Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Anyone here use Automatic's 2nd gen? Have a friend who said the first was good albeit very mediocre and I kinda am eager to know if the second is any better/reliable.

https://www.automatic.com/home/
I have one that I stopped using cause it caused bluetooth audio issues. One "solution" there someone found is it's fine if you switch wifi off on the phone :iiam:, worked for me but I just got over doing it every time getting in and out of the car. Other than that it was alright, it was nice seeing car trips and stuff, although I also do general location tracking with my phone with Moves anyway. I never had any car issues that the Automatic app or OBD Fusion caught afaik so I can't say too much about the diagnostic stuff.

For performance uses (i.e. live OBD data) it's ok, if a bit slow latency wise, but I have no point of comparison really, according to this Harry's LapTimer page it refreshes at 5Hz. I think the biggest issue I have with it feature wise is that it seems kinda limited, like there's stuff that can be tweaked but Automatic doesn't allow it...granted cause it's the type of poo poo that can cause issues afaik. Like for my car (Mini, also applies to BMWs) there's a crapload of settings that's normally only for dealers/auto shops to mess with (I just want to tweak some display and default settings myself), and deeper diagnostic access if that ever comes up.

If you want to try it I can sell you mine for I dunno, $50 shipped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Did you die?
Nope :toot:, just busy all day yesterday and couldn’t check the thread.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Where do people get cheap iTunes gift cards? I see them seemingly often, but I can't find any deals right now.
In the past I've gotten them from Costco where they're regularly on sale (if they still have them at least), otherwise the occasional Best Buy, Target, or eBay deal.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

My wife would like to construct a thing that combines text, pictures, and hyperlinks on her iPad and I’m not sure how to do it or if it’s possible/worth the hassle.

For use number one, she’d like to make a sketch of our yard with all the plants labeled. Then (in general terms) if you tap on a plant the view goes to a section with info on that plant (preferably with categories like watering, pest care, pruning time, etc.), and probably a couple of pictures too.

It doesn’t look like Pages can do it, but I’ve only tried for a few minutes. Any suggestions?
Looks like Keynote can do it actually, you can select an element > Link, and pick another slide. It looks like it could potentially get confusing while building though, since when you pick a slide it just shows the slide number, and not sure there's a way around that. So if you end up making a whole bunch of slides you have to remember which particular slide is where when linking. And if you link to a webpage (if that was part of the plan) it switches to Safari instead of opening in app.

Something like a personal wiki or mind map w/drawing seems like it'd work well here, but no clue what's out there for that (if there's anything) and searching the App Store right now didn't help. Sounds like OneNote is worth a shot at least if Keynote is too clunky or limited.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Violator posted:

Hey at least this one had a positive outcome, a lot better than the “exploding batteries are fine” triple down from a few weeks ago.

Edit: Eh, that may have been the Watch thread.
All you gotta do is super glue the screen back down so the expanding battery can’t pop the screen off again when you give it away to a friend!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

What page is this on
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3840039&pagenumber=98&perpage=40#post504735163

quote:

So I have a weird rear end question.

I have a series 1 aluminum Apple Watch that got the swollen battery issue. Of course, Apple wouldn't repair it, god forbid. I have a series 5 SS now, but I want to give this watch to a friend.

Well I reglued it with Gorilla Glue, and it seems stable but the watch computer itself seems super hosed up. I got the red/green snake of death, and now when I click the wheel, it makes what sounds like morse code (little beeps) and then says something insanely weird in mandarin. Is my old watch hosed?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah auto-rotation is probably a preferred option. The groan when they realize it’s their turn to do the dishwasher is oddly satisfying.

e: My kids are older, so none of the ones that accumulate points to earn stuff are appealing.
You might be able to whip something up in Numbers if you're handy with spreadsheet formulas :v:

(Big might but I think it's possible...now whether you actually want to attempt that :shrug:)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

Anyone else use nPlayer here? For some reason, it just can’t see my Chromecast any more no matter what I do, despite other apps being able to see and stream to it.
Wild guess but did it start with iOS 14? There’s a new permissions dialog for apps about scanning the network so if you disabled that it would explain it. It’s in the Settings app under Privacy > Local Network (or directly under Settings > nPlayer).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

Only seemed to start happening as of today, last time it worked was on Friday but I can’t remember if a new 14.2 public beta had come out since then.
Actually it happened to me too after I posted that. I updated to 14.1 late but pretty sure I've still been using nPlayer since then. That privacy switch was (or at least seemed to be) the culprit for me. There's another one for Bluetooth permission iirc in case the Chromecast needs that too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Better get a Cuddl Dud to keep yourself warm when you go up to Boreal.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

obi_ant posted:

I forgot the reason, but there was something that LastPass did that did not sit well with me. I used them for 3-4 years with whatever their life-time purchase was and switched over to 1Password.

Edit: 1Password used to have a life-time payment thing, but I think they removed it.
There was a breach a while back: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LastPass#2015_security_breach

Also latter "incidents" on there based on the extension, not sure whether those types of vulnerabilities were entirely specific to theirs though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jazz Marimba posted:

double post two days apart lol

any good iOS alternatives to the android INKredible app?
Partially depends if you mean for iPhone or iPad use, particularly cause the latter has the Pencil as an option.

Hard part is there's so many drat note taking apps, off the top of my head Notability and Good Notes(?) have been around for a while. Concepts is another one I've heard about but it looks more aimed at a more visual or nonlinear style of note taking.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

Do any iOS browsers support tab groups yet? I've seen conflicting things about Chrome doing so but I'm trying to move away from Google services/software and I didn't see it in the chrome://flags page like some people asserted anyway.
Safari on iPad supports multiple instances (or “windows”) but not sure that’d work for what you’re looking for, and even if it does it wouldn’t work for iPhone use.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Neurophonic posted:

It’s not exactly the same, but there’s functionality for bookmarking all open tabs built into Safari as of iOS 13 https://osxdaily.com/2020/01/17/bookmark-all-open-tabs-safari-iphone-ipad/
I just noticed that the other day but wondering does it just dump everything directly into whatever location you pick or into its own new folder?

Semi related, you can arrange tabs by name or site if you hold down on a tab (have to be in landscape view on iPhones to see the tabs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lazyhound posted:

It is kind of funny that PiP is a paid feature for the YouTube app when it works just fine in Safari.
Works on iPad but blocked on the phone, just pops back out of PiP immediately. There's shortcuts to get around that at least, but wouldn't work for the rest of the feature requests.