Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

I was typing fast

You just neglected to use a period at the end of this sentence. What's your excuse now. gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

The overabundance of large packs of enemies in levels and in boss rooms plus the number of enemies that have seemingly infinite stamina are present to create challenge when enemy design that would illicit the same level of challenge without using these methods eluded the designers.

I think this is one of the biggest reasons people say there were less defining moments for them in dark souls 2 than 1. There's an over-saturation of guys to fight in some areas and it really starts to feel like Lost Izalith filler.

Lost Bastille, while having cool level design, suffered from this in a few places. The bridge into the fort before the ruin sentinels is well done. I know I'm not the only one who ran in, saw swordsmen start to rush me, ran back out, and then had to fight a bunch of sword dudes on the bridge.

The Mill after poison pond and the lava level suffered from this the most I think. It didn't help that they were back-to-back.

I think it worked well in shrine of Amana, and I enjoyed that area as well. You can either take it super slow and try to snipe the casters or you can try to rush them at the expense of triggering the semi-camouflaged mudbabies.

Fighting the drakes in Dragontown was cool but the sentinels were hilariously cheap and really felt to me like they had run out of ideas by that point. The dragon knights were better but still a little silly. Maybe they were trying to recreate that feeling when you first got to Anor Londo and had to fight a sentinel for the first time? But they knew you probably wouldn't fall for classic AL sentinel shenanigans so the only other thing they could think to do was give them jackhammer arms?

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Yeah I agree with you Grakdesh. I think you hit a good point about sometimes the issue not being too many enemies in a single pack, but just over saturation of enemies in levels generally. Like, can anyone here honestly say they cleared the entire hallway in front of Velstadt more than once? Instead of putting 10 enemies that players will just run by and avoid every time, it would be much better to have 4 that they are forced to fight every single time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

enemy leashing and pin point sorcery/lightning made the long hallway of enemies into tedious jokes.

I guess not everybody is a cheese lord like me though. I can't resist the path of least resistance.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

The hallway in front of the lost sinner was also dumb. Just a boring, long elevator ride, then a long straight hallway for me to run past the enemies to the boss. Then at least once I died to the lost sinner and went to the bathroom during the loading screen, only to forget that there are archers next to the bonfire for some dumb reason. Terrible level design imo.

Soral
May 30, 2009

those archers next to the bonfire are powerful

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
those archers are the lamest loving thing ever. the whole point of the bonfires is to be a respite from the harsh, cruel world that is lordran (drangleic) so of course let's just poo poo on the whole concept of the bonfires so that once or twice when you're not paying attention between loading screens you die. I just imagine some suit at Fromsoft pitching the idea for that and following it with "THIS AIN'T YOUR GRANDMAS DARK SOULS!"

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
You can open the Dark Souls levels in an editor and see that in DS1, every zone was neatly separate from the others. In DS2 the zones just randomly overlap because lol whatever man.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

those archers are the lamest loving thing ever. the whole point of the bonfires is to be a respite from the harsh, cruel world that is lordran (drangleic) so of course let's just poo poo on the whole concept of the bonfires so that once or twice when you're not paying attention between loading screens you die. I just imagine some suit at Fromsoft pitching the idea for that and following it with "THIS AIN'T YOUR GRANDMAS DARK SOULS!"

i like the bonfire with the giant boar on top of it in brightstone cove's encampment better. the spider one in the lower cove is the least interesting of the "hey gently caress you" bonfires.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Koldenblue posted:

The hallway in front of the lost sinner was also dumb. Just a boring, long elevator ride, then a long straight hallway for me to run past the enemies to the boss. Then at least once I died to the lost sinner and went to the bathroom during the loading screen, only to forget that there are archers next to the bonfire for some dumb reason. Terrible level design imo.

more examples of good places to use the "kill enemies until they stop spawning mechanic". though honestly, you shouldn't have to do that in the first place, so i dunno. yeah, poor level design there.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I actually kinda liked the Lost Sinner hallway. I didn't have the key the first time, so each time I ran back it was terrifying run through those creepy chattering assholes. Shame the boss itself was kinda lame

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
the lost sinner could have been a cool fight if like half way through it broke out of its restraints and started whipping chains at you and poo poo

hire me from

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Yeah that's actually a mechanic I'm surprised they didn't use more of. Very few bosses change or power up at 50% but it would be a good addition to some of the more lackluster bosses. I think if the ruin sentinels had done something like that when there was only one left it would have helped.

I actually like the ruin sentinels but that's a good example of a fight being totally front loaded, all the difficulty is at the start when you have to fight 2 at once. After you kill 1, the other goes down easy. It makes for better experiences overall I think if the fights get harder as you go. Not that only Dark Souls 2 is guilty of this, the same is true of the Maneaters in Demons', all the difficulty is in the middle of the fight with the start and finish being pretty easy.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I always liked the Lost Sinner's bonfire. It's just too funny for me to get mad at.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

no moment in dark souls 2 was as cool for me as when you find quelaag's dying sister behind a fake wall after killing quelaag. that's pretty much the defining moment of dark souls for me

finding that weird demon thing chained to a cage and making weird noises at the top of drangleic castle was pretty cool too until i realized that you actually have to go to that place in order to proceed in the game. kind of ruined it for me a little

Dec 26, 2012

romanowski posted:

no moment in dark souls 2 was as cool for me as when you find quelaag's dying sister behind a fake wall after killing quelaag. that's pretty much the defining moment of dark souls for me

finding that weird demon thing chained to a cage and making weird noises at the top of drangleic castle was pretty cool too until i realized that you actually have to go to that place in order to proceed in the game. kind of ruined it for me a little

what do you have to go up there for again, doesnt it just get you a ring

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
If I'm remembering right that's how you get to shrine of Amana

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

If I'm remembering right that's how you get to shrine of Amana

Nah that elevator is behind the mirror knight

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
You have to get a key there that opens up the King's Passage.

