Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
We might be able to get real ad blockers in iOS now:
https://developer.apple.com/library...0014305-CH9-SW9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
iTunes Match also acts as kind of an amnesty service too though iirc, like you get to download and keep whatever stuff gets matched in higher quality. The question for me is where DRM comes into play for Apple Music since presumably there's something there for the offline functionality to work

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Which bluetooth scanner? If it's the elm, no apps will work because the phone itself can't even connect to it. If it's the gopoint bt1 I have one of those and use it with dash command. I believe it's the only bluetooth one that works with iOS, but it's a bit pricey.
Yeah for Bluetooth the device needs the whole Made for iPhone certification, which pushes most adapters to around the $100 range.

Dash Command switched to $10 w/IAP for some specific manufacturer years so I guess it's not that pricey anymore I guess. OBD Fusion is another one but it doesn't mention the BT1, just wifi and Automatic and LElink adapters. The dev seemed pretty responsive when I asked about some stuff so you could ask him.

Back to adapters for a sec, I got the second gen Automatic one a little while back, $100 but there's $20 off coupon codes that are easy enough to find. A bit sketchy since they released with a limited OBD stack (to be rectified soonish supposedly) and they have some startup connection issues, but the tracking is kinda neat if you have a use for it. If you're interested I'd still wait a bit till they get those issues resolved though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Hughlander posted:

Anyone know why some days Waze has a really low volume? I use it on my 6+ all the time and yesterday I just couldn't hear it in the car over the fans of the AC. I checked phone volume was at max and Waze sounds were on with biggest speaker symbol.
Might depend on how it's outputting sound...iOS has like 2-3 different volume levels. There's ringer volume, music/app volume, and I think another for Siri and/or another specific uses (which can be annoying to change the volume of).

Playing with it for a sec now it looks like Waze uses the app volume, while the volume slider in Waze itself (under its settings) is like a gain slider within/limited by the app volume. Sounds like you should've been fine since phone volume was maxed (hitting the rocket while Waze is open changes the app volume), unless maybe you're using Bluetooth and it didn't go through the usual channel you were expecting?

Was Waze open or just in the background? Kinda wondering if it might be using the ringer volume in the latter case for its notifications.

Minidust posted:

Waze has Arnold Schwarzenegger voice prompts.
And Vlade Divac!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

Yeah, there are a couple of ways to do this with Goodreader, then save it to a synced google drive folder if you want for some reason.

The one off the top of my head is to use the Goodreader browser and there's a save this file to... button. And a context menu as well.
Otherwise if it's already playing in the browser (i.e. the URL is the direct link to the file) I think you can add "g" to the front (ghttp://) it opens up to download in GR. If you don't have it and would like a free option, assuming Readdle Documents is still around it has a similar functionality, where you use "r" instead. It also has a browser that can do the download thing in app too.

And then there's media player apps that can probably do it but I don't know what's free and good.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
uBlock dev has been working on an ad blocker using the new Safari content block thing in iOS 9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzJfyB6LrJs

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

pumpinglemma posted:

You guys know about Weblock, right? It basically gives you ad blocking in iSafari in iOS 8.
Yeah I've been using it for a while, the issue with it vs a real ad blocker is that it can only block by URL rules. It does work for a lot of stuff, but there's also a shitload of stuff that'd either be a pain to set up rules for or needs more granular control like blocking in page elements to work at all.

...and there's the caveat that it only works on wifi cause you need that auto proxy field in settings to work, so even if Weblock might be great at home it's useless when you're on a cellular connection.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DarkSun6890 posted:

I'm looking for an app that will assist me in making word association charts. There are several word association games, but I'm looking for something I can use while writing to draw comparisons and organize my thoughts. Is there anything like this available, possibly even as a web app? Ideally it would offer suggestions, and I could have multiple word bubbles at a time.

E: Something similar to http://www.humanbraincloud.com/#view I suppose.
Would mind mapping (well the general concept) match what you're looking for? Cause I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of apps that do that at least. (Or at least I've seen a few before)

baram. posted:

note: this is by the dev who took over ublock and instantly added a donation button and removed features, spurring the original dev to come back and fork off ublock origin to keep it how it was and just do bug fixes.
Heh I was gonna say "current dev" but wasn't sure of the history besides the original dev walking away. I remember looking a while back and finding forum posts announcing it where he sounded burned out and/or sick of users and transferring the project. I guess I looked a little after he left but before he came back with his own fork.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DarkSun6890 posted:

Mind mapping, thats what it's called! Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Any suggestions? Do any of the apps link up with some kind of word association database so that I can choose a topic and the app will suggest connections to help with brainstorming?
No clue! It's been a few years since I've downloaded some, and the ones I have downloaded I can't remember their names. Searching for "mind map words" in the store (and "word association map") brought up this one from some random dev who may or may not be questionable:

https://appsto.re/us/05jvZ.i

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

If it were me, I'd have people add books to a google spreadsheet, number the cells, and then make a bounded random number with random.org or a sheet function and select that way.

