Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Seriously tho the last boss of the first dlc was kalameet, except they took out the poo poo that made kalameet fun and exhilarating. Then the last boss of dlc 2 was basically artorias but you couldn't shield tank through all of his combos which was almost cool but it was still a rehashed battle. The "multiplayer" boss of dlc 2 was literally just a boss from the original game they copied and pasted (smelter demon). Im not going to bother buying the last one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the moment that sold me on dark souls was quelaag. You just get through blight town and you're terrified but kind of high off beating such a hard area and then boom naked lady with flame spider body. I died to her like a dozen times at first but thought the boss was so well designed I wanted to learn what the deal was. 2 never had a moment like that where I just wanted to know the backstory for a boss or character. To make matters worse they just threw in half scoprion lady boss so they can be like "remember? remember???? just like the first one right!" and it just feels so hollow and bland.

Dec 26, 2012

Benny D posted:

Seriously tho the last boss of the first dlc was kalameet, except they took out the poo poo that made kalameet fun and exhilarating. Then the last boss of dlc 2 was basically artorias but you couldn't shield tank through all of his combos which was almost cool but it was still a rehashed battle. The "multiplayer" boss of dlc 2 was literally just a boss from the original game they copied and pasted (smelter demon). Im not going to bother buying the last one

its weird because the levels of both were pretty ok and then the bosses seem oddly low effort more often than not

Dec 26, 2012

like i actually enjoyed the caster lady and the flame sword guy but lol @ the caster lady summoning yellow recolors of skeletons and of all things velstadt

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

01011001 posted:

its weird because the levels of both were pretty ok and then the bosses seem oddly low effort more often than not

The black phantom invasions in both DLCs were better than all of the bosses they should've done more of that

Dec 26, 2012

Benny D posted:

The black phantom invasions in both DLCs were better than all of the bosses they should've done more of that

most of them ruled, yeah

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Dark Souls 2 is good and I suspect that OP is trying to gently caress with me, personally

Soral
May 30, 2009

the darklurker is an excellent boss, and a much better encounter than many of the encounters in dark souls 1 or demon souls.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
it was way too easy imo

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

In DS2 you can no longer aim firebombs with pinpoint accuracy just by orienting the camera correctly. Like they let you aim spells with the binoculars but not thrown items. 0/10

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Emptyquote this if you owned the poo poo out of the catacombs with nothing but a lovely +5 weapon and 99 firebombs

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I could tell Dark Souls 2 was bad, because Dark Souls 1 was bad.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

Emptyquote this if you owned the poo poo out of the catacombs with nothing but a lovely +5 weapon and 99 firebombs

uhh you can "own the poo poo" out of the entire lovely game by using a big shield and big sword and slowly circle strafing behind enemies

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Fargield posted:

uhh you can "own the poo poo" out of the entire lovely game by using a big shield and big sword and slowly circle strafing behind enemies
Sometimes you have to roll

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I feel like they didn't bother to balance enemy resistances or weapon damage types so you were basically punishing yourself for using anything but blunt weapons until you managed to significantly reinforce a piercing or slashing weapon. The early game in particular is SO tedious to play with anything but the club or mace--every encounter takes longer without managing to be more interesting or even challenging.

I didn't bother with the DLC.

Also the music is pretty poo poo.

Dec 26, 2012

not emptyquoting, because i didnt use firebombs :whatup:

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I call em the Splattercombs because I crit my pants every time.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Buck Turgidson posted:

Also the music is pretty poo poo.
What are you talking about it's fantastic *gets summoned against Super Throne Bros* *entire brass section of an orchestra farts into their instruments for a solid 45 seconds*

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
dark souls 2 was really fun and good

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

What are you talking about it's fantastic *gets summoned against Super Throne Bros* *entire brass section of an orchestra farts into their instruments for a solid 45 seconds*

Don't forget the vocals going WOAOOOOAOAAAWWOWOOOOOOOAAAAAHAHWWOOOOOAAH

Dec 26, 2012

i dont remember any music from dark souls 2 except the one they played when youre in the king's room and that was only because it was such a blisteringly obvious attempt to rehash gwyn lord of cinder

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Dark Souls II is a good game, but is disappointing when compared to Dark Souls or Demon's Souls. There are also a bunch of questionable design decisions like bonfire ascetics and the PVP arenas that would greatly improve the game if removed/never attempted.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Dark Souls 2 was fun, but some poo poo was stupid as hell. The level design, while never as lovely as the worst areas in Dark Souls 1 (Lost Izalith, Crystal Cavern, etc.), never got quite as good as the best parts until the DLC. A lot of the bosses were pretty easy and simplistic, and very few really had a sense of awe to them. A lot of the bosses in the first Dark Souls were loving huge or imposing as hell, but stuff like Dragonrider, Prowling Magus & the Congregation, Royal Rat Vanguard, and Covetous Demon just feel like minibosses and encounters that got health bars for the sake of adding a bullet point to the back of the cover that says "FEATURING MORE BOSSES THAN THE FIRST!" PVP is pretty good, although soul memory and a limited supply of cracked eye orbs makes it very hard to get into a fight with anyone outside of specific areas like the arenas, belfries, and rat lairs.

Still I had fun, and that's more than I can say for a lot of stuff that I've tried nowadays.

Also, what was with the despawning enemies? Couldn't they compromise and despawn enemies only until I kill the area boss? What if I want to grind for items thanks to the very low drop rates?

Dec 26, 2012

i really dont get the point of prowling magus other than being incredibly easy to get sunlight medals at

Dec 26, 2012

honestly if all pvp was closer to belfry luna id be down with that. optional area that gates off a boss + if you beat the boss you get a handy thing

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
tried watching vid that op posted ironically and it's actually really accurate so ill prob watch the rest later. he pretty much outlines exactly what I disliked about ds2 when originally i couldnt quite pin it all down aside from "the bosses suck and soul memory blows"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm playing it now it's really good :)

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I bought dark souls 2 and the season pass. I beat the game once and then never played it again, even after all the dlc got released. I am bad with money.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
All the Souls games are pretty good.

Also Ancient Dragon is super easy if you get that ring that prevents "back attacks". Also that ring looks cool cause a legless ghost hangs off your back.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Seriously how many games let you give legless ghosts piggybacks?

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
DS2 is a bad game compared to DS1. got that poo poo on sale and didn't buy any DLC

Dec 26, 2012

yeah i used that ring. it rules

Soral
May 30, 2009

Minrad posted:

tried watching vid that op posted ironically and it's actually really accurate so ill prob watch the rest later. he pretty much outlines exactly what I disliked about ds2 when originally i couldnt quite pin it all down aside from "the bosses suck and soul memory blows"

soul memory was a good idea executed poorly imo. i enjoyed being able to actually interact with other players while doing a SL1 run

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The last boss fight in Dark Souls 2: Kings 3: Revenge of the Ivory King was pretty sick, I gotta admit.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
OP is wrong, dark souls 2 is good

don't like all the chganges, but in general I enjoyed it more than DS1

too bad that the fans are really loud and horrible

don't read any of the Souls threads in Games

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Minrad posted:

You are going to watch a 50 minute video of a nerd being upset about a videogame.

Please think about what you're doing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also the souls games have some of the best terrible dub-step 360 no-scope mlg gaming videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_BzwEaHBlc

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxpwABDCxOU

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

RottenK posted:

don't read any of the threads in Games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

RottenK posted:

You are going to watch a 50 minute video of a nerd being upset about a videogame.

Please think about what you're doing.

still better than playing archeage

• Locked thread