Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Davin Valkri posted:

How bad off is the world of Reign that that's something you need to keep secret? :ohdear:

That's actually pretty historically accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, but who has time to play a whole game of Arkham Horror?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I've done it a lot!... but it requires that you get good at the game and have your team working in tandem closely to prioritize crises and resolve them. The real key is to just play with the base game and one mini-expansion or two and tell the rest of the irritating busywork expansions (I'm looking at you, Kingsport) to get lost.

I was in an AH game that used three expansions. Never again. And I say this as someone who was involved in a weekend-long game of Talisman that used all four of the big corner expansions.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Since we're talking board games, are there any good Descent-style games that can be played solo?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So I looked up some Betrayal at House on the Hill play videos, and oh man this game looks fun as hell.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

Didn't FFG promise something like this (or at least entirely co-op) as an add-on
Though if you're looking to stretch the concept of "Descent-style" and willing to play something fairly hard there's always Death Angel.
I have Death Angel; it's a pretty fun solo game with the advantage of not needing a ton of setup/breakdown.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gau posted:

grognards.txt has ended at its logical apex, Pundit accusing John Wick of never having played D&D.

RIP you poor, lost soul of a thread

I'm amazed the whole hobby didn't collapse upon itself into a black hole when he said that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey guys I skipped the last two pages did I miss anything?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Really Pants posted:

Should magic teacups be more lethal than mundane teacups?

gently caress your magical tea party bullshit.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What's a good print shop to go to if I want to print out some tuckboxes on decent quality cardstock? Does Kinkos do that?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Remaining cautiously optimistic; I loved XP but Troubleshooters didn't really grab me for some reason.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's kind of weird, though; Paranoia just doesn't strike me as the sort of game that needs an edition every five years or so.

Well, one of the big things about the XP edition was that it updated the technology of things we're currently paranoid about now as opposed to the 80s. Which is a big part of Paranoia: it's all the technology things we're afraid of at some level, cranked up to 11.

Back in the late 80's/early 90's, computers were magical mystery devices that could do anything, and everyone was afraid about computers taking their jobs or making a mistake and getting you audited or erasing your identity or whatever.

When XP came out, we (by which I mean "culture-at-large we") were afraid of the economy failing, identity theft, surveillance states, terrorist attacks, and so on. But nowadays in 2014 we're still pretty much afraid of those things. So I don't know what would really need to be updated setting-wise for a new edition.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

Also, it won't be Paranoia without Jim Holloway art.

It really wouldn't.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

On the new Paranoia:

quote:

Picture a new edition in your head, with Ghostbuster-style cards covering equipment and mutant powers (and combat!), extremely tight rules all geared towards getting the players hostile, Computer Dice showing exactly what has gone wrong and how... And whatever you have in your mind, this is going to be better. Much better. Mr Wallis has pulled a real blinder with this game and I'm champing at the bit to get playing!

Everything is being geared towards how Paranoia is played rather than producing Paranoia as if it were another RPG. A quick example... No printed character sheets. In the KS box set, you'll be getting wipe-down character cards that you quickly jot/cross out things with a marker pen, and lay down cards for everything else. Quick, simple, no fuss. Concentrate on the action.

We'll be previewing the rules as the Kickstarter gets going, so you can see exactly what is being done and how.

I really hope this doesn't become geegaws and gimmickry for the sake of geegaws and gimmickry.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Impermanent posted:

I think the decision to move to card and trinkets is actually not just a good move for Paranoia but a Sign of Things to Come for the industry as a whole.

Boardgames are pretty much killing most mainstream RPGs when it comes to design sense with exceptions only being made among independents like Apoc World - crunchier games would benefit greatly from cards and custom dice and little scoreboard and meeples etc.

EDIT:

Like, did anyone print out those little cards you could use for your powers in 4th Ed? Were they not just absolutely the best for helping new players figure out what they could do?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know that Paranoia's always been a prop-heavy game. Hell, I still have some of the old forms-in-triplicate.

I just get worried when the first thing they tell me about the game is the props. Especially with a kickstarter; I've seen a lot of KS die because they focused on too many doodads.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My big worry with games with frobbery is that if you lose said frobs, the game could become unplayable. And I fully admit that's just me being overly cautious.

I still haven't played my copy of MH3e. I haven't even punched out the bits yet.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I always love when someone describes an indie game as "what I thought D&D would be when I was a teenager".

I need to get around to reading my copy of BW one of these days.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I did a F&F review of Part Time Gods a while back, but I'm on my tablet so I can't like right now. I liked it; the system is a bit on the crunchy side but the divinity powers were broad enough to support most concepts.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

I keep waiting for someone to write it up for FATAL & Friends, because it's seriously some of the most headshaking garbage ever produced as a full-line professionally published RPG. There was much to hate about D&D3E/D20/OGL but I'll always appreciate the way it shifted the entire industry away from the godawful metaplot/supplement model that WW pioneered.

I think that would require someone to actually own it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You just reminded me that it's almost TradGames Secret Santa time! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Deadlands: Reloaded and Hell On Earth: Reloaded.

• Locked thread