Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

dark souls 2 was, in fact, good. that's all i have to say on the matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case
Easily the weakest of the 3

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Minrad posted:

still better than playing archeage

what does archeage have to do with this

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
That 50 minute video on why dark souls sucks was actually really well spoken and logically presented. All I knew before clicking o that link was the authors primary complaint about Bioshock Infinite lol

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I actually really like MatthewMatosis and all his videos even the Bioshock Infinite one, I don't care if this hurts my Imp Cred because a man, like a gamer, must stand for what is right.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I skimmed through that video and some of his points are valid but the solution to a bunch of them is pretty much "get better at the game"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It was kinda funny how ridiculously beholden to DS1 everything in DS2 was, even the final boss was literally a lingering drop of something much more interesting and memorable from the first game, it's like the game knew it was poo poo and couldn't stop comparing itself to its much smarter and more competent sibling

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
you remember the gargoyles? well we doubled em! same music too and theres a bell youre tryin to ring like in the first one. but its a different bell (maybe?) remember dark souls 1? well this is dark souls *2* so its doubled. double gargoyles.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
i really want to go back to give dark souls a second try but after playing dark souls ii and how well it runs and how active the playerbase is in comparison is kind of a pain

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

remember when deep in the recesses of the earth you uncovered nightmarish fate of the elusive missing figure from history and fought it in an immense, climactic battle to prevent it from causing a cataclysm at a pivotal moment in history? well this is nashandra, she is literally a chunk of gore from when you gibbed that guy, has a vague, incomprehensible motive and goes down against a strong breeze, also she has a skull dress or something. well thanks for buying the game, bye

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

I actually really like MatthewMatosis and all his videos even the Bioshock Infinite one, I don't care if this hurts my Imp Cred because a man, like a gamer, must stand for what is right.

MatthewMatosis's videos are actually really good even if he focuses on weird stuff sometimes

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Yeah Nashandra was one of the weakest bosses in the game so a perfect place for her is at the very end as the last boss that is the final climax of the whole thing.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
So apparently a couple months back they nerfed the lightning spear miracles in a patch by reducing the number of uses. They were supposed to reduce the uses but increase the damage however they accidentally lowered the number of uses and decreased the damage they did and this still hasn't been fixed. That's like the best representation of why I don't like Dark Souls 2 because they basically fixed something that didn't need to be fixed (no one uses those miracles in pvp so why nerf them?), then in the process of fixing it, they broke something else, and then rather than going back and fixing what they broke they just leave it as is because effort.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
What's this, you don't like our half-assed level design? Well gently caress you buddy, buy the DLC.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I died a lot in Dark Souls 1 and kept playing until I beat it because I thought it was a very interesting and fun game that kept surprising me with its level layout and story.

Dark souls 2, not so much.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Most of my time playing Dark Souls 2 was spent thinking, "I could be playing Demon's Souls right now."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That 50 minute video on why dark souls sucks was actually really well spoken and logically presented. All I knew before clicking o that link was the authors primary complaint about Bioshock Infinite lol

Dunno why he led off with the racism thing with the Bioshock Infinite review because the rest of his thoughts on it are great

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.
dark souls 2 was a good game but not at all what i wanted from a souls game.

granted, i didn't even want dark souls 2 but im a souls tryhard.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Fredrik1 posted:

I died a lot in Dark Souls 1 and kept playing until I beat it because I thought it was a very interesting and fun game that kept surprising me with its level layout and story.

Dark souls 2, not so much.