The hat idea is pretty good though and I don't think my way is any better.
I was gonna say something pretty similar, make a spreadsheet in Numbers and use the random function to pick from the range. There's also the form thing (in both now that I think about it) to add more entries without mucking in the main spreadsheet table.

I did something similar a while back for pizza toppings when I was bored, the caveat I saw with the random function is that it only changes picks on changes I think. It was a pretty simple workaround though, I think I just hit the text style or alignment buttons to toggle new random selections. If you want to retain some theatrics (well, as much as you can get out of a spreadsheet) you could split up the selection over another sheet or two. Like have a main sheet with everything, then the next narrowing it down to 5-10 picks, then the last one with the one true book. With a picture of your hat :v:

xcore posted:

I actually said i would pay if there wasn't a free one that did it. I just wanted a recommendation.

Edit: And apologies for venting my frustration. I shouldn't said that expecting it not to be received as whiny threadshitting.
If I knew for sure which had AC3 support I'd suggest something concrete, but if you want to research a little try looking up nPlayer, It's Playing, and AV Player HD. I think the latter two have free demo versions, and I think the last has some knockoff to watch out for (or all of them at one point actually). There's probably a shitload more, I guess try VLC if it's there, Infuse is another off the top of my head.

Oh and if it's an iPad 2 you might be screwed just cause it's slow and might not be able to handle what you throw at it (like HD stuff if it can't hardware decode it). If it's an iPad Air 2 you are a good son/daughter and it can probably play whatever. iPad 2 has the old wide iPod dock connector, iPad Air 2 has the little lightning plug that's reversible.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

porktree posted:

CineXplayer has handled everything I've tossed at it; also Plex, set up a media server and don't live like a savage storing media on the device.
Yeah depending on the usage (like around the house primarily) one of the live transcoding apps could be good. I could never get into Plex but used AirVideo and StreamToMe. Course they depend on a decent enough computer to transcode live to begin with, but anything even remotely recent will work. When I first used them I had a 2ghz C2D for example.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm not sure I fully understand, but do you basically mean like a checklist of things to do in a certain situation? I can't recommend a specific one, but I know that the default Notes app is going to feature checklist support in iOS 9 when it launches, and that Numbers (Apple's Excel equivalent) has some kind of checklist functionality.
UI wise though it still won't be ideal I think, unless he uses the form function maybe? Otherwise maybe a DB app would work similarly but keep things more organized.

Or actual therapy and those other apps apparently.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
It has an option to use the notification badge as the date, ugly but it kinda works if you want that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

savesthedayrocks posted:

Anybody used notability extensively? I've been using mine in class with a lot of success, but the class I'm in currently relies on PowerPoint a lot. I've found a workaround to import the slides in by taking a screenshot, and then adding a "picture" of that slide. It works but is time consuming. Any alternatives?
Haven't had to do that kind of thing in a while, but the trick I did was printing the slideshows to PDF, then importing/drawing on the PDF in the note app. Course I did the print thing on my Mac, but I think there's PDF workflow things now (if not PowerPoint or Keynote themselves) that can convert to PDF right in iOS.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
There's a bunch of apps, I think there's a free DLNA one but most of the good streaming ones cost a few bucks. If you're already relying on Plex for other stuff you might as well get Plex, if not there's all that other stuff to try.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Legs Benedict posted:

You say this, but I was a long time Tweetie user who switched to Tweetbot and now uses the official Twitter client and haven't looked back. The only thing that stinks is having to see ads.
Course the official client got based on Tweetie once they bought it so maybe that helped :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Squack McQuack posted:

Does anybody know of an app that will let me amplify my voice over a bluetooth speaker?

I need to speak into the iPhone's headset and have my voice amplified over a bluetooth speaker. I've found a few apps, but they don't have the exact combo of input/output that I need. They only output to the iPhone's internal speaker or the headphone jack.
Search for megaphone, there's a bunch. I've downloaded one before and it worked, but hell if I know which one, and it looks like there's a lot more now anyway.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Squack McQuack posted:

Yeah, I tried Megaphone but it wasn't Bluetooth compatible - only wired speakers. This has been the case for every app I've found so far.
Huh weird, I thought I used one of those specifically for Bluetooth output before :iiam:. If I get a chance later (and remember) I'll test it out myself.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
SketchBook should do the trick:
https://appsto.re/us/LzmR0.i

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Wondering if anyone can give an app recommendation, or point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for an app that will take voice dictation, turn it into a text entry and automatically add a timestamp, and store it in some sort of text file that can be (not necessarily automatically) transferred to either a cloud folder or emailed or something (to eventually get it on a computer).

