Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Super Dude posted:

I think you need to use that family feature where you all share the same credit card for purchases (including apps, music, etc.).
Ah, makes sense. You'd really need to trust your friends not to be utter shitters then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Since Apple Music will upload songs from your library that aren't matched, would it work effectively as a replacement for iTunes Match? The Apple Music help page says that Match and Music are independent but complimentary and will work together.

edit: I'm not huge into picking up lots of new music, but if the whole international iTunes library (I know there's some exceptions like The Beatles) is on there, I'd be very tempted to just fork out the monthly fee (please Apple do a real UK price conversion rate, not just $1=£1, the price is £6.47!) and listen to weird Finnish rock or Japanese hip-hop or whatever. I guess I'll find out whenever the 3-month free trial shows up. Shame it seems to require iTunes and doesn't just play through a web-browser as that'd make life a lot easier for listening to stuff in work or at a friend's place for a party.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 10, 2015

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
If they are trying to make Match and Music compliment each other, I'm worried that Music's storage is going to take up the already sorta limited iCloud space. Fingers crossed it is essentially a full-on replacement for Match!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yup, there'll be offline listening.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

pumpinglemma posted:

Are there any translation apps out there for iPad that will handle offline translation to and from Japanese? I've just wasted far too much time looking for one and I'm starting to think offline translation just isn't possible on iOS. (The main recommendation out there seems to be Jibbigo/Lonely Planet, which has been discontinued as far as I can tell. Google Translate only does offline translation on Android because gently caress you.)
If you're looking for an English<->Japanese dictionary then Imiwa is probably the single best dictionary app I have ever used. If it needs to translate full sentences with grammar etc then sorry, no idea. If you find one, please do share!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Are there any viable iOS apps for managing risk mitigation plans for personal issues? I guess it's sort of like a to-do list but it's all laid out in discrete actionable steps to address known risks in a given system (RE: MY LIFE) and incrementally reduce the likelihood and consequence of that risk. Right now I'm using excel which is fine on my laptop and desktop but is terrible on my phone.

I don't know if any of this makes sense. I'm learning Risk/Issues/Opportunities management at work right now and I'm trying to see if it's something I can apply to my personal life to fix various identified behavioral issues I have. I want to become a robot man.
I'm not sure I fully understand, but do you basically mean like a checklist of things to do in a certain situation? I can't recommend a specific one, but I know that the default Notes app is going to feature checklist support in iOS 9 when it launches, and that Numbers (Apple's Excel equivalent) has some kind of checklist functionality.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Endless Mike posted:

So could LastPass users. It's pretty unlikely they'll just completely disappear without warning.
But it would be a quicker fix. With 1P, you'd pretty much just need to go to settings and replace the "Dropbox" checkmark with "iCloud" or whatever. LastPass would be a bit more awkward. Although if both are going to last in perpetuity, it'd be cheaper in the long-run to make the one-off purchase.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I paid up-front for the iOS app (which then went free like a WEEK later). The Windows app seems to work just fine without paying, it just shows a little nagging screen on launch but then is pretty functional after that. The unpaid one only lets you add so many passwords, but if you add them via the iOS app then you can keep adding as many as you like. I think my one-time iOS fee was $5 or something like that?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Using Crystal myself since it was free but I only browse the net occasionally on my phone so can't really remember if I see a big difference or not yet. Gonna wait and see what the de-facto podcast app weather widget password manager content blocker is before putting money down.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Josh Lyman posted:

Motherfuck, this is what I get for waiting for kinks to get ironed out.
That's why if something is free you might want in future, download it anyway then delete it. It'll stay activated on your Apple ID so you can re-download it at any time.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

xzzy posted:

