Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Rotten Cookies posted:

Yo, just keep playing Betrayal on the House on the Hill. poo poo is great. Or play that Werewolf game. One Night Ultimate Werewolf. You can call each other assholes and liars and it's part of the game! Or ZOMBIES!!! board game where you build the board as you go. Or the Zombies dice game. The Werewolf and Zombie dice game are short and simple. Zombies board game takes a bit longer.
Zombies!!! is also a terrible screw-the-leader game with the exact same problems as Munchkin, so I'm not sure why you're recommending it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

ImpactVector posted:

Zombies!!! is also a terrible screw-the-leader game with the exact same problems as Munchkin, so I'm not sure why you're recommending it here.

*that's the joke emote*

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Rotten Cookies posted:

*that's the joke emote*
:doh: Saw ONUW in there (which I thought was supposed to be the "not completely terrible" version) and figured you were serious.

Is ONUW still terrible? I just ordered it a few days ago as a party game for when people are too drunk to play Resistance: Avalon right.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Everyone should own a copy of EPIC SPELL WARS OF THE BATTLE WIZARDS: DUEL AT MT. SKULLZFYRE for when you need a small, easy, random game to play with people.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ImpactVector posted:

It has the same problem but not quite at the same severity.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Zombies! is a weird game because you'd expect it to be coop (like, you know, every zombie movie) but you basically play it solo and the only real interaction between players is screwing the other guy.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Did the GW mock thread just get closed because someone said "squats"?

Didn't think that happened anymore. :v:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I think that thread and the GBS 40k thread that is the same five guys spamming Putty-level skeleton jokes should be merged on the mathematical idea that bad with bad equals good.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I knew that nerds were afraid of physical exercise, but that's a new low!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Zombies! is indeed more fun when you play it as coop. Everyone has to get to the helipad and you can trade items. I forgot what we did with the items/screw cards. I think screw cards were played instantly

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Rotten Cookies posted:

Zombies! is indeed more fun when you play it as coop. Everyone has to get to the helipad and you can trade items. I forgot what we did with the items/screw cards. I think screw cards were played instantly

If you want to play a zombie game where screwing over other people is front and center, City of Horror is such a tighter and better choice, with awesome components. If you want pure coop, Zombicide is a thing of beauty.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Are there any zombie board games where you get to play the zombies?

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

Bucnasti posted:

Are there any zombie board games where you get to play the zombies?

Zombie Dice :hurr:

Last night on earth has a zombie player(s).

Eaten By Zombies is a deckbuilder where you play people trying to survive but when you die you play a zombie trying to keep the other players from surviving.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I like to play munchkin with my friends.
For real, I've never played a bad game of munchkin with friends but maybe that's because I avoid boardgame night style events like the plague

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
So as someone who's somewhat interested in horror roleplaying, what makes Chill unique and something you want on your bookshelf? The 3rd edition kickstarter just got underway and I'm not really getting a good feel for why I should get this from it.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I closed it for a day because it was bad and I wanted people to shut up about PP.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Grim posted:

For real, I've never played a bad game of munchkin with friends but maybe that's because I avoid boardgame night style events like the plague
I think Munchkin is fine with the right group of people that you know and that get the jokes, but if boardgaming is your primary hobby and you go to public meetups (in other words, the situation I'm in), it can fall extremely flat. And if even it has a lot of issues in terms of design, that shouldn't stop anyone from playing it and enjoying it, much like any other videogame/rpg/whatever else which people say aren't designed well.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rotten Cookies posted:

Conversely, Arkham Horror gets a whole new level of interesting when you introduce PVP.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, but who has time to play a whole game of Arkham Horror?

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Has anyone tried Cthulhu Grey? It seems like an interesting, simple take on horror games: http://trailofdice.weebly.com/uploads/6/9/2/1/6921148/cthulhu_grey.pdf

Failing that, does anyone have tricks or tips for keeping the tension up in horror games even when it goes to combat? In a lot of games I've played in (and a lot of the actual plays I've listened to) it feels like all the tension of a good horror session drains away in a combat that lasts more than a round or two.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Yawgmoth posted:

Conversely, Arkham Horror gets a whole new level of interesting when you introduce PVP.

Why yes, Betrayal at House on the Hill is quite fun.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Jimbozig posted:

Played munchkin 3 times last weekend. Had never played before. Each game took about half an hour. I can see that if they took hours they'd lose their charm, but they didn't. How long are you guys taking to take your turns? It doesn't seem possible to screw somebody THAT many turns in a row while still leaving them in a position to screw you back.

