Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

nate fisher posted:

The stock mail app doesn't have a snooze aka scheduler function which is a must have for me.

You can ask Siri to remind you about an email later, which isn't quite as seamless, but is an option in a pinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Huge mailbox fan here. Tried out the following replacements this afternoon:

Boxer - I don't like the quotes, social media pushing (why do so many loving apps encourage this. Who shares that they got to inbox zero on FB or twitter. Yes, I can ignore it but the whole point of inbox zero to me is no clutter, barebones and sleek). I also don't need may contacts with their own tab)

Dispatch - Waaaaaay to complicated. Just too feature rich, with features I would never use, for me.

Inbox by Gmail - This is what I ended up settling on. It's still more (needlessly) complex than Mailbox, but it's bright, vivid, pretty clean and the desktop client, Boxy, is nice, too.

I miss the swipes to do different things, that I set (especially Lists) but it's pretty much all there (swipe to snooze, swipe to archive)

For reference, I use an iPad and a Macbook Air; I don't have email on my phone.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Have you tried Outlook yet?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I just downloaded that and Cloud Magic, which had very many positive reviews. I'll report back.

Someone in here suggested Spark, and, even though the iTunes store link says there is an iPad version, it doesn't come up for me in any type of search in the iPad app store.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Doesn't Cloud Magic store your info on their own server? This almost certainly violates your employer's security policy if you're using it for your work exchange mail.

Honestly after using Outlook and Inbox for a while I ended up trying out Mail.app again and was surprised at how good it actually is. Probably gonna stick with it for a while.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Haven't opened the app yet but how would I know if it's storing my info on their server or not?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rear end Catchcum posted:

Haven't opened the app yet but how would I know if it's storing my info on their server or not?

Usually in the Privacy Policy. That's where I found out Acompli was storing credentials and retrieving email using their servers and then pushing to the app. Now that Acompli was bought by MS and turned into Outlook my work has validated it's use for Mail since MS is hosting our Exchange servers.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
At first blush, I don't need my files, contacts, and cal in there. I just want super simple email. I'll try it for a bit but I think Inbox is for me. I don't have a work email just one, personal email.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

At first blush, I don't need my files, contacts, and cal in there. I just want super simple email. I'll try it for a bit but I think Inbox is for me. I don't have a work email just one, personal email.

Me too, with the caveat that whatever is in the inbox should also be reflected in the badge count. I can't figure out if any other apps do that.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Tinkering around with iOS for a bit. What's the best swipe keyboard for iPhone that most closely resembles the stock Android google swiping keyboard? On Android, Swype and Swiftkey are not that hot.

Thanks in advance!

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Tinkering around with iOS for a bit. What's the best swipe keyboard for iPhone that most closely resembles the stock Android google swiping keyboard? On Android, Swype and Swiftkey are not that hot.

Thanks in advance!

Swiftkey or Swype, but 3rd party keyboards on iOS are all bad because Apple's keyboard APIs are apparently terrible.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

maduin posted:

Swiftkey or Swype, but 3rd party keyboards on iOS are all bad because Apple's keyboard APIs are apparently terrible.

They all also seem to be laggy and crash for no reason. I'd love to have a swipey keyboard but i can't stand the unreliability of the 3rd party keyboards so every few months I try them for a couple of days and then uninstall them in annoyance.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Thanks in advance!

It doesn't resemble the stock Android keyboard and what everyone said about third party keyboards is true, but Nintype is probably the most impressive keyboard I've used on iOS, and probably still worth checking out

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chrome on iOS won't even allow you to use a 3rd party keyboard anymore because they all suck rear end on iOS

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Pissflaps posted:

I'm a Mailbox refugee and have been trying Spark. It's OK, but a bit 'fussy' compared to how nicely minimal mailbox is, and the badge icon doesnt seem to be very good at keeping itself up to date.

I've just got onto Spark and so far I think it will do - does seem a bit more messy but I think some of the features like the signatures will grow on me.

Agreed about the badge icon - if I archive an email on my desktop client, Mailbox updates almost instantly, while I have the feeling Spark won't update until I open the app? Anyone else experiencing this?

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
That's been my experience with Spark as well re: the non-updating badge. On the other hand, a lot of features have won me over. Being able to pull up all email attachments in one menu is game changer coming from Mailbox.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Spark is just for iPhone, correct?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Spark is just for iPhone, correct?

As far as I can tell. I like the looks, but I am looking for a unified UI across devices. I am seriously going to miss Mailbox; I have been trying Inbox and it doesn't fit my email style. The Gmail app is ok, but it's not Mailbox.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Agree, but it's what I'll stick with for now.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Spark has an iPad version in the works, and have expressed interest in an OSX app as well. Keep your eye on them, for sure.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Yeah,I saw a Spark iPad interface and an OSX mockup somewhere on twitter or something in the last week.

edit: https://readdle.com/blog/2015/12/mailbox-evolution-of-email-and-spark/

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Spark looks like the Mail app + a bunch of gimmicks. That's pretty much what I think of most e-mail apps for what it's worth.

