Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Sionak posted:

Ha. They've been working on this for a long while, I think before CoC 7th edition was announced.

Delta Green seems to me to be primarily about the themes while making sure the system doesn't get in the way. The primary theme, of course, is Mythos horror meeting modern fears. (While CoC is traditionally focused on the 1920s.) In the 1990s that meant UFOs and suspicion of our government. In 2014, we have a much better idea about how far our government will go without our knowledge. Corporations are also a lot more obvious in their influence - yet are intangible, ruthless, and resilient. This makes them (as noted by Kenneth Hite) a fair bit like certain Mythos monsters.

So they're updating the themes, adding in a lot of new threats, and generally polishing the game to where they want it to be. By making it their own thing, they can do that without running things past Chaosium. You're right that it doesn't seem like a huge departure from BRP CoC, but I don't think it's really meant to be.

I'm pulling most of this from a couple years' worth of GenCon panels and a GenCon playtest game with one of the authors, by the by. If you're interested, you can hear the panels yourself from the Unspeakable! podcast.

Chaosium limits how many supplements you can put out per year under their license, plus the fact that a standalone game is more marketable than a setting book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread