Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What the hell is your new avatar?

Empress Jingu from Breakfast Cult. I felt like a Halloween avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What the hell is your new avatar?

An anime or two.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Ettin posted:

Empress Jingu from Breakfast Cult. I felt like a Halloween avatar.

Well, I'm sold on Breakfast Cult.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ProfessorCirno posted:

As I said, I think Star Wars sorta needs two "modes." One is more low key pulpy style action a'la original trilogy; Han Solo is a good shot with a blaster and a good pilot, Luke does front flips and sabers dudes, Lando is a good pilot and has some vague leadership abilities (and the ability to be suave as gently caress). The second is EU/prequels/Clone Wars high fantasy action, where jedi are force pushing groups of droids around and performing ridiculous acrobatics and cutting through armies, while republic commandos are mowing down enemies with heavy repeater blasters and taking out armor with rocket launchers and wearing super strong armor.

The idea that Jedi have to be the former and non-jedi the latter is pure D&D BS.

Incidentally, it always rubbed me the wrong way how EotE really tried to amp up and emphasize it as THE GRITTY STAR WARS, because Star Wars was never gritty. Even in the wretched hive of scum and villainy of Mos Eisley, the atmosphere was far more low key and vaguely noir-ish then it was vicious grim and gritty. Han Solo was a smug roguish scoundrel with a cocky grin, not some horrible amoral criminal from a gritty crime drama.

As a big star wars fan I 100% agree. Star Wars needs to be pulp with lasers, not GRITTY SPACE SCUMBAGS. Han was a loving devilish rogue and Chewie was his giant roaring buddy, they weren't grim mercenaries who smuggle everything from human slaves to illegal drugs.

Also yea, you gotta keep the Jedi in their own poo poo, they just don't work in a mixed party.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

As a big star wars fan I 100% agree. Star Wars needs to be pulp with lasers, not GRITTY SPACE SCUMBAGS. Han was a loving devilish rogue and Chewie was his giant roaring buddy, they weren't grim mercenaries who smuggle everything from human slaves to illegal drugs.

Also yea, you gotta keep the Jedi in their own poo poo, they just don't work in a mixed party.

They just smuggled drugs.

Star Wars is supposed to be pulpy, that's pretty much the biggest defining thing about it other than the monomyth. They ape a good deal Hidden Fortress but outside A New Hope that kind of ends, other than C-3PO and R2D2.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
My players are the best. They surprised me with a birthday cake :3:

(name pixellated to protect the nerdy)

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Guildencrantz posted:

My players are the best. They surprised me with a birthday cake :3:

(name pixellated to protect the nerdy)

Elite Gaine Molster

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They just smuggled drugs.

Star Wars is supposed to be pulpy, that's pretty much the biggest defining thing about it other than the monomyth. They ape a good deal Hidden Fortress but outside A New Hope that kind of ends, other than C-3PO and R2D2.

It occurred to me this morning that Edge of the Empire isn't "Traveller with Wookies." It's "Firefly with Aliens.*" Mal is pretty much a low-resolution scan of Han Solo. He flies around in an awesome-but-beat-up ship with an adorable crew of misfits (including a girl with ~mysterious force powers~ getting into trouble as they try to make a living on the outskirts of a monolithic fascist empire. Every episode of that series could be a Star Wars adventure if you change the names and set dressings. I mean hell, they even have "Mal shoots first" in the pilot.

*Also "Firefly without unfortunate Civil War apologism."

Zurui fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 11, 2014

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

The back of thus bus is where you mount the rocket engines!

I really need to find a suitable base model for my Ork Skool Bus.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I hope it's being driven by the Ork Warlord Masazz Frizz'ul.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Zurui posted:

It occurred to me this morning that Edge of the Empire isn't "Traveller with Wookies." It's "Firefly with Aliens.*"
Since Firefly is basically "Traveller without aliens", I think we've basically just proved some sort of geek transitive property.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

unseenlibrarian posted:

I hope it's being driven by the Ork Warlord Masazz Frizz'ul.

With her battle-squig LIZZZZZZZ

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What's a good print shop to go to if I want to print out some tuckboxes on decent quality cardstock? Does Kinkos do that?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Doesn't Edge of the Empire basically do this?

Also my real problem with tabletop Star Wars is that Star Wars being literally a generic medieval fantasy setting in space tends to make people play it like it's Dungeons and Dragons (i.e. "strip every body naked and take everything that isn't nailed down"), but the setting (and usually the system) doesn't support that kind of playstyle. My group ran the starter adventure for EotE and by the end we had three ships. That's two too many ships for a five person party.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Just found out theres going to be a new edition of paranoia coming out. Exciting times

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Froghammer posted:

Doesn't Edge of the Empire basically do this?