Well of course you didn't die as much in DS2, you had all that DS1 experience under your belt.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Harrow posted:

Dunno why he led off with the racism thing with the Bioshock Infinite review because the rest of his thoughts on it are great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VdNhwb7iuI4&list=UUb_sF2m3-2azOqeNEdMwQPw

Haha he gets right to it by 1:24

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i preordered ds2 and i couldn't get into it and it's in my regret section of steam

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That man is endearingly literal minded, he genuinely seems annoyed the game is failing to portray the horrors of racism through through the absence of lynching and the word friend of the family

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I wonder if Miyazaki ever looks at DS2 and just shakes his head and regrets what they did to his baby or if he just gives no fucks and thinks the 2 are indistinguishable.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I actually think the worst thing is how the community just ate up DS2 and how it still feels like if you have a problem with it then you're not a real fan and need to get gud scrub lol like in the video. I remember prior to release ENB and Vaati and the youtube fans were just hyping the poo poo out of it because they all got to basically write the strategy guide and be the marketing department for From. Just watch this video that Vaati put out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LipJgROv01I This is a dude who had an advanced copy of the game and the first thing he mentions is the new torch and how cool it is and then in the game the torch is loving useless. He talks about any build being viable but poise is useless so tanky builds don't work. The other stuff about pvp and covenants he couldn't have known about at the time but the netcode is poo poo, soul memory was really obnoxious, and several of the covenants were completely broken.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

That man is endearingly literal minded, he genuinely seems annoyed the game is failing to portray the horrors of racism through through the absence of lynching and the word friend of the family

I think what he's getting at is the idea that just depicting something doesn't mean your game is about something, and that Bioshock Infinite's attempts to offend nobody left it as a game that didn't really have anything to say. But, I mean, that's not the loving argument you lead off with, and spending a couple minutes just saying friend of the family over and over isn't going to advance that argument, either.

The rest of the review is spot-the-gently caress-on, but that part's just weird.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
characters dont say friend of the family 0/10

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Doctor Goat posted:

i preordered ds2 and i couldn't get into it and it's in my regret section of steam

you can actually hide games from your library now, it's super convenient.

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.
the addition of torches is firmly in the "improves on dark souls" column for me and that i don't think they used it as much as they should have.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Schnedwob posted:

you can actually hide games from your library now, it's super convenient.

it's there to remind me of my regret, much like borderlands 2, dead island, how to survive, and remember me

fortunately i only paid full price for ds2 but i know someone who preordered remember me at full price and lol

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

i don't think its bad really just not nearly as good as demons or the first dark souls

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

im excited for blodborne tho

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I like the guy's accent in his videos, it reminds me of my dad

I've been playing a ton of DS2 lately and I'm way more into it than I was into DS1 was but I kinda want to go back and play the first one again

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Lost Sinner? More like lost dinner because I threw up after that lame rear end boss fight

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
ds2 had boss reskins, sometimes bad hitboxes, and a terrible matchmaking system

but it was more challenging than DS and DS1 so i give it a pass

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really, really, really wish I could get into Dark Souls 2. I'm itching to play some Souls but I don't have a PS3 anymore so I can't play Demon's, and I don't think I want to play Dark Souls again right now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

whos that geno saber or whatever dude in games that swoops down to tell everybody how bad design choices are actually his favorite part of the game and dark souls games are always the best?

i think his custom title is like "the reason ds threads are bad"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Real hurthling! posted:

whos that geno saber or whatever dude in games that swoops down to tell everybody how bad design choices are actually his favorite part of the game and dark souls games are always the best?

i think his custom title is like "the reason ds threads are bad"
genocyber

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tekopo posted:

genocyber

yeah. he is very defensive of dark souls 2.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
darks ouls two was

alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

It was ok playing Dark Souls 2 but the lore/game world just was lacklustre and the design was often not planned out at all. I thought the DLC would expand the game world and give places from the main game more weight or lore but that was a wasted chance.

Also I'd like to rant about the Iron Passage in Iron King. Why the gently caress did they have that there, with that incredibly lazy gauntlet to run through and that loving rehash of a boss, all for loving nothing? Why weren't the four extra Smelter rods down there? I think that they must have originally planned to do so, but some casul decided it was too difficult in testing, so they just moved it to some completely random bullshit place. What the gently caress.

It's like Bioshock 2. Fine if you want more of what the original had to offer but eventually doesn't leave that great an impression on you.

• Locked thread