Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Munchkin has a lot of jokes that require knowledge of nerd and geek culture to get - it's really great for real geeks! You'll learn a lot about your friends, playing Munchkin. Plus, the art is by noted poet of the brush, John Kovalic. You get a lot of game time out of Munchkin, too, because keeping your friends from winning is part of the fun.

And if you get bored because you feel like you're not having the Genuine Fun time with Muchkin you should, you can always play one of the large variety of expansions available - or mix and match them! The game will be as fun or as balanced as it would be with or without any of the Munchkin expansions in it no matter how you play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Honestly when I backed I had hoped they were going for more of a complete overhaul of the system than they had.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think the decision to move to card and trinkets is actually not just a good move for Paranoia but a Sign of Things to Come for the industry as a whole.

Boardgames are pretty much killing most mainstream RPGs when it comes to design sense with exceptions only being made among independents like Apoc World - crunchier games would benefit greatly from cards and custom dice and little scoreboard and meeples etc.

EDIT:

Like, did anyone print out those little cards you could use for your powers in 4th Ed? Were they not just absolutely the best for helping new players figure out what they could do?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'm thinking more using components as ways to introduce complexity that is easy to manage, rather than the kind of complexity that relies on memorization and similar sub-par methods of storing information.

For example, if a character's encounter and daily abilities were represented by cards in a player's hands and they were played when they were used, that player would always A: know when they had used their ability and B: know what their ability does, it's right on the card.

That's like the base version.

But in our hypothetical system we could introduce other mechanics that make use of cards. What if a character had a set amount of encounter abilities they could use per day, but only could hold so many in his hand? So you use one and draw another. But a buff could increase your hand size, or you could have an ability that lets you mulligan, or you could represent wounds with cards ala Mage Knight, or you could have each class treat their cards a little differently.

Maybe a druid class has different sets of cards for different terrain.

These are all heartbreaker style options, but they demonstrate that the playspace of a card-based RPG is pretty open. Project: Dark by Will Hindmarch is an interesting one to watch in this area because he is pretty much breaking new ground using cards to create Thief-like gameplay in an RPG.

(We haven't even touched on RPGs using true Euro style passive-competitive mechanics. I love the idea that the party might have little worker chits that they place on a treasure field at the end of the round in turns to determine who gets what loot. Or you could have a bunch of resources available to power spells and abilities that are claimed one at a time, but players get long-term bonuses for completing mini-objectives based on claiming resources in a certain order, even if it's not tactically advantageous to the rest of the party.)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think I don't understand the POV of someone who just straight up doesn't believe in their ability to put all of the pieces of a game back together after they're done playing with it.

Like, do you do your dishes?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah, it was hyperbolic, but a belief that something might get lost doesn't mean that you should avoid things that could get lost. Evil Mastermind pointed out that he was being overly cautious.

Also: If a cat knocks over your pieces, that isn't you losing them. You are sacrificing them to the catte gods.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
To be fair that thing looks like a sandwich.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hey I've just been gifted a copy of the Burning Wheel. Does this play as well as it reads? (amazingly.)

It seems like what I thought D&D was when I was 14.

Just in advance I have already played dungeon world and while I love running that system I also love tight, mechanical interactions between players and systems and DW is kinda light for my tastes. (I loooove ApocWorld, but that is because it is better.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Ok, Would your assessment change if I told you that I and my fellow players regularly play big, meaty boardgames like Mage Knight, the 'Gric, and Twilight Struggle? Systems mastery is not usually an issue for us.

Additionally - torchbearer also looks very intersting (and more supported/modern.) Is there anything it specifically does well? Is there anything missing from it that burning wheel offers? I have also been reading the Mouse Guard RPG, which just isn't light enough to be dungeon world level for me while also not being involved enough mechanically to give me the meaty experience I want.

edit: Also, thanks all for the thoughtful, insightful, timely replies!

• Locked thread