You probably should have calmed down the instant the letters "verge" appeared in your url bar because it's a near certainty that any story under that umbrella has some glaring factual error in it.
I didn't read The Verge much but I always used to assume for some reason that they were pretty spot on and reliable. Now that I've read some of their articles re: iOS ad blockers, I guess I can strike them off my list of trusted websites whose opinions I can give a poo poo about.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm pretty curious to see how people find the sensitivity in 3D Touch, like are they accidentally triggering it when they don't want to and vice versa.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

wooger posted:

It does need to add a Safari extension to "open with blocking off", ala Peace, but it works well. I also have crystal
If you long-press the refresh button in Safari you can reload the page with content blockers disabled.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Well it doesn't actually block ads, so there's that. Out of 30 sample european pages, crystal successfully blocked the ads on 3. Blockr is currently 25 for 25.
Most of the sites I regular (SA, Twitter, FB) have apps so I can't speak for too many sites, but I can't recall seeing any ads in Safari since installing Crystal. Did a comparison with a few articles on The Guardian doing the long-press reload > show without content blocker thing and it definitely seems to be hiding mid-article adverts on that site at least.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Zero000 posted:

Recently switched over to iOS from android, any keyboards I should know about? I feel that Swype on iOS isn't as good as the android version and I was wondering if there are other alternatives. I need to be able to draw my words out on the keyboard
TouchPal I find to be pretty good because of the easy access to punctuation. My only gripe is that they don't have a UK English dictionary yet, just US English and over a foreign languages. Once it has UK English and Japanese support I'll be over the moon.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Maneki Neko posted:

So what's the goto podcast client these days? I'd like something with PC support (web client would be fine, but I don't have a Mac), which seems to limit me to Overcast or Pocket Casts, correct?
Having used both Overcast and Pocket Casts quite a lot, they're both really awesome and you should be happy with either.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

wattershed posted:

Lists. Being able to group the people you follow into lists, then view a version of your timeline that's just, say, sports-related tweets, or current events, or breweries, etc.

I'll kinda piggyback on this comment though and ask what Tweetbot does that Twitterrific does not do, or does not do as well? Given how great Twitterrific has been for me since switching over to an iphone a year ago, I'm actually surprised there's another client out there people seem to be fawning over even more.
It's a bit out of the way, but if you go to the Me tab, then the settings cog, you can get to your Lists from there in the official app.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

ShoogaSlim posted:

I bought Tweetbot 3 while I was drunk one night so I started using it since I paid for it. I like night mode and some of the options to see who has tweeted at a particular user, but there isn't much else that makes it more worthwhile than the official Twitter app.

You can't view who has favorited someone else's tweet without being redirected to whatever the gently caress Favstar is, it doesn't reliably search for usernames when you're @-mentioning them in the compose screen. Etc etc etc tl;dr not buying Tweetbot 4
I went through a similar thing when Twitterific was free some weekend a few years back. They third party Twitter apps are good, but unless you're a power user, the official app is perfectly fine for just checking your feed/lists and tweeting about how my poopin' is going.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

wooger posted:

Except NES and SNES both still exist and continue to function. And I can acquire games I didn't own in the 90's.

No way to use older ios versions.
Except for buying an older iPhone, much like buying a SNES is buying an older system than a Wii U. If any games really matter, iOS emulation will probably become a thing much like SNES emulation on PC.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
edit: ^^^ Same, I don't feel bad at all for the upgrade fee I paid about a year or so ago. Even if I wasn't using the features (though I totally am) it's nice to support developers.

Hopefully part of the fixes is for it to be much more reliable at remembering when I re-order a bunch of unplayed podcasts.
edit2: "Moved to a new database layer that fixed tons of bugs, including some remaining sync bugs and the infamous playlist-reordering bug (sorry!)" <-- hurrah!

I tried this about a year ago and couldn't do it, but if you have the app installed on both iPhone and iPad, is it possible to have one device download all unplayed episodes and the other download nothing and only ever stream? Settings seem to be synced between the two and so I could only have either both devices downloading or both streaming.

