Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

01011001 posted:

thats not such a bad thing, it felt like a demon's souls level and im down with that

yeah i'm saying its a good thing, compared to most of the other areas which just felt like little transitional plots with really jarring shifts in aesthetic.

e; the bastille works so well in part because there's a real transition in going there, as with the painted world and anor londo... the headless poison bitch ought to have had a portal or some poo poo in the back of her chamber then i would have been all like 'heck yeah lava land!' instead of 'wtf lava land???'

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

The Protagonist posted:

the headless poison bitch ought to have had a portal or some poo poo in the back of her chamber then i would have been all like 'heck yeah lava land!' instead of 'wtf lava land???'

Or a painting with a scary flame face on it that you jump through while saying "wa-hoo!"

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

dioramas connected with hamster tubes.

yeah

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

The Protagonist posted:

yeah i'm saying its a good thing, compared to most of the other areas which just felt like little transitional plots with really jarring shifts in aesthetic.

e; the bastille works so well in part because there's a real transition in going there, as with the painted world and anor londo... the headless poison bitch ought to have had a portal or some poo poo in the back of her chamber then i would have been all like 'heck yeah lava land!' instead of 'wtf lava land???'

Both DS2 threads in Games would be about 30% shorter, too.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
gently caress you op loving scrublord

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
You go up an elevator to the top of a volcano.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

dark souls 2 should have said "this is another souls game." on the back of the box. and maybe some checkboxes that say it has areas, and enemies, and items, and bosses.

Dec 26, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

yeah the whole lead up to the iron keep makes no sense and I have no idea how all that poo poo is supposed to fit together

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Dark souls 2 does do some stuff right. Ruin sentinels is a good boss fight I think because you drop into a 1 on 1 fight with a sentinel on a small platform. This forces you to learn the move set that the enemy does and shows you how to deal with them before you have to drop down and fight 2 but in an open area with more space.

Similarly the skeleton lords could have been better because they are just kind of a mob rush fight which is fine, except the bone wheels are a new enemy unlike the other 2 skeleton types. Unless you played the first game you won't know their gimmick. Also skeletons don't really feature very heavily in that area, they're there but just a few of them in that little cave. Both bosses in the area feature skeleton mobs a plenty though which just feels kind of disjointed from the rest of the level.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
the bastille is a cool level but that part where you cant escape from the fencing club because the plank you dropped from onto their balcony is 1 foot above the ground is not so cool

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I liked it :shobon: . But whoever came up with the hollowing mechanic was an idiot. "Oh you're having trouble with this fight? gently caress you we're gonna take some of your health every time you die, git gud rear end in a top hat".

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hollowing has advantages over being alive. Your attacks do more damage and you make less noise, so you are harder to detect. At least that was the case in demons souls I dont even know if the dark souls games kept that up tbh.

Dec 26, 2012

in dark souls 1 theres not much difference, its mostly a multiplayer/npc invasion toggle. in dark souls 2 hollowing lowers your health but barring a few items (like one sick as hell pyromancer flame) to my knowledge it doesnt give any advantages

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Not at all.

But the HP decrease isn't as bad as it sounds. Compared to other design decisions, it's a minor problem.

Dec 26, 2012

the hp decrease might be a problem if human effigies and throwing down a white sign and the ring that gives you 80% at minimum humanity didnt exist, but they do

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

01011001 posted:

"get gud"

Dec 26, 2012

what, no, my point is that there are several readily available ways to not be at half hp and you should probably use them

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

right and using those to mitigate hollowing is the opposite of being bad, which is what you would have to be to complain about hollowing :rolleyes:

Dec 26, 2012

lol

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Yeah the hollowing in 2 is actually one of the good changes. It happens gradually, not as an either/or thing which better simulates the LOLOLOLORE act of going hollow plus it means dying once isn't a massive loss like in Demons' Souls where you went from 100% to 50% in one death. The fact that successful co-op didn't return you to human at release, that human effigies are limited, and the existence of the rings which basically nullify the whole mechanic to begin with is just another example of 1 step forward 2 steps back though.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Dark Souls Deux was actually really good and probably goty

