Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Not this again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Munchkin would be good if it never took more than half an hour. Completely random games are fine as long as they don't take a couple of hours to play. That's all there is to it. If Munchkin had a mechanisms to drive the game towards an end condition in a reasonable time it wouldn't be so bad.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Asymmetrikon posted:

Let's not stretch that far. But yeah, that's one of the biggest flaws it has (especially that Munchkin's length manifests itself in the last part of the game where it's just 'let's see who stocked more gently caress-you cards when someone attempts to end the game').
No I'm serious. Love Letter japanese edition can make you lose before you even have a turn. I still love it because rounds are like 2-3 minutes at most and you are right back in the game. I've seen people in munchkin get unlucky throughout the game that took one and a half hours and look miserable all the way through. And then get called sourpusses because they didn't enjoy themselves and looked glum.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

Played munchkin 3 times last weekend. Had never played before. Each game took about half an hour. I can see that if they took hours they'd lose their charm, but they didn't. How long are you guys taking to take your turns? It doesn't seem possible to screw somebody THAT many turns in a row while still leaving them in a position to screw you back.

Or maybe it's different with more players? We just had 3 players.
The problem is made worse with more players because there a lot more 'screw you' cards available to all of the players. Newbies will tend to use these throughout the game, thus slowing the ascent to level 9, while experienced people will horde them until level 9, leading to a nearly interminable 'whack-a-mole' scenario. Both drive the playing time quite a lot higher the more players you have.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Grim posted:

For real, I've never played a bad game of munchkin with friends but maybe that's because I avoid boardgame night style events like the plague
I think Munchkin is fine with the right group of people that you know and that get the jokes, but if boardgaming is your primary hobby and you go to public meetups (in other words, the situation I'm in), it can fall extremely flat. And if even it has a lot of issues in terms of design, that shouldn't stop anyone from playing it and enjoying it, much like any other videogame/rpg/whatever else which people say aren't designed well.

• Locked thread