Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

LuiCypher posted:

The only problem is that you'll get people who *want* Jedi to be powerful because MY VERISIMILITUDE based on their interpretation of the movies over actual mechanical balance. Obi-Wan waving his hand and convincing a Stormtrooper that these aren't the droids you're looking for isn't a mere talent to substitute one ability for another - it's an actual power for Jedi using the Force to trammel over "the weak-minded".

You'll get the same people who want wizards to be super-powerful because nerds > jocks arguing that Jedi need to be more powerful because nerds > jocks. And while D&D really is just a fantasy world, Star Wars is a sci-fi world rife with instances of Jedi being super-powered Marty Stus/Mary Sues and people are going to want them to mechanically play that way. I'm OK with FFG releasing a separate supplement for people like that while they let the rest of us peasants be Droid Missionaries arguing for both the recognition of synthetics as people and a god in the form of the technological singularity :dukedog:

Also to let us be wookiees who measure their worth not in terms of ears hanging from their dogtags, but arms hanging from their belts.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Again, TTG writers being unable to leave the shadow of D&D is not an inherent problem with Star Wars.

The shackles of D&D are far reaching and powerful indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
The idea of powerful character acting as a sort of force multiplier (no pun intended) in space battles is pretty cool though. In a well balanced Star Wars RPG it would give non-Pilot characters an interesting role whether they're Jedi or just diplomats or something.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
Don't most studies show pirating doesn't really affect sales anyway? I'm sure indie stuff has a much higher paid:pirate ratio than big releases but I always assumed that was just because pirates tend to download your stuff the same because it's all free to them and that even with perfect DRM you just wouldn't have seen those sales.

• Locked thread