"A complete overhaul of the show-artwork architecture" <-- fingers crossed this means that episodes that have separate artwork for each episode will be displayed correctly rather than just the same image each time!

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 9, 2015

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Unacknowledged posted:

I think the everlasting Overcast / Downcast discussion pushed this down. Anyone else have this problem?
Yeah mine would often just jump back a few minutes or to the start of the chapter. I just tried to make an effort to only ever stop listening once I finished a chapter, which was annoying. Plus, isn't the little dot by the chapter name supposed to be your last finished or currently-on chapter? That would never update for me.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
One specific podcast I listen to, The Brendon Burns Show, for the last two episodes has been unable to play after downloading. It just jumps straight back to the "all episodes" screen. Other podcasts seem to work fine, and streaming the broken episodes through the web player seem to work, but I just can't seem to get it going through the downloaded file on the app. I've tried deleting the episodes, unsubscribing and resubscribing from the podcast, rebooting. Etc.

Anyone else had this?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
^^^ in your podcast list, you should see an Unplayed/All/Settings tab. Go to "All"

CaptainPsyko posted:

Do the episodes work in a different podcast app?
They work fine in Downcast, weird.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Kins posted:

I listen to podcasts both on my phone and on my computer because I'm a horrible monster. Do any of these recommended Podcasts.app replacements sync up well with my iTunes podcast subscriptions/progress, or should I stick with the defaults?
If you want to sync with iTunes then it has to be the official podcasts app. I used to do the same but then found myself not really having to change my lifestyle too much to just listen to the podcast through my phone while at my PC.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

wooger posted:

I want to auto-download all new episodes of some podcasts that I really care about, but for all the rest, I want them set to stream only, as I only listen occasionally.
If you have a podcast subscribed in your list, you can go to it, then Settings (like my last screenshot) then uncheck the "Subscribe to All New Episodes" option.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

No Pants posted:

There are internet dominatrixes who will do weird poo poo to your computer remotely for money.
It gets me so hard when my mistress deletes my Hosts file and flushes my DNS cache. Sometimes she'll even re-arrange the icons in my taskbar.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Devil Tesla posted:

My goddess has all my personal info and could blackmail me to my wife at any time, and access to my bank account where she only lets me spend when she wants me to. All of you making fun of this, you are just not enough of a man to submit to true feminine power.
Paging Cabbagepots to this thread so his Gigamaidens can show us true feminine power.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

tankadillo posted:

Are there any go-to dictation solutions on the iPhone? I like Siri for basic stuff but I want to record longer notes/conversations and store them as text. Part of my concern with Siri is my data and battery usage, so I would prefer an app that can save the audio until I can connect to wifi later.
Every dictation software I've ever tried has trouble with my accent so I never use them, but I remember Dragon Dictation used to be the biggest recommendation. It's entirely offline too if I remember right.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Bird Law posted:

I'm using a 5th Gen iPod Touch iOS 9 in a Batman Gauntlet for my Halloween costume this year. I've got a video of a screensaver to simulate the computer he's got on his wrist.

Are there any video playing apps that can loop the video and keep the screen in landscape?

I've found some workarounds with stock iOS: use iTunes to mark the video as a music video, then I get a loop option, but sometimes the screen flashes white between looping which is annoying. For locking to Landscape there's an option in Assistive Touch that does that but leaves the Assistive button there all the time and is an annoying workaround.

I've even jailbroken it, but the Cydia apps/tweaks that promise to do these things aren't working, maybe they don't support iPods...no idea.
The iPad version of VLC has both video looping and landscape lock options - I would assume the iPhone version has the same. I think the screen might flash black for a split second before looping again, though - but that's less annoying than flashing white at least.

edit: Also you should totally upload a picture here of how it looks in the costume, I love seeing old iPhones/iPods re-purposed for cool costume things.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 30, 2015

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Apparently Quick Reply only works with your passcode turned off?!??