Also my real problem with tabletop Star Wars is that Star Wars being literally a generic medieval fantasy setting in space tends to make people play it like it's Dungeons and Dragons (i.e. "strip every body naked and take everything that isn't nailed down"), but the setting (and usually the system) doesn't support that kind of playstyle. My group ran the starter adventure for EotE and by the end we had three ships. That's two too many ships for a five person party.

Nah, as long as they're small that's actually great because it allows you to head off a lot of interpersonal stuff that might be magnified into problems in a confined setting. Not to mention it allows the group a great deal more flexibility if they're planning shenanigans and I'm thinking about this too hard/verisimilitudinously/bluh i'm tired good night

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013
New Paranioa incoming.

WordMercenary fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 14, 2014

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Apparently gonna be a kickstarter later this month

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Remaining cautiously optimistic; I loved XP but Troubleshooters didn't really grab me for some reason.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I admit not knowing much about the folks involved other than James Wallis, who everything I've read by him is pretty dry, but I guess he did Adventures of Baron Munchausen which was more of a literal storygame than an RPG per se. It's kind of weird, though; Paranoia just doesn't strike me as the sort of game that needs an edition every five years or so.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Grant Howitt is a good personal friend of mine. He recently did a kickstarter called Goblin Quest.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Plus, Paul Dean is one part of Shut Up and Sit Down, a very funny London-based board gaming review site. His writing's great but from what I've seen his RPG design is pretty D&D heartbreaker-y - here's the link to one of his design diaries.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's kind of weird, though; Paranoia just doesn't strike me as the sort of game that needs an edition every five years or so.

Well, one of the big things about the XP edition was that it updated the technology of things we're currently paranoid about now as opposed to the 80s. Which is a big part of Paranoia: it's all the technology things we're afraid of at some level, cranked up to 11.

Back in the late 80's/early 90's, computers were magical mystery devices that could do anything, and everyone was afraid about computers taking their jobs or making a mistake and getting you audited or erasing your identity or whatever.

When XP came out, we (by which I mean "culture-at-large we") were afraid of the economy failing, identity theft, surveillance states, terrorist attacks, and so on. But nowadays in 2014 we're still pretty much afraid of those things. So I don't know what would really need to be updated setting-wise for a new edition.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Remaining cautiously optimistic; I loved XP but Troubleshooters didn't really grab me for some reason.
Paranoia XP also has the finest adventure ever written within its pages. I had more fun running Mr. Bubbles than should be legal.

Really though I could go for a new Paranoia with less crunch. That letter scale and the d20 math could be simpler.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

dwarf74 posted:

Paranoia XP also has the finest adventure ever written within its pages. I had more fun running Mr. Bubbles than should be legal.

Really though I could go for a new Paranoia with less crunch. That letter scale and the d20 math could be simpler.

I always loved crumpling up the spam and throwing it at players at any available opportunity.

Idea!I should run Mr. Bubbles at my local game day!

Any tips for running it, dwarf74?

Edit:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, one of the big things about the XP edition was that it updated the technology of things we're currently paranoid about now as opposed to the 80s. Which is a big part of Paranoia: it's all the technology things we're afraid of at some level, cranked up to 11.

Back in the late 80's/early 90's, computers were magical mystery devices that could do anything, and everyone was afraid about computers taking their jobs or making a mistake and getting you audited or erasing your identity or whatever.

When XP came out, we (by which I mean "culture-at-large we") were afraid of the economy failing, identity theft, surveillance states, terrorist attacks, and so on. But nowadays in 2014 we're still pretty much afraid of those things. So I don't know what would really need to be updated setting-wise for a new edition.

I still enjoy that in Paranoia, the one place where you are not guaranteed any privacy is the bathroom.

So much for the last bastion of American Freedom!

Also, it won't be Paranoia without Jim Holloway art. I sincerely hope that they realize this when they make the new edition. I really hope that one of their goals will be to commission even more pieces of said art.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 14, 2014

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Froghammer posted:

I think this is more a reflection of the players then the game. I've been in a SW game and its nothing like a regular D&D game. In the first adventure we were on, killing and looting was the last thing on our minds. In fact, we made a point not to destroy droids who tried to attack us. We could have looted the place we had been sent to, but it would have been a bad idea. We did this because we were following orders. We were sent to a mine to get it back to operational status for our employer. Acting like a typical D&D group would have been the worst thing we could've done.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

Also, it won't be Paranoia without Jim Holloway art.

It really wouldn't.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

dwarf74 posted:

Did the Troubleshooter edition etc mess with the whole perversity point mechanic? I really loved XP's general style and analysis of playstyles, but I found that mechanic was just awful in tabletop play. You could really tell that most of their playtesting was done online.