Edit: Why does every new mail app have to embellish everything, talking about "being the future of e-mail." E-mail is pretty much the same damned thing it's been for a long time. The major feature differences are how to attach files and how to add events to calendars- well, and the theme (colors and font I guess). Sorting is usually not entirely perfect or bad and gestures and cross device integration is pretty much standard across the major apps. The video showed things like Apple Watch integration that is identical to what you can do with the standard Mail application, for example.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 15, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Thirst Mutilator posted:

It doesn't resemble the stock Android keyboard and what everyone said about third party keyboards is true, but Nintype is probably the most impressive keyboard I've used on iOS, and probably still worth checking out
They’re less crappy on 9.2, or at least Nintype specifically is semi consistent for me that I haven’t had to do anything drastic if it doesn’t pop up. Like before I had to restart apps or remove and re add in Settings, or restart the phone sometimes, but it seems lately it comes back pretty easily if it doesn’t show up the first time.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Chrome on iOS won't even allow you to use a 3rd party keyboard anymore because they all suck rear end on iOS
Apparently there was some crashing bug specific to Chrome (and I think Gmail) with the third party keyboards. I think it's ok as of 9.2, but I’m just going off of some tweets I saw from the Nintype dev for all that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Sorry to bring Spotify back, one more question to people here who use Spotify:

I have been adding my music to Spotify, and suddenly I get a message that I have reached the limit of 10,000 songs and can't add more. I was only at "O" too. Any work around, or am I just hosed on this?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I have been adding my music to Spotify, and suddenly I get a message that I have reached the limit of 10,000 songs and can't add more. I was only at "O" too. Any work around, or am I just hosed on this?

Use playlists.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Molten Llama posted:

Use playlists.

So create a separate playlist for each album? If I have to I'll do it, but drat that's a lot of work.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

Duckman2008 posted:

So create a separate playlist for each album? If I have to I'll do it, but drat that's a lot of work.

If you drag a group of songs onto the playlist sidebar it'll automatically name the new playlist after the shared album/artist, which saves some time. But yeah, it's kind of a pain.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
You may actually be among the niche cases where Apple Music's and Google Play's larger library support is a relevant feature.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Slowhanded posted:

You may actually be among the niche cases where Apple Music's and Google Play's larger library support is a relevant feature.

Yeah, the thing keeping me from going all in on either is lack of scrobbling with the apps (I use iPhone/iPad). It's the dumbest reason ever, but I do really like that feature.

Honestly, Spotify's library availability is fine, it's just the 10k limit. I can't fathom why they think that's a good idea. From whet I research, Apple Music raise their limit to 25k songs, anyone run into the issue?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

From whet I research, Apple Music raise their limit to 25k songs, anyone run into the issue?
I believe the limit was 25k (same with iTunes Match), and just got raised to 100k recently. (Or maybe that was just iTunes Match? :iiam:) edit - yeah it was for both.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

Slowhanded posted:

On that note, this and the playlist thing are why I ended up switching to Apple Music. Maintaining a large, album-based library on Spotify eventually turns into hand-alphabetizing album playlists until you get an RSI.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Just get a scrobbling app.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The last.fm iOS app is awful. It won't work on Apple Music unless you add a song to your library before you stream it so its useless for finding random songs you want to remember.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The last.fm iOS app is awful. It won't work on Apple Music unless you add a song to your library before you stream it so its useless for finding random songs you want to remember.

This is why I've been stubborn on staying with Spotify. I've found it usually doesn't pick up the track unless it's downloaded onto the device either.

I'm debating switching to Apple Music though. That's a hell of a lot of work to crests individual playlists.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 16, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

This is why I've been stubborn on staying with Spotify. I've found it usually doesn't pick up the track unless it's downloaded onto the device either.

I'm debating switching to Apple Music though. That's a hell of a lot of work to crests individual playlists.

I'm in the same boat as yourself. I'm on a trial of Spotify at the moment but I just got a 64Gb iPhone so I think I'll jump ship fairly soon.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Is there some sort of greater benefit of scrobbling I don't know about? I've seen people time and time again say they can't live without it. As far as I know it just creates internet noise because no one cares what you personally listen to. I'd like to think there's a really great part of all this I'm missing.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Can someone recommend me an RSS feed reader?

I'd like it to push alert me
And be able to either single post or digest feeds for me
And badge the app based on posts I've read or not read
Free or paid doesn't matter (I'll just skip a hamburger or two this week)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

benisntfunny posted:

Is there some sort of greater benefit of scrobbling I don't know about? I've seen people time and time again say they can't live without it. As far as I know it just creates internet noise because no one cares what you personally listen to. I'd like to think there's a really great part of all this I'm missing.

Keeping track of what you listen to!

There's loads of times I've had random playlists on shuffle and wanted to go back to find a track.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Keeping track of what you listen to!

There's loads of times I've had random playlists on shuffle and wanted to go back to find a track.

So if apps purely just gave you a personal history of what you listened to that no one else could see that would suffice? I'm not trying to be snarky-just curious.

I thought the publishing aspect is what made scrobbling more than just a log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It follows what you listen to and recommends concerts in your area too!