Bonus points if it can work through Siri.
Can you dictate mail or a note to yourself? Well I just tested out "send an email to myself" and "make a note" and they seemed to work. Email takes a few steps though, since I have a few emails under my contact, then subject, then the email content. Notes just went to the content, but the time stamp is only in the list view...and will change if you edit the note at all. It did put it in my local notes folder though, I think there's a setting for that but I'm not sure, plus I'm still using the older note format (since I haven't updated my Macs to El Cap yet) so I'm not sure if there's any difference for the new one with regards to dictation.

Croc Monster posted:

Yes, including from me. Both of us came over from Android, and IIRC there was some kerfuffle about iMessage and moving to/from Android, so it could be vestiges of that.

<Scooby-Doo>Looks like we have a mystery on our hands gang!</Scooby-Doo>

And...just texted her back and forth. Blue. Blue everywhere. :shrug:
Tried the sign out and back in, or delete message thread troubleshooting steps? Can't think of anything else other than your or her data connection blowing or being non existent (like if you're on a call) when she texts you.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I was thinking of getting a Google Cardboard viewer for a friend who has an iPhone 6 and enjoys these kind of gadgets.

I've read that it's maybe not so good on iPhone, though (something about having bad resolution)? Are there any decent apps?

Also, recommendations on a decent viewer that's not too expensive are welcome.
Is the friend old enough to remember what a View Master is? Cause there's a new one that's basically a fancier Cardboard (i.e. not made out of cardboard):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011EG5HJ2/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The theory is apparently the culprit denied actively snooping and claimed she saw it by accident when she was handed the phone to look at something else, but the times don't correlate. So this would prove her guilt if it happened again?

But yeah I just said change the passcode.
Just turn on airplane mode or turn off notifications, and be sure to use restrictions for everything but the app you're showing before handing to friends.

Or use that assisted touch mode or whatever it is for disabled people or children like the people you hang out with.
Fake edit: guided access, notifications presumably still come through though, watch out in case someone texts something bad about her to that phone! And if they're the type to snoop, they might get offended when they find out they're locked into the app to prevent their snooping!

Or tell everyone to grow up...or stop giving her phone out if it's gonna be this stupid every time.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If it's not a consumable thing look for a restore purchases option somewhere, otherwise yeah it should be syncing save progress to the same file in iCloud. I guess make sure you're signed in to the same account on everything, that's all I can think of...unless yeah, maybe the game was designed for independent play on each (or had an option for that). Contacting the devs about it might be the easiest route to see what's going on.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Refine is another one, has the usual big lists but I basically use it for blacklisting stuff if I run into something annoying often enough. It can be used just as a blacklist in conjunction with another blocker, like with BlockBear since that only does whitelisting. I used to use 1Blocker I think for that (as the one free blocker in it) but I liked something better about entering the stuff in Refine iirc.

It also has some sharing feature so you can share your own and search for other user created block lists. Biggest annoyance I have with it is that it doesn't have an iPad view so it's just a big iPhone app on there.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

I'm looking for an app that would be able to download zip files and extract them directly to a folder that the app contains.
A lot of the file management apps should handle that fine, fairly sure both GoodReader and Documents can at least.

quote:

I also need to make sure it'd let me download MP3 files and open them and play them within the app.
Documents can. I forget about GR...but it probably can (if nothing else through the system standard quick look view).

quote:

Additionally, it be cool if you have some sort of organizational tools or way to edit files, edit album names, move files around etc.
If you mean anything to do with the MP3 tags probably not (in those apps), but anything as far as the basic files (file naming, folders, moving, etc) is fine.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Amazon Cloud Drive is $60/year for unlimited (or presumably :airquote: unlimited) while Dropbox is what, $10/month for 1TB?

