of thing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dexter6 posted:

How cool - I pointed my camera at the computer screen and it looks like one just worked.

MAGIC
I was gonna ask if that worked, it grabbed the MTYP one for me.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
It's Playing Pro says it can do frame by frame, I don't have it myself but someone else a little while back recommended it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Trying out Minuum and my friend asked me if I was drunk. "Starting out your day right, eh?" :v:
If you want a small keyboard Fleksy's small size is basically the same height as Minuum's mini mode and works better personally. Not that it doesn't have it's own set of weird bugs.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

AirPlayerHD CineXPlayer NPlayer OPlayer XBMC the list goes on and on and on (but those are the good ones). There is good media poo poo out there and none of it includes the need to install crap on your computer.
Quoting this for the new page cause there's a billion of the things that work fine for this while people keep suggesting Plex instead.

randyest posted:

How often do you "go to Disney" (and why) and is that world or land? Do you work there or something?
I used to go (to land) often too, when my family all had annual passes...course with how expensive they've gotten you kinda justify going a bunch to make up for it. For us it was basically a local park if we were bored and wanted to kill a few hours.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I use MxTube but I'm not sure it'll do the specific stuff you want...and searching for it now it appears to have been pulled :(

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
GoodReader does more PDF stuff, a better comparison would be PDF Expert. If you just want some file management though Documents is fine.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Roobsa posted:

How can I stop the YouTube app from opening automatically opening YouTube links pasted into Safari?
Delete the YouTube app, or some trick with app restrictions but it was annoying iirc.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

smoobles posted:

What's the best app for putting previously downloaded videos from your PC onto your iPad, without any loss of quality? I need to copy the files onto it -- not stream -- because it's for travel.
There's a few apps out there that play whatever formats and store stuff locally. I use nPlayer...for streaming, but the description says it does wifi transfer as well as USB (presumably through iTunes' file storage interface). The file interface is fairly bare bones vs some others which have much fancier looking UIs, but it's simple and works. One caveat is that there's a bug right now with HD WTV files but I'm guessing you're not dealing with those.

Off the top of my head some others that might work are It's Playing, AV Player, and I guess Infuse? Might be "HD" tackled onto the names for some, and I've noticed poor looking same named apps so watch out for that too when searching.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

bobfather posted:

NINtype keyboard just got a really slick update and kicks a whole lot of rear end. Costs $5 and has a hell of a learning curve, but I'm really liking it so far.
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/12/03/nintype-keyboard-for-ios/

That looks quite... :pcgaming:. Know if it works ok for just plain touch typing on iPad or does it seem more tailored to two thumbs?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

SwiftKey has basically become my default. It's the best.

Minuum is okay, but it tends not to autocorrect when you want it to.

For some reason Swype seemed like night to SwiftKey's day. I hated it.

I have that weird spaceman looking keyboard on app shopper for a price drop. If it's got as big of a learning curve as people say, I'm not willing to invest 5 bone.
Minuum had the worst auto correct of the ones I tried (and wasn't even any smaller than Fleksy's smallest size), and yeah SwiftKey seemed a lot nicer than Swype from the short time I played around with both.

And I assume you mean Nintype by spaceman looking keyboard. The learning curve isn't too bad for just typing at least, I'm still getting better at it but I generally got the gist from the little tutorial and just typing random stuff out. Basically just think of it as a tap and/or swipe keyboard with both fingers, simultaneously if you want (side note: it kinda fucks you up on other keyboards once you're used to it). It kinda seems easier the less you think about it and just go, at least until you gently caress up really bad on a quick swipe and forget to type some key letters of the word with the opposite hand.

I think the main issue is just remembering the shortcuts to little stuff, like swipe down on V is comma and down-M is period (I think), and a bunch of stuff like that on top of the other gesture and menu commands. Non typing action wise, there's a shitload of settings (which you may or may not need to ever bother with) and they're all within the keyboard itself (to avoid the full access thing), so it can be annoying to mess with them. I've tweaked some stuff to my liking and left a bunch alone cause hell if I know what they do.

And something a few people would be interested in since it's come up before, it supports multiple dictionaries simultaneously. Adding to the dictionary is simple too from what I can tell, just type something out slowly enough and it'll add once you hit space, it also shows a little "+yourword" thing on the spacebar as you're typing like that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

radge posted:

This Workflow app seems nice. A bit like a supercharged native IFTTT. 40% off launch special too.
That looks pretty neat...also seems like something Apple will reject down the line for whatever reason :tinfoil:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I tried out Nintype and wow that was $5 I'll never get back.

I think I'm just really not a fan of how iOS handles alternate keyboards, which is to say, poorly.
There's a way to request a refund on the store actually...I forget how exactly, but your $5 is likely recoverable.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Feenix posted:

Is Transmit cool? I want to want it. I like Panic. What are some common "use cases" that would be cool?
If you have a server (or home server) you can use it for anything that supports the new iOS 8 file storage provider thing. You can send files to the server, open files from it, do some simple text editing. I haven't used it as such, but it has local file storage so you could use it for local file management (like GoodReader, PDF Expert and what not) along with doing the same stuff on remote servers (which those other apps don't handle beyond just transfers/syncing).

