Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

É o mês de coisas assustadoras, e que maneira melhor de comemorar do que falando de RPGs de Horror? Arkham Horror, jogos da série World of Darkness e outros. Discutam sobre jogos e outras coisas mais nesse tópico!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

É o mês de coisas assustadoras, e que maneira melhor de comemorar do que falando de RPGs de Horror? Arkham Horror, jogos da série World of Darkness e outros. Discutam sobre jogos e outras coisas mais nesse tópico!

We only speak Common 'round here. :bahgawd:

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Dread seems like a great game to run for a Halloween one-shot or something like that. Easy to understand and basically built for short-term play.

Plus you're playing Jenga at the same time and that's always a bonus.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Pienso que el Cthulhu Dark es muy interesante y divertido. También quiero jugar Dread, pero no puedo jugar lo por pbp y no tengo un grupo aquí para probarlo.
¡Ay caramba!

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
I need to try Cthulhu Dark. I got my PDF from the Cthulhu Dark adventure Kickstarter (He Who Laughs Last?) and it looks pretty fun.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I always try to make a big deal about people speaking the right languages in Forgotten Realms games, but I think amongst my gaming group I'm the only one who gives a poo poo :shrug:

Qualith is my favorite RPG language what's yours :)

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Grim posted:

I always try to make a big deal about people speaking the right languages in Forgotten Realms games, but I think amongst my gaming group I'm the only one who gives a poo poo :shrug:

Whichever one the players spend time making rules for. Some simple grammatical rules for a fictional language really makes it come to life, regardless of what words you use (so long as those words have a sound theme).

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I've never actually played a Horror RPG. I only started playing a couple years ago, and it pretty much shuts down as soon as school starts since everybody goes out of town.

What would you guys suggest for me to run with 3-4 people? I want to get more practice GMing, and a one-shot horror sounds like a fun way to do it.

(Don't post in Portuguese. I can't read it. Post in Spanish. I can read that (slowly):()

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Cthulhu Dark is great because the mechanism is super simple and doesn't slow down the game much at all to roll. Also the rules are like five pages total, and a big part of the game is this adversarial aspect of other players challenging rolls, which encourages everyone to pay attention and engage in the game.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOnqjkJTMaA

post this in five threads this month or the michael jackson will come into your kitchen and steal your pots and children

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
NiHao!

(Not even gonna try idiograms via phone)

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOnqjkJTMaA

post this in five threads this month or the michael jackson will come into your kitchen and steal your pots and children

Stay safe poverty ghost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMHIIRrCz1w

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 1, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Grim posted:

Qualith?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It's what the illithid use (at least according to one of the 3.x books). It's written/touch-only so that the reader can distinguish psychic impressions in the psuedo-Braille script it uses.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Где русский язык топик? :mad:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Reene posted:

Not nice.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Reene posted:

Russian topic in mother Russia, of course. :ussr:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Grim posted:

In all the fantasy games I've been in knowing the right language has only ever cropped up in regards to things like "the ancient language of demons" or being able to understand really weird poo poo like mind flayers or similarly alien outsider types. Not once have I ever seen a GM go "the dwarf king only knows how to speak dwarven, do any of you know how to speak that?"

Conversely, it seems like language barriers are more likely to come up in modern/near-future games. Every Shadowrun game I've ever been in has made some sort of importance out of knowing the right language (though it helps that with the right cyberware you can pop a chip in your head that lets you at least get by).

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Specific languages are fun if members of the group share a language that the locals don't. Then you can play around with the party members sneakily communicating, how others respond when they don't understand, suddenly realizing that one of the NPCs does understand the language, etc.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Qualith?

I first read about it in some AD&D 2E book, it's like trying to read the grooves on a record only you have to read 4 simultaneous grooves with your face tentacles :)

Favorite Realms language is Roushoum because Halaster was a cool dude

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Grim posted:

When I played D&D for the very first time i'm certain I spent more time agonizing over the most useful languages to pick than I did choosing feats- I might have picked one that gave me an additional language, actually. Pretty quickly learned that the DM didn't actually care about that stuff or want to make it relevant, which is representative of many of my experiences on the player side actually.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Feng shui had the best ever language rules: "Everyone is speaking modern Cantonese subtitled into English. No matter when and where you are. Stop putting language rules in the game and just banter with sorcerers and gangsters."