Or maybe it's different with more players? We just had 3 players.

It's different with more players. Most of the time I've seen Munchkin played it's with 4-8 players. It's one of those math dilemmas where each player ramps up the possibility of the endgame dragging out exponentially.

The brilliance of Munchkin is that accurately simulates the flow of D&D. It starts out a bit sluggish and dull, and then as you gain levels, gets exciting and interesting for awhile, then as you approach the top-tier levels, everything starts to get sluggish and overcomplicated and miserable.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've done it a lot!... but it requires that you get good at the game and have your team working in tandem closely to prioritize crises and resolve them. The real key is to just play with the base game and one mini-expansion or two and tell the rest of the irritating busywork expansions (I'm looking at you, Kingsport) to get lost.

That being said, I'm mostly done with Arkham Horror because of its ridiculous 80s-era overdesign.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I've done it a lot!... but it requires that you get good at the game and have your team working in tandem closely to prioritize crises and resolve them. The real key is to just play with the base game and one mini-expansion or two and tell the rest of the irritating busywork expansions (I'm looking at you, Kingsport) to get lost.

I was in an AH game that used three expansions. Never again. And I say this as someone who was involved in a weekend-long game of Talisman that used all four of the big corner expansions.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

It only takes half a day if you use the Arkham Horror app.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Benagain posted:

Why yes, Betrayal at House on the Hill is quite fun.

It is, but how fun it is depends a lot on which Haunt you end up getting. Like Vampires are really fun but the Blob is just tedious and bland. Some of them are also overpowered as hell (which is good! Seeing hapless humans horribly perish is the best part of the game!)

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 3, 2014

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Bendigeidfran posted:

It is, but how fun it is depends a lot on which Haunt you end up getting. Like Vampires are really fun but the Blob is just tedious and bland. Some of them are also overpowered as hell (which is good! Seeing hapless humans horribly perish is the best part of the game!)

What I find amazing is that there are multiple Betrayal at House on the Hill knock-offs currently on Kickstarter.

Gravy Train Robber fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 3, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

On a totally different note, I'm reading through Designers & Dragons: the 80s, and it mentions an unnamed freelancer who apparently introduced Kevin Siembieda to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic, and wrote an early draft of the game which was rejected by Siembieda (to be completely rewritten by Erick Wujcik in the final month before release).

Anybody have any idea who that freelancer may have been?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Since we're talking board games, are there any good Descent-style games that can be played solo?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Evil Mastermind posted:

Since we're talking board games, are there any good Descent-style games that can be played solo?

I don't know if it's good, but I'm waiting on my copy of Shadows of Brimstone to ship. It's an old west dungeon crawler that can be played solo. Mantic's also got Dungeon Saga coming out next year with a solo mode for both the heroes and the villain.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

The D&D Adventure System games are serviceable.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I got the first half of my Myth Kickstarter a while back and it can theoretically be played solo, but I haven't had a chance to try it fully.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Bendigeidfran posted:

Also unfortunate if the traitor is a new player and not comfortable reading and interpreting a hidden set of rules in a competitive game; especially when those rules required so much errata.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

On a totally different note, I'm reading through Designers & Dragons: the 80s, and it mentions an unnamed freelancer who apparently introduced Kevin Siembieda to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic, and wrote an early draft of the game which was rejected by Siembieda (to be completely rewritten by Erick Wujcik in the final month before release).

Anybody have any idea who that freelancer may have been?

Barack Hussein Obama.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So I looked up some Betrayal at House on the Hill play videos, and oh man this game looks fun as hell.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Mice & Mystics you play the bad guys at the end of the good guy turns and they simply go to the nearest hero and attack so it could be done solo.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Barack Hussein Obama.

Unlikely, at best...:rolleye:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Barack Hussein Obama.

That is the lamest Obama conspiracy theory I've heard this week.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

So I looked up some Betrayal at House on the Hill play videos, and oh man this game looks fun as hell.

Betrayal is actually pretty fun until the Haunt starts. That's when you flip a coin to see if you're in for enjoyment or tedium for the rest of the game.

e: or whether the game will instantly end because one side is way overpowered.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Didn't FFG promise something like this (or at least entirely co-op) as an add-on to Descent itself? (Edit: Found it!)

Though if you're looking to stretch the concept of "Descent-style" and willing to play something fairly hard there's always Death Angel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Chvatil's Mage Knight is kind of like Descent. Well, ok, maybe not exactly, but you should still play Mage Knight anyway (you can even play solo!)

• Locked thread