Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is it just me or is there a lot of TTRPG groups / discussions in Google+ specifically. Is there a particular reason for that? Drive to host PDFs, Hangouts for gaming and general nerdery for Google?

Yeah. G+ is a failed facebook killer that replaces Yahoo groups quite handily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I like G+ because I dislike social networking

Sites like roll20 also integrate with Hangouts / etc

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Libertad! posted:

People can reblog your stuff on Google+ as well, though, so that's not gonna help.

Tumblr has an advanced blocking feature to make you experience only what you want to experience, but it hasn't really caught on there from what I've seen.

I think that a large part of Google Plus' popularity is that you can use Hangouts for Skype-like chat, which apparently works great for live games.

Yeah but Tumblr is built AROUND reblogging, whereas in G+ it's just this side thing. It's also much easier in G+ to build your circes and then disallow anything from outside of them.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Libertad! posted:

People can reblog your stuff on Google+ as well, though, so that's not gonna help.

Tumblr has an advanced blocking feature to make you experience only what you want to experience, but it hasn't really caught on there from what I've seen.

I think that a large part of Google Plus' popularity is that you can use Hangouts for Skype-like chat, which apparently works great for live games.

Tumblr does not actually have very robust native blocking tools -- you can block individual blogs and you can tell Tumblr not to display blogs flagged as "adult", but that's about it. There are a couple popular browser plugins you can use to create a blacklist of tags you don't want to view on your dash, among other things, but those are heavily reliant on people properly tagging their posts, and tagging them in the exact way you worded them on your block list. Tumblr is really not the place you want to go if you never want to see opinions you'll disagree with.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gazetteer posted:

Tumblr is really not the place you want to go if you never want to see opinions you'll disagree with.

And yet...

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jimbozig posted:

Reading without moving your lips was considered drat impressive once upon a time.

And for centuries people were writing poo poo without spaces or punctuation:

And yes, people would actually read things like that regularly.

And yes, it seems really stupid to us today. At the time, it was all perfectly sensible!

Very interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Jimbozig posted:

Reading without moving your lips was considered drat impressive once upon a time.

And for centuries people were writing poo poo without spaces or punctuation:

And yes, people would actually read things like that regularly.

And yes, it seems really stupid to us today. At the time, it was all perfectly sensible!

This'd be great setting fluff for just about any D&D derivative: because the magic of spells is actually in the words on the page, one of the first things that aspiring wizards need to learn is to read silently, because if they just mouthed the words on the page of the spell book they'd run the risk of accidentally activating the spell held therein.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
I don't really think the secret reason that people who play RPGs/story games are drawn to google plus is because they are horrible shut in nerds that can't deal with outsider opinions (unless you mean your-racist-aunt when you say outside opinion)

It' pretty literally because hangouts are great for online tabletop stuff and you can start communities without paying a bucketload in advertising in order to get anyone to see your community.

Maybe there's a minority that use it like the stereotype in this thread but honestly, the OSR grognards are pretty open to adding people and get really offended if you block them for their horrible misogynist/homophobic opinions.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I'd always assumed the reason for reading in Reign working that way was that if a player found a secret letter the GM wouldn't have to take them to one side to tell them what was in it without the other players hearing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So a friend started bringing Betrayal on the House on the Hill to weekly get-togethers to make it more of a game night.

Tonight he posted "Want a game night of this? ;)"

I just let out a long "oh noooooooooooo ..."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

So a friend started bringing Betrayal on the House on the Hill to weekly get-togethers to make it more of a game night.

Wait what's wrong with Munchkin?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Not this again.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Munchkin is a lot of fun and plays fast and has a low bar to entry, it is great.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Yawgmoth posted:

Wait what's wrong with Munchkin?

Please don't troll.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Munchkin has a lot of jokes that require knowledge of nerd and geek culture to get - it's really great for real geeks! You'll learn a lot about your friends, playing Munchkin. Plus, the art is by noted poet of the brush, John Kovalic. You get a lot of game time out of Munchkin, too, because keeping your friends from winning is part of the fun.

And if you get bored because you feel like you're not having the Genuine Fun time with Muchkin you should, you can always play one of the large variety of expansions available - or mix and match them! The game will be as fun or as balanced as it would be with or without any of the Munchkin expansions in it no matter how you play.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Asymmetrikon posted:

Please don't troll.
Not trolling, I legit do not know what makes Munchkin bad. it's fun and fairly simple, and the only problems I've ever had is that some people throw a loving tantrum when you give them a plutonium wyrmling to fight.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Yawgmoth posted:

Not trolling, I legit do not know what makes Munchkin bad. it's fun and fairly simple, and the only problems I've ever had is that some people throw a loving tantrum when you give them a plutonium wyrmling to fight.