What the hell kinda poo poo is that. Who doesn't use a passcode.
It does kinda make sense, otherwise people will be able to send replies from your device pretending it's from you. Does it ask you for Touch ID authentication or anything?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

Content: do I need to let dark sky run in the background for it to do its thing?
If you want it to be able to notify you of upcoming rain in your area without having to open the app, yeah.

Also if anyone knows, does turning on the barometer reporting drain the battery much? I'd love to be able to send back data if it genuinely will improve the already-drat-good hyperlocal reports, but not if it'll kill my battery or data usage. Similarly, is that kind of reporting more or less useless when you're indoors? I know nothing about weather other than rain being kinda wet.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

dik-dik posted:

Oh god outlook's focus inbox thing caused me to almost miss an important email. I might just switch back to the default client.

E: is there a reminders app that only shows me reminders due today? I keep accidentally checking repeating future events as done in the stock one.
In the Scheduled view in the stock app there's a separator between days and you can still mark things done in that view, if that's helpful at all.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
"Desired wake up time" might be a bad way to put it, I think "Latest wake up time" would be better, since that's the very last straw and no matter how bad you might feel, you gotta get up and get ready for work.

I tried it the other night and it was pretty wrong in thinking I was in a deep sleep at just before 6am, when I specifically remember waking up and glancing at a clock to see what time it was. Though as it says in the app, it'll take time to calibrate so I'm gonna try it out for a while. Just a shame that it apparently needs to be laid flat on a table, meaning my nice phone dock can't be used for a while.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Seems like Readdle's PDF Expert is the free app of the week right now. It's usually :10bux: and if it lives up to the quality of Documents then it should be a fantastic PDF annotation tool.

https://appsto.re/gb/nGcwS.i

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

xzzy posted:

Anyone know of a decent app to stream a youtube playlist? A quick search yields a whole pile of results but a lot of them look pretty sketchy.
The... YouTube app?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh I didn't know this.

Totally unrelated but I'm trying to organize my life a bit better and use Calendars and Reminders more. Is there a good write up of "best practices" or how to use them more effectively? Like okay I understand what calendar events are, what reminders are. But say tomorrow on Monday I need to go visit my apartment's property manager at 10am. Is this an event or a reminder?
For me, if it's something that requires setting aside a block of time for (e.g. "Drinks with so-and-so") then I put it in my calendar. If it's just something I should get done with no specific time allocation (e.g. "Lift some weights you fat gently caress") then I set a reminder.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Legs Benedict posted:

You are thinking of Crystal, I believe
That was the big scandal whenever Crystal was sold to or partnered with or whatever that ad network. I haven't gotten around to switching, but I also haven't seen any change in how many ads are blocked (all of them) on sites I visit since the news.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

cryptoclastic posted:

I've been using Memrise to study vocab. Every time I open the app, it dims my music like I'm getting a notification and keeps it dimmed while the app is open. Is there a way to disable this? I can't find a thing in the app settings. Has anyone else experienced this with other apps and found a workaround?
This is a thing specific to Memrise and I haven't been able to find a way to disable it either, even by disabling all audio in the app's settings itself. The only way to get full volume back is to pause and unpause your music via your headphones - haven't tried it through Control Centre, I know a lot of games that would mute audio would re-mute it once focus returns to the app but the headphone trick always works.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm pretty sure TeamViewer works fine with all of that stuff. I haven't had any issues with it at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is Teamviewer just a remote desktop program or am I missing something? I meant just remote keyboard/mouse, like remotemouse or Intel's app, for the purpose of sofa PC use. Either way I just tried ctrl+alt+del on that and it didn't work anyway. I figured it was an inherent limitation of Windows that it only allows an actual keyboard to do stuff like that.

edit: Remotemouse's faq claims that I just need to turn off UAC, but it seems that the mouse and keyboard get disabled for programs that need administrator permission even if it isn't asking me.
Whoops, totally misunderstood! Yeah it's just a remote-desktop thing.