Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Wow so dark souls 2 was just kind of a bad game. I recently tried to play it again and was reminded about how bad it is. This is a thread for everyone who needs help, love, and support to get over how the best game series of all time was struck down in only its second iteration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive never played a souls game and never will

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
It was fun and I enjoyed my time in dranleic. Now that all the dlc is in I need to finish my naked playthrough.

The 3d castlevanias might be awful but from software has my back.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Denial is the first stage of the grieving process, so I'm glad to see you are on your way to accepting the horrible truth.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

ive never played a souls game and never will

my friend made me play dark souls once and i got really bored with it fast. dragon's dogma is way better

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I got to play a little bit of Bloodborne and it is really good. I hope this helps you on your journey, OP.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Seshoho Cian posted:

I got to play a little bit of Bloodborne and it is really good. I hope this helps you on your journey, OP.

thank you, yes this is the kind of support I think we need in this thread. semper games.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
it's the only souls game I've actually beaten - mostly b/c the multiplayer actually works, so you can practice helping other people beat bosses a few times before you do it yourself.

I thought it was funny that after everybody (even people who really liked the first one) complained about how lazy and rushed the first one was after the halfway point, they proceeded to do the exact same thing and have the game poo poo the bed after the spooky Castlevania castle.

Soral
May 30, 2009

hello all. i played dark souls 2 to new game+++, and then i played the game again at soul level 1. welp, cya

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

agree with you op. my feels are yours.

worst game in souls series.

dude that did the youtube review of bioshock infinite where his first complain is no n-word was somehow very on point about ds2 being poo poo for an entire 40 minutes.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

i liked demons souls a lot. i beat dark souls but didnt care for it that much. i'm waiting for dark souls 2 to go on sale.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
it was good

Popular Human posted:

I thought it was funny that after everybody (even people who really liked the first one) complained about how lazy and rushed the first one was after the halfway point, they proceeded to do the exact same thing and have the game poo poo the bed after the spooky Castlevania castle.

Drangleic Castle comes way later in the game than Anor Londo did in DS1 and serves an entirely different purpose than AL did too

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
same but dark souls 1 also, op

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Heavy Lobster posted:

it was good

Drangleic Castle comes way later in the game than Anor Londo did in DS1 and serves an entirely different purpose than AL did too

bad level design how to guide?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

had more fun in ds2 than ds1 although i enjoyed them both, sorry op

ambient robot
Apr 23, 2014

by Lowtax
dark souls 2 is the worst demons souls since dark souls

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

agree with you op. my feels are yours.

worst game in souls series.

dude that did the youtube review of bioshock infinite where his first complain is no n-word was somehow very on point about ds2 being poo poo for an entire 40 minutes.

Is this the guy you're talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI ? Cause lol at 50 minute long youtube videos about how bad a video game is but like he is legit right for all 50 minutes and he hits the nail on the head.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

Is this the guy you're talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI ? Cause lol at 50 minute long youtube videos about how bad a video game is but like he is legit right for all 50 minutes and he hits the nail on the head.

yeah that's what i mean. i was hoping for another video where he says something completely insane right off the bat but then he lays the truth

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Like remember that shortcut in huntsmans copse where you push the tree trunk over that connects the 1st and 2nd bonfire areas? Why is it there? What point does it serve? You can just warp to any bonfire so why do you need a shortcut. Or if you leave the shortcut in, why not just have only 1 bonfire since they're right next to each other. Like it's so stupid to be nitpicking about that I realize but also so senseless and pointless as to why it exists in the first place.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

Like remember that shortcut in huntsmans copse where you push the tree trunk over that connects the 1st and 2nd bonfire areas? Why is it there? What point does it serve? You can just warp to any bonfire so why do you need a shortcut. Or if you leave the shortcut in, why not just have only 1 bonfire since they're right next to each other. Like it's so stupid to be nitpicking about that I realize but also so senseless and pointless as to why it exists in the first place.