Munchkin has a bad rap because it is sold in Target and is not some completely inaccessable Eurogame where you have to google to get instructions on how to play translated from German.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Yawgmoth posted:

Some people tire of the gimmick and feel the gameplay gets drawn out past its welcome. I think general arguments about it are more tiresome, honestly. I don't find it very exciting but not worth getting mad over either.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Winson_Paine posted:

Munchkin has a bad rap because it is sold in Target and is not some completely inaccessable Eurogame where you have to google to get instructions on how to play translated from German.
Rubes not even making the effort learning the language so they can experience the manual in the original German. :chord:

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Munchkin is bad because it isn't fun.

If you actually want a serious post, people dislike Munchkin because it is an extremely random, screw-the-leader game that takes about ten times too long. Also, it's filled with bad nerd in-jokes.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Winson_Paine posted:

No, and you know that's not why, Winson. Stop trollin'.

Munchkin has a bad rap because it is ridiculously random in outcome. Your loot drops are random, your monsters are random, everything you get is random. This usually ends up with one person rapidly near victory early on while everyone else is still level 2 or 3 and there is nothing anyone could've done about it.

Of course, this wouldn't be so bad if that's where the game ended, but no. Half the game's cards are completely dedicated to stopping other people from winning. When someone is about to win, everyone else pulls out those cards and stops them in their tracks, extending the game time potentially hours after someone should've won. Munchkin isn't a game where anyone wins - it's a game where you happen to luck into victory when no one had a card to stop you with.

It's awful because you're left wondering 4 hours after Ted was about to win why you're still playing.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Asymmetrikon posted:

Munchkin is bad because it isn't fun.

Agreed, the principle concern for good for a game is fun.

quote:

If you actually want a serious post, people dislike Munchkin because it is an extremely random, screw-the-leader game that takes about ten times too long. Also, it's filled with bad nerd in-jokes.

As an actual serious post, those same reasons are why a lot of people like it. That is pretty much it.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Gnome7 makes it sound like some kind of card-driven WWI or Korean War game. I don't know if that's good or bad.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

The game's mechanics are set up in such a way that it usually drags on for far too long and way longer than it should, and any fun you might have playing it is mostly a function of being with people that you have fun with period.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Munchkin would be good if it never took more than half an hour. Completely random games are fine as long as they don't take a couple of hours to play. That's all there is to it. If Munchkin had a mechanisms to drive the game towards an end condition in a reasonable time it wouldn't be so bad.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Munchkin would be good if it never took more than half an hour.

Let's not stretch that far. But yeah, that's one of the biggest flaws it has (especially that Munchkin's length manifests itself in the last part of the game where it's just 'let's see who stocked more gently caress-you cards when someone attempts to end the game').

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Tekopo posted:

Munchkin would be good if it never took more than half an hour. Completely random games are fine as long as they don't take a couple of hours to play. That's all there is to it. If Munchkin had a mechanisms to drive the game towards an end condition in a reasonable time it wouldn't be so bad.

All it would really take is replacing every "Screw you" card with a "Help Me" card that brought you closer to winning. The reason it takes so long is because so many cards stop the game from ending. If they did the opposite, games would take 10 minutes or so.

It would still be an extremely random game with little ability to influence the outcome, but some people like that kinda thing, and at least it wouldn't eat the entire evening for one round. It'd leave less of a bad taste in your mouth that way.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Asymmetrikon posted:

Let's not stretch that far. But yeah, that's one of the biggest flaws it has (especially that Munchkin's length manifests itself in the last part of the game where it's just 'let's see who stocked more gently caress-you cards when someone attempts to end the game').
No I'm serious. Love Letter japanese edition can make you lose before you even have a turn. I still love it because rounds are like 2-3 minutes at most and you are right back in the game. I've seen people in munchkin get unlucky throughout the game that took one and a half hours and look miserable all the way through. And then get called sourpusses because they didn't enjoy themselves and looked glum.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

In one of the supplements, I can't remember which but I think it's one of the earlier ones, there's some detail tucked away in a chapter of new advantages/qualities about a tiny little kingdom tucked away somewhere that's the only place in Reign's setting that understands the concepts of word spacing, punctuation, and how to read silently without vocalizing the words as you go. It's a secret they guard jealously the same way that Dindavara guards the secret of their Hanzo steel, and you can actually be from that country (or have been secretly taught by someone from that country) and buy the secrets of advanced literacy as a character advantage.

