Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is it possible in Shortcuts to set either a timer or alarm at a set time but force it to only vibrate and not play an alarm noise? I can’t see anything in the “create an alarm” command to specify the alarm tone or lack thereof.

If I manually set an alarm I can have no noise (and I assume it’ll vibrate) but in timer there’s no such option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Snowy posted:

No idea about shortcuts but I like the app QuietAlert for vibrate timers
Thanks for the recommendation! It seems alright although I wish it would just keep vibrating until dismissed. Plus since it’s an app I’d be worried about it falling out of iOS’s active apps list if I’ve used a bunch of other apps in the meantime and missing the alarm, plus if you did miss the vibration it doesn’t leave a notification on the Lock Screen.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Ohhh that’s totally not how I thought that would work. Thanks!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

mawarannahr posted:

Did this little button exist before? It looks helpful

It’s new in iOS 17. It acts as a swipe bar so you can swipe between tabs using it the same way you can swipe between apps using the little bar at the bottom of the screen.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
On the subject of the News app, is it possible to force it to update the lock screen widget more often? I have it set mostly just to glance at a headline on a topic now and again but never really to read any articles, so refreshing something like every half hour would be better for me than however long it's currently set for.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Jeherrin posted:

Apple Home question: I have a smart thermostat (Netatmo). It has an 'away from home' option, but I have to remember to trigger that. I know when you create a Focus, you can essentially geofence it (I used to use it to change my lock-screen when I was a certain distance from my house, for example).

Is there a way to do this with the Home app? It has location-based automations but only arriving and leaving home — but I travel a lot and I'd like it to be able to kick on the heating when I'm (say) within 20 miles from my house, and conversely turn it off when I'm outside that area. If I leave for five days, I don't want to be heating my house like I'm there.
I don't have any HomeKit stuff, but an automation in Shortcuts can be set to "when I arrive" at a location and you can drag the radius out hella far. As a test I dragged it out to 600km and it seems like it would just let me keep going. From there you can most likely tell it to run a HomeKit action. You'd need two separate automations for what you need, one for when you arrive within 20 miles and another for when you leave the 20 mile radius.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

xzzy posted:

Not a clue, I ignore anything algorithm driven and build my playlists like it's 2000 and my mp3 player tells me it really whips the llama's rear end.
Same. I know the difference between songs I merely like and the absolute bangers, and being able to make a smart playlist of just the five star bangers from specific bands is too useful a feature to drop, since there’s no nuance in how much you can Love / Thumbs Up a song.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’ve found BitWarden to be simple enough if you’re just storing passwords and don’t need anything like other data types or images.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Are gmail still blocking push notifications for everything outside their official app?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
What’s the best app these days for smart-removing of objects in photos? Snapseed can still do it but I get the feeling other apps could do a more convincing job of it these days. Non-destructive with a revert option on the original photos would be great if that’s possible.

Free is great obviously but happy to pay for a good app if it’s not subscription based.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Tupac shot Cobain posted:

If I need to remove an object to place into a new photo I've been finding the built in long press on the object in Photos and then "sharing" to a new photo has worked fairly well for me. Bonus is that you can make stickers from the stuff you're "removing".

This article shows how to do it but to make a new photo from the object just use the Share command.
That's not quite what I'm after. It's more like the "content aware fill" from Photoshop for e.g. removing a person from the background of a photo that I need.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
PS Express needs a pro sub for the heal tool that isn’t awful and TouchRetouch seems to be subscription based now :(

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Neurophonic posted:

Photomator is a one time buy and has a magic eraser type tool.
It seems like I had that downloaded a long time ago, but they’ve also gone subscription. I’ll re-download anyway when I’m on WiFi to see if maybe it’s part of the free tools!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
And with the magic of iOS 17 we can finally set multiple timers at once!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
YouTube music is so bad it’s hard to understand how they ended up there. Like, why on earth do I want my music listen history to be tied to the same algorithm as my normal account, meaning that if I spend a day listening to music then back in my main app feed it will all just be music suggestions and if I make music playlists, they’ll clutter up my list of video playlists.

And also it’s way of auto determining which YT videos are actually music, meaning I got suggested “Halo theme song performed by 80 guys in 1 bathroom”

I was hoping that YT premium on VPN pricing might be an affordable replacement for Apple Music but it’s real confusing.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Corb3t posted:

I'm one of those weirdos who streams music across way too many apps, and yeah, couldn't really find a reason to use YouTube Music vs Apple Music, Spotify, and Soundcloud unless you downright refuse to pay for the other services because you already have YouTube Premium.
I do refuse to pay for other services and even in a free trial of Premium I just can’t bring myself to use YouTube Music.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
That’s the plan once my trial expires.

