Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Error 404 posted:

NiHao!

(Not even gonna try idiograms via phone)

手机拼音输入是很容易的。电脑输入比手机输入一点点难的。

同志们,祝你门国庆节!光靠结束《龙与地下城》是无法解放游戏者的。我们一定取得胜利!故事博弈万岁!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
你们都是纸老虎和没有革命性!你们必须学习埃廷主席!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
我不明白。这个是普通话。

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 1, 2014

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
今年我们同志们的Kickstarter都得到资助!我向你们的勇气致敬!故事博弈万岁!

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 1, 2014

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

In one of the supplements, I can't remember which but I think it's one of the earlier ones, there's some detail tucked away in a chapter of new advantages/qualities about a tiny little kingdom tucked away somewhere that's the only place in Reign's setting that understands the concepts of word spacing, punctuation, and how to read silently without vocalizing the words as you go. It's a secret they guard jealously the same way that Dindavara guards the secret of their Hanzo steel, and you can actually be from that country (or have been secretly taught by someone from that country) and buy the secrets of advanced literacy as a character advantage.

That just sounds really stupid.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jimbozig posted:

Reading without moving your lips was considered drat impressive once upon a time.

And for centuries people were writing poo poo without spaces or punctuation:

And yes, people would actually read things like that regularly.

And yes, it seems really stupid to us today. At the time, it was all perfectly sensible!

Very interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, but who has time to play a whole game of Arkham Horror?

It only takes half a day if you use the Arkham Horror app.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Dark Conspiracy was weird one; it was GDW's attempt to do a grim nineties supernatural sort of game, and coming from designers working on Twilight 2000 and Traveller. It was kind of cyberpunk where a supernatural event starts causing all of humanity's fears to start manifesting, but the issue is that their interpretation of "humanity's fears" is "really shlocky horror". So you're up against vampires, werewolves, greys, etc., and other stereotypical monsters. There's a big grim evil Gigeresque force behind it all but tonally it never really worked for me. When the force of pure evil is like "How will I gently caress with humanity? I know- look out I just released a big furry yeti!"... it comes across as an example of how trying to explain something can make it sillier.

So they're pretty much the Reckoners from Deadlands?

quote:

Also, because it's based off of Twilight 2000, you advance your character by taking "terms", which means the ideal maximization is to be like forty years of age, where you're old enough to dredge up the most skills you can gather but not so old your attributes start falling. So a lot of players end up playing Midlife Crisis Monster Hunters. It also has some pretty grindy combat rules that can sometimes use terms like "square root" and expansive gun lists and generally what happens when a military system is used as a blanket house system for horror. It's an interesting novelty of seeing GDW try to change with the times, and I don't know how much the 2nd edition changed things up, but it struck me as a forced and clumsy effort.

Does anyone know what inspired this system? It makes sense for military sims but younger gamers don't want to play 50 year old spacers who have been shipping fake palm trees to the Zhodani for 20 years. My theory was that the people at GDW came up with the system after watching Alien, since it's practically working stiffs in space, but it came out in 1979, two years after Traveller. I'm doubtful it's Star Trek. Most of the Enterprise crew were in their 30's, Doohan and DeForest Kelley were in their 40's, and they were on their first 5 year mission.

EDIT: Star Wars came out in 1977, the same year, so I doubt it inspired a great deal in the main book.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 7, 2014

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
WEG's Star Wars has a number of issues and I'd go with EotE since it is younger than some of the posters here.

If you want to play a game that's pretty close to capturing SW, EotE. If you want to play space truckers, WEG. If you want to play action space truckers, EotE.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The problem with jedi in Star Wars RPGs is that they're mostly based on Luke Skywalker. Luke Skywalker is heavily based on the "monomyth" concept of Joseph Campbell and Luke's supposed to be better than his contemporaries by virtue of being the hero. RPG and expanded universe writers took it to mean that all jedi are super powerful space wizards. These writers also tend to follow comic book rules of upping the ante in terms of power because what story is there to tell after the supposedly universal story? Even Lucas forgets everything he learned and makes jedi ridiculously more powerful than anything seen in the original trilogy because he had to sell some toys to make back all the money he lost in his divorce.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gravy Train Robber posted:

The worst thing about the Age of Rebellion book was that it dedicated valuable page space to retelling the story of The Force Unleashed

I actually had to check if it was still canon according to Disney and unsurprisingly it's not. It wasn't even that good of a game and I feel bad for anyone who got it for the Wii.

Apparently the only things that are canon now are the six films, Clone Wars TV series and movie, Rebels, and anything published after April 25, 2014 without the "Legends" banner. My theory is that if the new movies bomb, Disney will go fully into pushing original trilogy, prequel, and legends stuff because Disney will have the distribution rights to everything except A New Hope by then.

EDIT: For those that didn't know, Lucas said that Force Unleashed was up there with the movies in terms of canon. I think it was one of his last big attempts at a cash grab before he sold off Lucasfilm.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 9, 2014

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PeterWeller posted:

They won't. The people who complain loudest about the prequels will be first in line, followed by all the kids who absolutely adore the prequels.

Don't get me wrong, I think J.J. Abrams will do a better job with Star Wars than Star Trek. Even then, all the J.J. Trek movies have been successes critically and financially. I just think it's interesting that their plan of popping out the movies quickly will put the last one out at about the time they get the rights to everything, 2020.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Parkreiner posted:

Exactly. People thinking D&D instead of Feng Shui is the problem, not the source (until the prequels anyway, where Force users ARE the only ones doing anything meaningful).

poo poo, probably the number one thing that sold me on FS back in the day was Jose Garcia calling rankest bullshit on WEG statting up Yoda with like eighteen dice worth of Force skill.

If I'm remembering correctly, the reason why the Imperials did so well at the Battle of Endor according to WEG was because the Emperor was using battle meditation to boost the whole imperial fleet. This is just like in KOTOR except he was not actually meditating by any definition in the movie.

Even as far back as the Thrawn trilogy, Jorus C'Baoth used his powers to influence a whole star destroyer and he's always been just a clone of a schmuck jedi. The ante was being upped in comic book fashion even in arguably the best EU series.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

As a big star wars fan I 100% agree. Star Wars needs to be pulp with lasers, not GRITTY SPACE SCUMBAGS. Han was a loving devilish rogue and Chewie was his giant roaring buddy, they weren't grim mercenaries who smuggle everything from human slaves to illegal drugs.

Also yea, you gotta keep the Jedi in their own poo poo, they just don't work in a mixed party.

They just smuggled drugs.

Star Wars is supposed to be pulpy, that's pretty much the biggest defining thing about it other than the monomyth. They ape a good deal Hidden Fortress but outside A New Hope that kind of ends, other than C-3PO and R2D2.

• Locked thread