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

zachol posted:

Specific languages are fun if members of the group share a language that the locals don't. Then you can play around with the party members sneakily communicating, how others respond when they don't understand, suddenly realizing that one of the NPCs does understand the language, etc.

Language barriers should be a plot point, not a guessing game on your character sheet. FFG Star Wars goes out of its way to say that unless you're on some backwater planet, everyone can understand each other. Translator droids are useful for dramatic purposes.

I was in a game once where we decided that Gnomish and Dwarven were related, so the character who spoke Gnomish could sort-of understand and speak Dwarven. The DM ran all of the sentences through Google Translate and back and let the player sort out what the dwarves were trying to say. It was a pretty amusing "minigame."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I don't think language barriers should never come up but there ought to be a reason behind it rather than throwing it in there just because. Especially baffling to me are games where player-characters might come from different geographical regions, none of which share a language, and ostensibly characters are required to either buy each others' language to communicate or constantly be rolling dice to understand what the other person is saying. While I can imagine games where interparty language barriers could be entertaining I utterly fail to see how that sort of thing would be anything other than quickly insufferable in your typical fantasy RPG where that was rigorously enforced.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

I meant like two player characters talking to each other in a rare shared language in order to hide what they're saying from NPCs who don't speak it. Sneaky spy stuff.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I don't think language barriers should never come up but there ought to be a reason behind it rather than throwing it in there just because. Especially baffling to me are games where player-characters might come from different geographical regions, none of which share a language, and ostensibly characters are required to either buy each others' language to communicate or constantly be rolling dice to understand what the other person is saying. While I can imagine games where interparty language barriers could be entertaining I utterly fail to see how that sort of thing would be anything other than quickly insufferable in your typical fantasy RPG where that was rigorously enforced.

I've been trying to find a way to make languages interesting, and I can't really do it (outside of maybe very specific encounters, but that's more of a session design thing than a system design one). You really need to justify every bit of complexity you put in your system, and languages have a hard time being anything but an extra piece of complexity that primarily works to prevent interesting social interactions from happening.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

OtspIII posted:

I've been trying to find a way to make languages interesting, and I can't really do it (outside of maybe very specific encounters, but that's more of a session design thing than a system design one). You really need to justify every bit of complexity you put in your system, and languages have a hard time being anything but an extra piece of complexity that primarily works to prevent interesting social interactions from happening.

Yeah, that's sort of it in a nutshell...RPGs are a collaborative, cooperative endeavor where dialogue is the primary means of moving things forward. Language barriers, outside of occasional puzzles or challenges, are a straight-up impediment to that.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Buceta.

That's all I ever learned of Portuguese. Spanish is my native tongue so it's easy to understand, but I still made an effor to look this one up.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Kai Tave posted:

This is how it works in Edge of the Empire. The game basically assumes that everyone automatically speaks every language, unless the DM doesn't think they should in an instance, in which case they don't.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Grim posted:

Ob-lob, from the Reign setting. The supplement featuring it has a whole chapter on it. Why? Check it:

Ob-lob (or Fodandutikanitandu, which is the Fodandutikanitandu word for what they call their language) is a probably artificial language where a given word's importance is measured by how many syllables it has. The longest word is Ahazumpadorzahirvomeckneeramutruuzmecklotan - a sixteen syllable word for God. Coming in second is the fifteen syllable word for "world", third the fourteen syllable word for "ocean" (the Ob-lobs are a seafaring people), fourth the fourteen syllable word for themselves (Obotilobitanolonikututano) and clocking in at twelve syllables is "family", "sky" and "virtue".

Eleven syllables is a verboten concept associated with death and ill-fortune. The best way to insult somebody in Ob-lob is to lengthen their name to eleven syllables and yell it at them. Ten is "Life". This carries on down to the one syllable words which are the least important. Notably, "Pu" which means everyday moral weakness. This tiered system of importance tells you a lot about the Ob-lob culture and what values they hold. Notably "Self" is a five syllable word and waaaay down below family and even the likes of "Law" and "Pride". Another notable word is the three syllable word for "Stupidity". Normally stupidity is like a one syllable word, but the three syllable version is reserved for unbelievable, you'll-never-live-this-down Hangover type stupidity. It's a good one, and one I often try to incorporate whenever Ob-lobs show up.

