Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
are there any games like dark souls on the vita?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I keep trying to get into dragon dogs. I just got to the city and did a quest outside, should I just go straight to the dark arisen part

Also why does it force you to play on that awful letterbox screen on ps3

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Skilleddk posted:

are there any games like dark souls on the vita?

I think those monster hunter games are sort of similar

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If someone modded ds1 so that tomb of giants led into lost isalith and crystal cave connected to somewhere (can't remember what it abuts on the world map) it would be a lot better and offer the same sort of variety as the first half of the game in terms of route selection and ability to skip parts you don't like.

delete a bunch of demons and fire statues from isalith while they're at it too.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
isalith would have really benefited from more horrifying unearthly gear melting monsters that were actually dangerous imo, and no stupid fire-breathing weeblewobbles

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

My main DS1 character is on NG++++++++ and I have never gone through lost izalith. I've used the covenant back door every single time. Should I ever bother doing it

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Benny D posted:

My main DS1 character is on NG++++++++ and I have never gone through lost izalith. I've used the covenant back door every single time. Should I ever bother doing it

no it's just as boring as the boss fight at the end, don't even bother

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
maybe if you really really really like dragonbutts and bloom, but the view you get from the bridge covers it pretty well

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
You can mostly just run by all the copy-pasted monsters in Izalith.

Of course DS2 made sure you can't just run past fights in most cases.

Dec 26, 2012

I AM BRAWW posted:

Someone should gift me the Dark Souls 2 Season Pass, so I can truly know if it's BAD.

the levels are good, the bosses vary in quality

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
A lot of the bosses in DS2 felt samey to me. I still like the game a lot, but it'd be better if the bad guys had more variety to their attacks and the tactics required to beat them.

Soral
May 30, 2009

the biggest disappointment of dark souls 2 was not being able to cut tails/limbs off boss monsters for special loot

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

dark souls 2 was a good sequel to demons souls

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqacyIaq27o

Dec 26, 2012

Soral posted:

the biggest disappointment of dark souls 2 was not being able to cut tails/limbs off boss monsters for special loot

i missed it less in a game where nearly every boss drops a boss soul of which many have multiple uses

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

RottenK posted:

A lot of the bosses in DS2 felt samey to me. I still like the game a lot, but it'd be better if the bad guys had more variety to their attacks and the tactics required to beat them.

play monster hunter

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Soral posted:

program666 posted:

play monster hunter

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRswclEJ_Gk

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

I AM BRAWW posted:

Someone should gift me the Dark Souls 2 Season Pass, so I can truly know if it's BAD.

U You should gift yourself a clue.

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.
The final boss of Dark Souls 2 should have been Patches instead of Manus.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
INCOMING WORDS:

I started replaying Dark Souls 2 recently and I gotta say, it's a lot better than I remember it, though it has also reminded me why I stopped playing it after release. Most people complain about the world and it's lack of interconnectivity across zones, the warping between bonfires, etc. but these are all just manifestations of what I think the biggest issue is: exploration in this game is non-existent or not fun.

Too many zones are straight paths from Bonfire A to Bonfire B. There might be some little alcoves and rooms along the way that require a jump or a drop to get to but generally you're walking through a hallway. Harvest Valley is a great example of this, there's lots of little paths but they're all just narrow corridors. This isn't a huge deal all together but the zone is called Harvest VALLEY, so why am I basically walking through hallways. A good zone, despite having flaws of it's own, is Huntsman's Copse. It's open and it has different paths that actually take you to different areas/bosses/secret rooms.

Shrine of Amana is another zone that people love to hate, and while the enemies and placement are difficult and sometimes obnoxious, the bigger problem is that the zone is probably the coolest and most interesting zone in the game, is relatively open, and yet is the most difficult and tedious to explore. The default way to kill the casters is with a bow and arrow and while they've improved this mechanic since Demon's Souls, it's still not fun. You're still left playing hide and seek with enemies while you look through an aiming reticle. Once you've dealt with the enemies you then go back, light your torch and proceed to follow the border of the cliffs in the water looking for secrets.

To me, this is not fun. Exploration in these games is best, I feel, when you are given multiple pathways to explore as you are progressing through the level. You reach a fork and you can go either left or right and you have no clue which way one will take you, and you're nervous because you are trying to progress, not just rummaging around specifically for secrets. The Iron Crown DLC actually did a pretty good job of this I think because there were multiple times where I was presented with multiple paths and wasn't sure which way was the "right" way to go. I often found myself doubling back on areas to explore rooms or paths that were previously closed off or I just opted not to look at previously because I was trudging down a different way. It might sound like I'm contradicting myself here because I complained about the hallways in the game, but it's not that there are hallways, it's that they are in places like Harvest Valley, Heide's, etc. where one would expect a more open environment. Even still, the DLC still fails to capture any of the moments in Dark Souls where you go down a path, only to find it connects back to some previous area, or at least grants you access to some new area you could only see from afar before. Basically the game, even in the DLC, lacks "A-HA" moments, and I think that's what makes exploring feel so hollow and in turn, makes the world feel empty and disjointed.

TL;DR: I'm 400 pounds and cannot see my own dick nor wipe my own buttocks after defecating.

apropos to nothing fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 12, 2014

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case
I'm sorry to hear that and hope you find the strength to improve your health, hygiene, and quality of life in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case
You make some alright points about video games though

• Locked thread