Combat could use an overhaul from scratch paying attention to how combats are actually presented in the adventures - way too many shots ended up being boring YOU ARE STUNNED results, even if you're shooting your teammates in the back. If you want cmobat to just be 'GM FIAT', go ahead, but the rules as presented sucked.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
yeah it's probably time for a Paranoia World.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

fosborb posted:

yeah it's probably time for a Paranoia World.
There has already been an official Paranoia playset for Fiasco.

http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/news/2012/06/15/a-very-special-paranoia-fiasco/

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Oh drat, I bet that's a great match actually. Assign the capricious nature of Fiasco characters' fate to the will of the Computer. Perfect.

e: haha I think that's more world-defining fluff than I've ever seen for a Fiasco playset.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
:siren: There is an open playtest now...uh, open for Delta Green the RPG! :siren:

EDIT: :siren: It looks very similar to Call of Cthulhu still so I'm not sure I entirely grasp the point of this yet!!! :siren:

Spincut fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 14, 2014

Karma to Burn
Dec 21, 2012

Spincut posted:

:siren: It looks very similar to Call of Cthulhu still so I'm not sure I entirely grasp the point of this yet!!! :siren:

Didn't this happen in reaction to the first CoC 7th edition news? If memory serves, the game looked too radical a departure from classic CoC so they just made their own version.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

On the new Paranoia:

quote:

Picture a new edition in your head, with Ghostbuster-style cards covering equipment and mutant powers (and combat!), extremely tight rules all geared towards getting the players hostile, Computer Dice showing exactly what has gone wrong and how... And whatever you have in your mind, this is going to be better. Much better. Mr Wallis has pulled a real blinder with this game and I'm champing at the bit to get playing!

Everything is being geared towards how Paranoia is played rather than producing Paranoia as if it were another RPG. A quick example... No printed character sheets. In the KS box set, you'll be getting wipe-down character cards that you quickly jot/cross out things with a marker pen, and lay down cards for everything else. Quick, simple, no fuss. Concentrate on the action.

We'll be previewing the rules as the Kickstarter gets going, so you can see exactly what is being done and how.

I really hope this doesn't become geegaws and gimmickry for the sake of geegaws and gimmickry.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

FMguru posted:

There has already been an official Paranoia playset for Fiasco.

http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/news/2012/06/15/a-very-special-paranoia-fiasco/

Very nice!

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

On the new Paranoia:

I really hope this doesn't become geegaws and gimmickry for the sake of geegaws and gimmickry.

I'm ok with this, especially if they're colored gimmicks that allow you to be punished for using ones that are above your clearance.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

On the new Paranoia:

Ah man, I was just talking about how I wanted more games with gimmicks. As long as they're cool gimmicks and are easy to get, I think they're great.

Edit: Also what the guy above me said is pretty cool.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LuiCypher posted:

Any tips for running it, dwarf74?
PROPS! This adventure, more than even most, is insanely better when the table's full of props. Almost weird little device that gets handed out should have a physical manifestation your players can hold. And yes, balling up spam to throw at your players is completely essential.

Frankly, that's part of the charm of Paranoia - making the game physical and immediate.

Another favorite of mine was an introductory adventure from one of the collections. A robot keeps handing out ominous-seeming "lollibooms" that "EXPLODE in your mouth with flavor" or will make you "BLOW your lid!" and so on. They're innocuous, until you have one player at the table with six tootsie pops in his mouth trying to explain how he doesn't need another one.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Karma to Burn posted:

Didn't this happen in reaction to the first CoC 7th edition news? If memory serves, the game looked too radical a departure from classic CoC so they just made their own version.

Ha. They've been working on this for a long while, I think before CoC 7th edition was announced.

Delta Green seems to me to be primarily about the themes while making sure the system doesn't get in the way. The primary theme, of course, is Mythos horror meeting modern fears. (While CoC is traditionally focused on the 1920s.) In the 1990s that meant UFOs and suspicion of our government. In 2014, we have a much better idea about how far our government will go without our knowledge. Corporations are also a lot more obvious in their influence - yet are intangible, ruthless, and resilient. This makes them (as noted by Kenneth Hite) a fair bit like certain Mythos monsters.

So they're updating the themes, adding in a lot of new threats, and generally polishing the game to where they want it to be. By making it their own thing, they can do that without running things past Chaosium. You're right that it doesn't seem like a huge departure from BRP CoC, but I don't think it's really meant to be.

I'm pulling most of this from a couple years' worth of GenCon panels and a GenCon playtest game with one of the authors, by the by. If you're interested, you can hear the panels yourself from the Unspeakable! podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

PROPS! This adventure, more than even most, is insanely better when the table's full of props. Almost weird little device that gets handed out should have a physical manifestation your players can hold. And yes, balling up spam to throw at your players is completely essential.

Frankly, that's part of the charm of Paranoia - making the game physical and immediate.

Another reason I'm cool with their new announcement about the kickstarter.

• Locked thread