I switched most of my usage to Box a while back cause their free 50GB promo, and got Amazon last week during their $5 unlimited promo...but haven't used that one yet so I'm not sure how their apps are. Mostly just been interested in it for backing up my computer using Arq.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Thirst Mutilator posted:

It doesn't resemble the stock Android keyboard and what everyone said about third party keyboards is true, but Nintype is probably the most impressive keyboard I've used on iOS, and probably still worth checking out
They’re less crappy on 9.2, or at least Nintype specifically is semi consistent for me that I haven’t had to do anything drastic if it doesn’t pop up. Like before I had to restart apps or remove and re add in Settings, or restart the phone sometimes, but it seems lately it comes back pretty easily if it doesn’t show up the first time.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Chrome on iOS won't even allow you to use a 3rd party keyboard anymore because they all suck rear end on iOS
Apparently there was some crashing bug specific to Chrome (and I think Gmail) with the third party keyboards. I think it's ok as of 9.2, but I’m just going off of some tweets I saw from the Nintype dev for all that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

From whet I research, Apple Music raise their limit to 25k songs, anyone run into the issue?
I believe the limit was 25k (same with iTunes Match), and just got raised to 100k recently. (Or maybe that was just iTunes Match? :iiam:) edit - yeah it was for both.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
There's various file management and/or video player apps that can connect to whatever servers to download stuff (video player specific ones being able to play more than the standard formats). Readdle Documents is a free one, should work fine if your video is MP4 and supports whatever server protocol you're using.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Funso Banjo posted:

Can the safari ad blocker thingy stop Youtube playing ads? The one I use on my PC does . . . Would love to start using my ipad to watch youtube videos again. I'm on 8.something and am loath to lose my jailbreak, but adfree youtube might persuade me.
They can stop YouTube ads in Safari. And a side note, if you have the YouTube app there's a trick to block it from auto launching with ad blockers.

(And remember they're 64-bit only, so if you're on an old enough device don't bother if you're upgrading just for ad blocking)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What's the trick japtor?!
I'm not sure what blockers do it, but I'm using Refine for it, I figure it should work in any that let you do custom rules.

From what I can tell you basically just block "youtube. com" (notice the space in there):

I don't know if it still works (gently caress the piece of poo poo YouTube app) but it did last time I had it installed. This is all from Safari though, I'm not sure about YouTube links from other apps.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

hotsauce posted:

What's the best call recording app for iOS? I see a few that are widely used in the app store, but reviews seem to expose the dev's promises (i.e. functionality limited and pay nags for continued use after buying).

I'm good paying $10-$20 once, but in no way am interested in a recurring "buy more credits" scheme/beg paywall/subscription.
I don't think it'd be allowed on the store if it's possible to begin with, you might be able to side load something perhaps.

Only other way I can think of to record calls (and those apps might be doing this) is having the call go through another service that does the recording. Like when calling through/with Google Voice (barring changes) you can hit one of the numbers to start recording presumably save it to the site. It announces that the call is being recorded iirc so you can't use it secretly (unless you start it while the other puts you on hold or something?).

ray_finkle_himself posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a document scanner app?
ScanBot is another.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

Nah, no luck there.

Edit: Ah, I added restarting to my manic troubleshooting. So if the app wasn't downloaded in the App Store, restarting did nothing. If I stopped it mid download, also nothing. But if the app had installed as far as it would go, then I restarted, it got deleted.
Just curious, if you go into storage settings (where it shows the list of apps by size) do you have any blank ones?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Nintype!

...is what I'd say if third party keyboard support wasn't hosed up still.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Steely Glint posted:

Kind of? OS 9 is leagues better than 8, but they still suffer from draconian memory limits and a messy keyboard API. Instances of the keyboard getting randomly replaced by the stock one or other such annoyances occur less frequently and can be further mitigated by trimming your active keyboard list.

Basically try it out, you may be surprised! Or not, depending.
Asked in the iPhone thread but I guess might be more appropriate here, for anyone with a 6S or SE, is Nintype any better stability wise? It's been relatively solid compared to before but it still blows up occasionally on my 6.

As for Gboard, it's kinda neat for quick searching something, although it doesn't work for images into plain text fields since it only copies the image, vs the image + URL like if you copy an image in Safari.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Legs Benedict posted:

And, speaking from a functional angle, the !bang functions are great and save me a lot of time.
That's the main reason to use it over Google personally, the whole privacy angle is nice and all but ultimately not a huge deal to most people.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Probably not enough for what you want, but have you tried the share sheet -> Add to Notes? It makes a little link thing and can append to an existing note or make a new note. Not exactly folders, although I guess you could make a wiki links folder, then do different note/link lists within that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Abu Dave posted:

What's the best meditation app u goons use
How about a website?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dik-dik posted:

MFP is great and I've lost more weight than I planned using it.
There are many options available for dangerously underweight individuals like yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Housh posted:

Ok. I had a feeling. Thanks!
There's ones that work off a proxy file but I'm not sure if they still work. I remember Ghostery had some caveats about theirs, otherwise I used o think Weblock for a while before content blockers were a thing.