Ahh, the Librarian-Kings of Salck. It should be noted in Reign that because written language is so primitive, everybody who is literate reads aloud. Everyone except the Librarians of Salck. The way reading and writing works in Reign mechanically is that to read and write you take a penalty to your Language() skill unless you take like half an hour and muddle your way through it like a preschooler or you have the Literate(insert language) Advantage. It's only a 1 point advantage but that's still like an intensity 2 spell or Indomitable (the advantage that lets you keep using limbs after they've been broken). If you have the Literate advantage you can then buy Secrets of the Librarians of Salck, assuming you can convince your GM, for 2 points. All this does is that you can read without speaking or moving your lips. This is roughly equivalent in the modern day to somebody skim-reading a piece of sheet music and being able to whistle it. It's somewhat eyebrow raising.

The other thing the Librarian-Kings get is an Esoteric Discipline called The Eyes of the Crown of Salck. It's basically the Sherlock Holmes Memory Palace: The skill tree. At rank 1 you can make a roll to remember someone's face forever, at rank 5 you can remember everything since you bought it with perfect recall, forever. It's kinda cool but it's one of those things that you either have to be playing a Librarian-King or be able to sweet talk your GM into letting you be a special snowflake to have.

Also with regards to the men riding side saddle thing, Reign has Muscle Wizards. It's a magic school called Equine Unity and it requires you to be able to ride a horse to buy. Therefore, it's almost completely exclusive to women. It's mentioned that they only very recently discovered that men could do it at all and that was due to some very weird circumstances. All muscle wizards are women. And what muscle wizards they are! Running on smoke, leaping fifty feet at a time, turning into wind and moving at 70mph, getting so many ranks in Body that you can break the dice cap of the system.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Played munchkin 3 times last weekend. Had never played before. Each game took about half an hour. I can see that if they took hours they'd lose their charm, but they didn't. How long are you guys taking to take your turns? It doesn't seem possible to screw somebody THAT many turns in a row while still leaving them in a position to screw you back.

Or maybe it's different with more players? We just had 3 players.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

Played munchkin 3 times last weekend. Had never played before. Each game took about half an hour. I can see that if they took hours they'd lose their charm, but they didn't. How long are you guys taking to take your turns? It doesn't seem possible to screw somebody THAT many turns in a row while still leaving them in a position to screw you back.

Or maybe it's different with more players? We just had 3 players.
The problem is made worse with more players because there a lot more 'screw you' cards available to all of the players. Newbies will tend to use these throughout the game, thus slowing the ascent to level 9, while experienced people will horde them until level 9, leading to a nearly interminable 'whack-a-mole' scenario. Both drive the playing time quite a lot higher the more players you have.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Winson_Paine posted:

I'm thrilled whenever I see a good game in Target. :(

And I've hated Munchkin since the... Second?... time I played it, way before it hit any big stores.

I just think it's a bad game that overstays its welcome.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I like to play munchkin with my friends.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

Gnome7 makes it sound like some kind of card-driven WWI or Korean War game. I don't know if that's good or bad.
I'm sure they've released a WW1 expansion for it. I'm just totally amazed that there hasn't been a Munchkin Autoduel, but I guess Steve Jackson knows the relative worth of his properties.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I like to play munchkin with my friends.
I'd rather hang out with my friends without the Munchkin.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

I'd rather hang out with my friends without the Munchkin.

*AVGN voice* I'd rather eat roadkill than hang out with you :cheeky:

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Yeah, I don't think the randomness is a problem--it's way more of a 'turn off your brain and do poo poo with friends' game than anything competitive. I still hate playing for the reasons people here are citing, though--it takes way too long and the end-game is just incredibly frustrating.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Munchkin isn't Monopoly bad, it's just too shallow to hold up for very long. Inevitably there's a huge bottleneck at the end because everyone tries to screw the leader and can.

It's good for like one game where you laugh at the goofy cards and art and make insane trades, but I can't imagine going back. I'd never build a night around it.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yo, just keep playing Betrayal on the House on the Hill. poo poo is great. Or play that Werewolf game. One Night Ultimate Werewolf. You can call each other assholes and liars and it's part of the game! Or ZOMBIES!!! board game where you build the board as you go. Or the Zombies dice game. The Werewolf and Zombie dice game are short and simple. Zombies board game takes a bit longer.

Or play Munchkin a few times so that your friends can see it's fun for a little while but loses its luster. Then you don't have to play it anymore after that. I find that the game of Munchkin isn't quite what's on the box. It's not "Be the first to level 10!" It's more "Wait patiently at level 9 and let others try to win, exhausting everyone else's screw cards and jump in at an opportune time."

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Munchkin isn't Monopoly bad, it's just too shallow to hold up for very long. Inevitably there's a huge bottleneck at the end because everyone tries to screw the leader and can.

It's good for like one game where you laugh at the goofy cards and art and make insane trades, but I can't imagine going back. I'd never build a night around it.
I would honestly rather play monopoly than munchkin.

• Locked thread