Relatedly, Ob-lobs who haven't acclimatised to foreign cultures often get offended about being called Ob-lobs (the foreign shortening of the thirteen syllable mouthful) for an obvious reason: It's two syllables! Do these people think we're scum? Another fun piece of fluff is that they often have trouble saying the word "King" and end up saying something like "Kin-in-in-in-ing" because of its importance. Ob-lob names usually have 4 syllables, 5 if your parents were pretentious, 3 if they were really strict and wanted you to be humble.

Their alphabet is a sort of runic, vaguely heiroglyphic one. Each word is either a line or a spiral depending on whether you're writing about mundane or spiritual matters, with a single unbroken line/spiral with symbols coming off it representing each word.

I love the detail that's gone into writing the Ob-lob language. Language is hugely important in the Reign setting and the Language() skill is front and centre with things like Weaponry and Lie. It's relatively easy to splash into a language and have a decent chance of communicating with someone if they're willing to take extra time and speak slowly, so it's unlikely that the party will be completely unable to communicate with someone. At the same time, it's a significant investment to achieve mastery and get an accent, which I really like. Sadly, none of the other languages are detailed as much as Ob-lob. There's a shout out to the Imperial language for having the only sensible system of writing on the planet (still no spaces, punctuation or capital letters but way better than everyone else's) and a shout out to the Dindavaran written language for being so retarded that even they rarely use it (words are written according to pronunciation. To-may-to and to-mah-to would be written completely differently)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My first real set of dice arrived today!

(pardon the surface, I didn't have a table available at the time)

15 complete and matching sets, plus 2 sets of just 4/6/8-sided, and a dice bag

===

On an unrelated note, how do I make those hex maps that I've seen in old D&D books? My campaign is picking up on some lore and I'd like to give the players some references before too long.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 1, 2014

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I like hexographer for my hex-mapping goodness.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Zurui posted:

I was in a game once where we decided that Gnomish and Dwarven were related, so the character who spoke Gnomish could sort-of understand and speak Dwarven. The DM ran all of the sentences through Google Translate and back and let the player sort out what the dwarves were trying to say. It was a pretty amusing "minigame."

This unironically sounds like the best language mechanism I've ever heard of in a game.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Buceta.

That's all I ever learned of Portuguese. Spanish is my native tongue so it's easy to understand, but I still made an effor to look this one up.

How rude.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ElegantFugue posted:

This unironically sounds like the best language mechanism I've ever heard of in a game.

Bad traduzir palavra homem internet legal emprego

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Error 404 posted:

NiHao!

(Not even gonna try idiograms via phone)

手机拼音输入是很容易的。电脑输入比手机输入一点点难的。

同志们,祝你门国庆节!光靠结束《龙与地下城》是无法解放游戏者的。我们一定取得胜利!故事博弈万岁!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Genug jetzt! Lasst uns wieder über Rollenspiele labern statt mit unseren Mutter- und erlernten Sprachen anzugeben.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

frankenfreak posted:

Genug jetzt! Lasst uns wieder über Rollenspiele labern statt mit unseren Mutter- und erlernten Sprachen anzugeben.

Olen samaa mieltä. Puhutaan nyt niistä saatanan roolipeleistä.

Pääsen pitkästä aikaa pelaamaan Monsterheartsia parin viikon päästä. En malta odottaa. :woop: Mitäs pelejä te muut pelaatte tällä hetkellä?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

手机拼音输入是很容易的。电脑输入比手机输入一点点难的。

同志们,祝你门国庆节!光靠结束《龙与地下城》是无法解放游戏者的。我们一定取得胜利!故事博弈万岁!

是的,但我很懒,所以我不会去做

frankenfreak posted:

没有你

Ratpick posted:

Olen samaa mieltä. Puhutaan nyt niistä saatanan roolipeleistä.

Pääsen pitkästä aikaa pelaamaan Monsterheartsia parin viikon päästä. En malta odottaa. :woop: Mitäs pelejä te muut pelaatte tällä hetkellä?

我的主要爱是地下城世界。我无法获得足够的了。我在6个不同的PBP现在

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
quote is not edit.

• Locked thread