Can you “definitely live in Hungary” for a family plan too? I’ve heard it doesn’t work as smoothly if you wanna do that.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

kri kri posted:

My ukranian family YT plan works just fine
Nice. I heard some reports about family accounts forcing stricter location checks or something but if I can get it without needing to use dummy accounts or anything like that then that’s perfect.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

kri kri posted:

Nah I did nothing special, I think I did read though people joining the family plan after subbing might have an issue? My family was in place, I signed into a vpn in Ukraine and subbed using a privacy.com card.
Ah yeah I think it might've been having to sign up for a local virtual card that might've been the awkward bit for some people. Did you have to have a full on subscription before to set up the Family stuff? This is just so I can share it with my partner and friends so we don't have parent/child accounts or anything like that set up.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

One of the killer features (for me) of the native Photos app is the ability to find photos by location- especially because there are events that I remember where they were but I don't always remember the exact date. But sometimes I want to find a photo at a location that I've taken a ton of pics (such as my house) but I end up having to scroll like hell to get to a particular date and I have to start from 13 years ago. Is there a way to do a search by location AND date? It would save me a crapload of time tap-scrolling on my phone.
In the search field, after you search for a location and tap the drop down for the place name, you can just keep typing to add new terms such as a month or a year.
e.g. so it ends up like [Ireland] [January] [2014]

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Dang, thank you!

edit: like, REALLY, thank you. My father has alzheimer's and I occasionally want to show him photos of certain events and times, and this will make things a lot easier.
Glad that I was able to help with something actually important! I just use it to look at all the places my dog has been.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So turns out I’ve been recording videos at way too high a quality and my iCloud storage is basically full. The tier up after 200GB is the overkill 2TB tier which is a jump from £2.99 to £8.99 a month!

Anyway, two questions I guess:
1) is there a good app for viewing my photo library sorted by file size so I can see the biggest offenders to mark for deletion?
2) I could probably just compress most of these videos to a lower bit rate and be fine. There’s apps for doing this, but do any of them retain all the time/location data from the original videos so I don’t lose out on any of that stuff? Bonus points if it adds the compressed version back into any albums the original featured in!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

nitsuga posted:

Photos should do the trick. It’s where all your photos and videos are stored generally too. It can also trim your videos, which is probably a better approach than trying to re-encode your collection. If you’re set on that though exporting at a lower resolution and reimporting is an option. Generally though I’d think having shorter and fewer videos will save you more time and space.
I don’t see a way in Photos to sort by file size, though. I can go into each video and see what the size it but doing it one at a time would take forever.

Trimming stuff wouldn’t be ideal since it would again need me to go in one by one to save a few seconds here and there, plus I want the full 59 seconds of my dog trying not to fall asleep, but the video doesn’t need to be 590MB for that.

Unfortunately even the inbuilt video re-encoder using Shortcuts strips all the date and location metadata. :(

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Froist posted:

If you’ve already hit the 200gb threshold, shrinking some videos to drop below it again is only delaying the inevitable. Embrace the 2tb tier.

I say that as someone where iCloud and Prime are the only 2 subscriptions I pay for. The photo library just isn’t worth compromising on.
I’m just really put off by the huge leap between the two storage options with no middle ground. Feels skeevy in terms of pricing.

Cyrano4747 posted:

You can do it in the Windows icloud client. It just presents as a standard window, so you've got all the regular sort options.

Now, I'm not 100% sure if changes you make directly there translate to blasting it from the cloud storage in general. I'd need to do some testing, I could see it going either way.

At the very least it's a good way to identify oddly large files. I, for example, apparently have a 1.1gb video of some bats circling a street light that I do not remember at all.
Oh nice. I think I set up the iCloud we nodes app forever ago so I’ll need to see if it’s there and I can see what the worst offenders are. Then I’ll need to look into video conversion while keeping metadata.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
You could also bring up the multi-tasking app list and scroll all the way to the left.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I used to use RSS readers all the time but these days I kinda just want the stories I might care about to bubble to the top and not have to manually look for them amidst the hundred articles a day places are being forced to spit out for SEO.

Sadly, Apple News is absolute trash when it comes to finding "stories I might care about".

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Do any of the parcel tracking apps let me get update notifications without requiring a subscription? Happy to pay a one off fee but I’m pretty sick of everything being subscription services now.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

TACD posted:

Yeah I absolutely hate subscriptions as a trend but Parcel is £3 per year which is the only reasonably-priced subscription I’ve ever seen
Didn’t realise it was that cheap! I don’t get a lot of parcels these days but that’s tempting at that price. I assumed it was like everything else and ended up over a hundred of pounds every year for something that used to be a fiver one-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

kri kri posted:

Just sign up for YouTube premium using Ukraine vpn.
Last time I tried that it seemed to realise something wasn’t right and it wouldn’t give me the option :(