There's a lot of small, stupid design decisions like that - like the run to Velstadt being just a long, featureless hallway full of enemies instead of an actual area. They're not huge deals in and of themselves, but they start to add up really fast in the second half of the game to the point that everything just feels sort of half-assed.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
It was the same thing to get to the dragon boss, just a giant staircase filled with enemies wielding 2 ton hammers that never need to stop swinging their 2 ton hammers. Also then the dragon one shots you if you dont run around perfectly fighting it for 10 minutes.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

It was the same thing to get to the dragon boss, just a giant staircase filled with enemies wielding 2 ton hammers that never need to stop swinging their 2 ton hammers. Also then the dragon one shots you if you dont run around perfectly fighting it for 10 minutes.

lmao you fought the dragon

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Heavy Lobster posted:

lmao you fought the dragon

lol not a chance, I never killed that thing I tried one time and said gently caress it

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

"man why did they have to make this entirely optional boss thats meant to be nigh unbeatable so tough :qq:"

Dec 26, 2012

dark souls 2 had better moment to moment combat but was strangely unfinished in places. i dont think being able to teleport to every bonfire from the word go actually added anything to the game. it was still pretty good. peace

Dec 26, 2012

Tekopo posted:

"man why did they have to make this entirely optional boss thats meant to be nigh unbeatable so tough :qq:"

i beat it once, and i probably wont do it again, its really just not a very fun boss and the leadup to it sucks poo poo through a hose

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the problem wasn't that it was tough, the problem was that it wasn't fun. if you think fighting your way up to the dragon only to get 1 shotted by it everytime is fun then more power to you, I have a great game for you called dark souls 2

Edit: beaten by the dragon slayer above me

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

the problem wasn't that it was tough, the problem was that it wasn't fun. if you think fighting your way up to the dragon only to get 1 shotted by it everytime is fun then more power to you, I have a great game for you called dark souls 2

Edit: beaten by the dragon slayer above me
then dont do stuff that isnt fun? like, this isnt a critical boss that you have to kill in order to advance/beat the game, unless you are some kind of completionist idiot

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Tekopo posted:

then dont do stuff that isnt fun? like, this isnt a critical boss that you have to kill in order to advance/beat the game, unless you are some kind of completionist idiot

I didn't do it. My problem is that it's not fun, so I didn't do it. That's actually my big problem with the whole game is that it's not fun, so I stopped playing it.

Dec 26, 2012

a better example of an optional boss is darklurker because darklurker owns, as does that whole covenant

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

I didn't do it. My problem is that it's not fun, so I didn't do it. That's actually my big problem with the whole game is that it's not fun, so I stopped playing it.
have you tried: getting good?

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
as a video game playing goon, it is my right by birth to remain bad, or, not good, as it were

Dec 26, 2012

if you are the former, and refuse to be the latter, then maybe this series is not for you

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I'm actually really good at Dark Souls 2. In fact, I was able to beat the whole game without using the torch one time!

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER
its bad

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER
ppl who defend dark souls 2 say the gameplay is better like souls games are just a series of combat encounters. as if the way you explore the world etc arent part of the gameplay. theres so much interesting stuff going on in dark souls all the time and dark souls 2 has none of that. and the combat and boss design is bad anyway

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Mr. Kerstbal posted:

ppl who defend dark souls 2 say the gameplay is better like souls games are just a series of combat encounters.
Please don't shame the idiot fuckers who do dedicated PVP.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I had fun with dark souls 2 but it was definitely the weakest entry in the series and thy reused a ton of stuff from dark souls just not any of the good stuff. Also the dlc has loving sucked so far

Dec 26, 2012

ive only done the first dlc and the first boss of the second and theyre 50/50 so far

i heard theres literally a smelter demon recolor later which is pretty lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

It's insanely cool that Souls fans, such as Tekopo, are still incredibly bad.

• Locked thread