Soral
May 30, 2009

the most challenging part of the old iron king boss fight is the tiny hole in the platform against the wall in which you will fall into and burn to death in lava

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
The dumbest enemy placement in the vanilla game is in the Shrine of Amana. There are a bunch of those gas mushrooms, including a really big one, after the second bonfire, blocking your passage through the tunnel. Why? They are no challenge whatsoever, are not interesting in any way, and only serve to slow you down in a section which is already a lull in the action. I actually like the rest of that area.

Dec 26, 2012

i generally defend dark souls 2 but shrine of amana was a turd through and through minus the aesthetics which were nice

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.

Real hurthling! posted:

i like the bonfire with the giant boar on top of it in brightstone cove's encampment better. the spider one in the lower cove is the least interesting of the "hey gently caress you" bonfires.

This is a good example of having enemies near a bonfire being effective from a design and gameplay perspective. While you're in the tent you're fine, and you should have been able to figure out on your own that as soon as you bust that flap there's going to be enemies rushing coming at you. I mean, you had to fight your way in there so you should know what to expect on your way out.

A bad example is the Lost Sinner's bonfire which I won't bother going into because everyone already knows why that's bad.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
dark souls 2 was cool and pretty and fun but i agree with the guy on page 1 that said dragons dogma was better because it was

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

01011001 posted:

i generally defend dark souls 2 but shrine of amana was a turd through and through minus the aesthetics which were nice

ya same but eh, you can really cheese this part with bow + poison arrows

(and everything else in the game)

^^^ dragons dogs is cool but it's so unbalanced and runs so poor, at least on ps3.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Bows seemed better in Dark Souls 2 than the original. I enjoyed using Bows.

Dec 26, 2012

they were way better

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bathroomrage posted:

dark souls 2 was cool and pretty and fun but i agree with the guy on page 1 that said dragons dogma was better because it was

Dragon's Dogma owns hard.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Harrow posted:

True. If anyone hasn't played it, they should--but also make sure they get the Dark Arisen DLC with it.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Harrow posted:

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Dragon's Dogma is a deeply flawed, yet very enjoyable game

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
i really, really like all of the souls games(though demon's souls is the most flawed of the three) but it never felt like from software got a hold of what they wanted to do with them just like with king's field and lost kingdoms i guess

i like from tho

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

yep

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

Yup, pretty much. Lots of things about the game are a total mess but god drat is it a fun mess.

bathroomrage posted:

i really, really like all of the souls games(though demon's souls is the most flawed of the three) but it never felt like from software got a hold of what they wanted to do with them just like with king's field and lost kingdoms i guess

I dunno if I'd say Demon's is the most flawed. Dark Souls 1 takes a pretty big step down in quality after Anor Londo (still great, but not nearly as great), and Dark Souls 2's many weird design decisions are all over this thread. I'd go so far as to say Demon's is the most coherent, quality-wise, of all of 'em, though which one a person likes the most is obviously down to personal taste.

Not to say Demon's Souls is flawless or some stupid poo poo like that. I just think its flaws are less glaring than either Dark game's.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

I dunno if I'd say Demon's is the most flawed. Dark Souls 1 takes a pretty big step down in quality after Anor Londo (still great, but not nearly as great), and Dark Souls 2's many weird design decisions are all over this thread. I'd go so far as to say Demon's is the most coherent, quality-wise, of all of 'em, though which one a person likes the most is obviously down to personal taste.

by most flawed i mean it has the least quality of life features and is just in general way rougher around the edges than the future games, it can be way too hard for its own good in weird ways

i think i like it the most of the three tho

Kobold eBooks fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 6, 2014

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bathroomrage posted:

by most flawed i mean it has the least quality of life features and is just in general way rougher around the edges than the future games, it can be way too hard for its own good in weird ways

Yeah, that makes sense. The upgrade stones in Demon's are just plain hilarious, though I did like having a shitload of upgrade paths. Pure stones were a bitch, though.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. The upgrade stones in Demon's are just plain hilarious, though I did like having a shitload of upgrade paths. Pure stones were a bitch, though.

it's a very from software kind of thing, the king's field series went through a similar arc to the souls series in terms of quality/decisions, it never really found its footing but that's kind of the charm of from, they keep trying new things in their own janky little way

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I think the 2 biggest things that Demons' Souls did poorly which the other 2 games "fixed" were the upgrades for weapons and the dragon encounters. Obviously there's other stuff but I think there is a very clear progression with those 2 things where Demons' Souls did them kinda poorly, Dark Souls did them better, and Dark Souls 2 actually did them best.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

demon's souls was kind of a dick about ranged attacks in a way the later games weren't, stuff like the gargoyles in 3-2 and the flying manta rays in world 4 were really erratic and time consuming to fight but could completely dick you over if you ignored them and basically made carrying a ranged weapon mandatory rather than a build option, making every enemy melee-able and making them behave in more direct and predictable ways was one of the things dark souls really improved on imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Someone should gift me the Dark Souls 2 Season Pass, so I can truly know if it's BAD.

• Locked thread