One caveat is that it doesn't support SSH tunneling right now (it's planned) so if you have servers behind a separate SSH tunnel you won't be able to access them.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

What's wrong with the regular YouTube app?
I hate that it kicks you out of Safari, the non standard controls kinda stink personally, and can't set a default video quality, which wouldn't be a big deal but it seems like the auto quality is way too conservative and goes to poo poo a lot when my connection handles 720p+ fine.

decypher posted:

MxTube, but its been pulled from the AppStore so unless you already downloaded it you're SOL.

MxTube has a popup right now, set to disappear later this month, which recommends Tubex. I've been using Tubex and its everything I could ask for in a YouTube client.
Another MxTube to Tubex person here, it pretty much seems like a newer version of MxTube, but without the file downloading feature. And yeah it's great, hope it doesn't get pulled for whatever reason :ohdear:. Although if it does I wouldn't be surprised if it comes back under another name :v:

priznat posted:

I got Workflow now I feel like a dumb idiot because I can't think of any workflows worth building.

I have pretty much the same problem with Automator, I should have known!!

It's a very nice app though.
All I could think of was animated gifs and printing to PDF. Not that the latter works how I'd want for web pages at least since it grabs the content based on the URL rather than what's actually displaying at the time (which would differ for dynamic pages or cookied stuff).

I'm sure there's more stuff I could use but I haven't messed with it much beyond that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Snowy posted:

I used mxtube occasionally but only for the downloading. Does Tubex do anything better than the YouTube app?
Well you can pick a default quality instead of the official app's auto quality (which tends to be overly conservative and drop to poo poo a lot here) and the playback controls are pretty much standard instead of whatever YouTube's UI is. And without the YouTube app installed you don't get automatically kicked out of Safari (a plus or minus depending on how you feel about that). Otherwise you can play and AirPlay in the background or locked, I've read others complaining about the official app not doing that, hell I think Safari can even do it now.

Khelmar posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for iOS Powerpoint remote software for people using PP on a Mac? I've tried iClickr and MyPoint, and they're both terrible and slow.
Import into Keynote :v:...unless they gutted the remote functionality in the newer versions.

How much control do they need, like could they get away with just a generic mouse/keyboard thing or does it have to be PP specific w/slide previews and stuff?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Speaking of contacts, is there any way to manage groups from the contacts or phone apps?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

nPlayer question - I used to be able to watch live TV with nPlayer using my HDHomeRun via DLNA without any problems. Now the device immediately appears when I scan my network, same as before, but whenever I try to open a channel, it says "Service failure." and refuses to connect. I'll do this at the same time that I'm using Windows Media Center to watch TV on my PC from the HDHomeRun, so I know it works, but I want to watch it from another room on my phone and now I can't for some reason when I used to be able to? What gives?
Maybe tuner conflict? For one of my Media Center machines I just have two of the three tuners assigned so there's always one free if I want to watch from my iPad. I'm not sure if you can watch a channel/stream on the same tuner as one already being used though...and for all I know something might've changed in HDHomeRun firmware for that. Plus you might as well ask the nPlayer devs and see if they know about it.

One more thing that might make this an unfortunate moot point though, something in the last version broke some WTV files for me, like they display completely wrong. At best the aspect ratio is a little tall, at worst half of the screen is cropped off. I told them about it with a sample file and they said it's fixed in the upcoming version, but it's been a while and it's still not out. Feel free to remind them about that if you email them.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Duke Jeffrie posted:

Is there a video player that has gestures like MXPlayer on Android? I miss swiping to seek and change volume easily.
I know nPlayer does, seems like most of the other popular ones did too last I looked around. (I also saw some fake duplicates of a few, watch out for those)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Dropbox or Box?
Both apps and services are solid. I vaguely remember something about Dropbox's security or something turning me off a while back but whatever. Box occasionally has 50GB free promos (up from the normal free 5 or 10GB) while Dropbox has a bunch of smaller promos. Main (only?) knock I have on Box is that individual files have to be under something like 250 or 500MB for the free accounts, but that hasn't been an issue for my usage.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

duckfarts posted:

This and I'm kinda mad that I updated to the new version from the oooooooold version which let you upload stuff fine, and in bulk to boot. Its biggest problem was that it kept forgetting your login and you'd have to enter your details again.
The old version seemed like it was just the mobile website, like it was just a web view that loaded imgur.com. I got annoyed with it forgetting the login and just made a home screen bookmark of the website long ago to replace the app.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Shazam can run in the background and you get a big ugly red bar at the top of your screen that can't be hidden
Red means capturing audio I think. There's a limit to backgrounding (10 mins, might be 5 now?) but there's specific exemptions like audio, location, VoIP, or other stuff I don't remember. But basically nothing that'd apply to IRC, barring something shady like Facebook did a while back.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

Apps can't just stay active all the time. No disagreement there. The ten minute limit isn't true anymore though. My understanding is that the apps can now have however long it takes to finish whatever they're doing, but with the major caveat that its time isn't guaranteed to be continuous. Also there are a few ways that apps can be woken up in the background, which wasn't possible before.
That might be what I was thinking of re: 10 minute limit, I remember hearing the situation changed but I forgot the exact details.

flosofl posted:

Wasn't that the issue with Facebook app draining the battery? Constantly doing location updates in the background? 8 is definitely a lot more relaxed in terms of apps that can actively do stuff in the background.
Something like that yeah, that's the shady thing I was referring to. I think they registered the app as using one of those background allowable services at one point to allow it to stay open even though it didn't actually need it or didn't use it in the intended manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

the mcdonald's app does not work on ios 9
New Health app clamping down for you.