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Speaking of things that are bad, why is it that when I jump in Mario, I eventually fall back down against my will? It's hosed up, I sometimes end up falling in killer holes by mistake. Garbage design IMO

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish I still had my PS3. I want to play Demon's Souls so bad.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Harrow posted:

I wish I still had my PS3. I want to play Demon's Souls so bad.

playing it atm, game owns

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

In Dark souls 2 the enemies have a limited number of lives while the player has infinite

does from even know how video games work?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Skilleddk posted:

playing it atm, game owns

yup, beats both of its successors hands-down.

god damnit i just wanna kill demons in boletaria

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

i agree with this, but i also agree that DS2 is a lesser game compared to its predecessors.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

i agree with this, but i also agree that DS2 is a lesser game compared to its predecessors.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Another change that makes no sense is the weapon combos. In the first, you can do an R2 attack then an R1 attack and the R1 will flow right off of the R2 attack animation. In Dark Souls 2 if you do a single R2 followed by an R1 attack, it just resets the combo in the middle after the R2. Again, why they changed it who can say, but when it happens it resets the animation and takes you out of the game for just a moment making you confront the grim reality of your horrible existence for one moment longer than a better game would have.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Gwyn was way better than Nashandra for a final boss. It was dumb that you could parry him because if you don't he's a really tough boss, but he had better music, better backstory, and a better look than Nashandra (Nashandra's textures are so loving bad, man).

Like how unexpected was it to just have this burnt-out husk of a man rush you as soon as you entered through the fog gate while a track vastly different from any other in the game started playing? poo poo was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB6sOhQan9Y

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I kinda wish they had made Royal Aegis to Vendrick the final boss (obviously not set up the way it is in the game right now apart from being one fight after another) because it was kinda interesting in the same way killing Gwyn was visiting a mercy on a dude who had unbecome.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

Is this the guy you're talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI ? Cause lol at 50 minute long youtube videos about how bad a video game is but like he is legit right for all 50 minutes and he hits the nail on the head.

This video's pretty myopic. A lot of decisions made for Dark Souls 2 ended up being crap shoots, but how the gently caress would he know: he actually believes (and says so in the video) that most were made because of incompetence, not in attempt to fix problems that exist outside of his tiny demographic of low-level gimmick-build invader. In the interest of fairness I'm sure that he would otherwise share the purpose of a lot of these decisions so as to better explain why they turned out so bad, but he constantly brings up the wrong purposes or doesn't bring them up at all. He doesn't understand the changes and they don't serve him, so it's bad.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 4, 2014

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Dark Souls 2 is better than Dark Souls 1

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case
for me to poop on

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Gimbal lock posted:

This video's pretty myopic. A lot of decisions made for Dark Souls 2 ended up being crap shoots, but how the gently caress would he know: he actually believes (and says so in the video) that most were made because of incompetence, not in attempt to fix problems that exist outside of his tiny demographic of low-level gimmick-build invader. In the interest of fairness I'm sure that he would otherwise share the purpose of a lot of these decisions so as to better explain why they turned out so bad, but he constantly brings up the wrong purposes or doesn't bring them up at all. He doesn't understand the changes and they don't serve him, so it's bad.

A lot of the stuff he complains about can be attributed to incompetence though? The emerald herald dialogue could have been fixed by looking at how the maiden in black dialogue was done. The lack of a feeling of interconnectivity in the world could have been fixed by not putting lava castles on top of windmills. The overabundance of large packs of enemies in levels and in boss rooms plus the number of enemies that have seemingly infinite stamina are present to create challenge when enemy design that would illicit the same level of challenge without using these methods eluded the designers.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

So sayeth Lord human being Bazinga Pony!

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
aare you really that stupid.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
to be fair, we're all pretty stupid

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

aare you really that stupid.

Check it out: you just spelled 'are' with two 'a's. Holy loving poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I was typing fast

• Locked thread