Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I'm supremely surprised that not one has, as of yet, mentioned Star Wars Galaxies.

That was a game that, despite its flaws, managed to find a niche as a sandbox game and made being a Jedi very, very special (albeit ridiculously, ridiculously tedious) as befitting the status of, oh I don't know, being one of the only Jedi left in the entire universe?

The reality is, more often than not, you are not going to have a lot of Jedi going about the universe until after the original trilogy. Either they're hermits who refuse to teach people their ways out of fear (and as such would not want to make themselves obvious) or Vader had some fun turning them into chopped Jedi bits.

Being a Jedi is a pretty *special* thing, and it definitely should be an advancement option for higher-level play, but once you introduce Jedi it's really hard to balance a system around the assumption that they will have a presence in a party of ordinary people since they have powers that could let them side-step social encounters until GM fiat stops them from doing so, combat prowess that enables them to nearly one-shot everything they get within melee distance of (unless it's something like a Rancor), and space-wizard powers that allow them to circumvent a lot of obstacles.

Not to mention that even when they used ranged weapons, they can use their space wizard powers to make it easier to hit with them (Luke's Death Star run, for reference).

Let me put it in another way. You know FFG's Only War, where you play as Imperial Guardsman soldiers of the Astra Militarum and Deathwatch, where you play as Space Marines? Putting Space Marines and Guardsmen together in combat encounters is absolutely laughable, since Space Marines are essentially highly-skilled man-tanks who are immune to the Guardsman's weapons and whose weapons can utterly obliterate a Guardsman in one shot. Even in social situations, Space Marines can essentially talk down to just about anyone in the Imperium (aside from Inquisitors) and get what they want, while Guardsmen are forced to inoffensively petition the Departmento Munitorium for a nicer gun or their superior officers to not be sent into such a terrible meatgrinder.

Putting even highly-skilled Smugglers and Jedi together do not mix well for similar reasons. And this is aside from the fact that having a Jedi around is just asking for tons of trouble from Imperial authorities, who once aware of the presence of a Jedi will basically start sending lots of people to get them, up to (and possibly including) Vader himself.

Some people, gosh darn it, like playing as more ordinary characters in Star Wars.

Also I like playing droids and droids can't be Jedi. It is a great tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Doesn't the success of Order 66 in the first place lend credence to the idea that Jedi aren't necessarily head and shoulders above a non-Jedi PCs?

The success of Order 66 was more or less reliant upon the Jedi being embedded within large detachments of clone troopers where they would be taken by surprise and eliminated via superior numbers or taken down with extreme prejudice.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

ProfessorCirno posted:

"Use Willpower instead of Charisma when convincing someone, costs a talent."

Like there's literally no reason any of those powers have to be explicitly better then anything other classes get. Lando ain't a jedi and he handles himself quite nicely in the third movie's space fight (and in fact is General Calrissian and is calling the shots).

I mean come on, the solution to "I want jedi to not overshadow non-jedi" is simple: don't stat them out that way.

The only problem is that you'll get people who *want* Jedi to be powerful because MY VERISIMILITUDE based on their interpretation of the movies over actual mechanical balance. Obi-Wan waving his hand and convincing a Stormtrooper that these aren't the droids you're looking for isn't a mere talent to substitute one ability for another - it's an actual power for Jedi using the Force to trammel over "the weak-minded".

You'll get the same people who want wizards to be super-powerful because nerds > jocks arguing that Jedi need to be more powerful because nerds > jocks. And while D&D really is just a fantasy world, Star Wars is a sci-fi world rife with instances of Jedi being super-powered Marty Stus/Mary Sues and people are going to want them to mechanically play that way. I'm OK with FFG releasing a separate supplement for people like that while they let the rest of us peasants be Droid Missionaries arguing for both the recognition of synthetics as people and a god in the form of the technological singularity :dukedog:

Also to let us be wookiees who measure their worth not in terms of ears hanging from their dogtags, but arms hanging from their belts.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

GimpInBlack posted:

And that's totally cool! One of my favorite characters I ever played was a rapidly-aging clone trooper deserter trying to build a surrogate family to replace the brothers he left behind. But to say it's impossible to balance Jedi and non-Jedi because Jedi have to be inherently better is just silly.

For the record, I totally agree that Jedi should be balanced and can probably live amiably in a party of normal dudes.

I just think that there is a sizable enough group of people who want them to be all-powerful space wizards who don't suck at melee that they are going to deliver a system like that, where Jedi are rare and powerful beings and change the course of the galaxy on a grand scale right out of the gate.

But what I think is not reality, and I am more than happy to be wrong in this regard!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

dwarf74 posted:

Paranoia XP also has the finest adventure ever written within its pages. I had more fun running Mr. Bubbles than should be legal.

Really though I could go for a new Paranoia with less crunch. That letter scale and the d20 math could be simpler.

I always loved crumpling up the spam and throwing it at players at any available opportunity.

Idea!I should run Mr. Bubbles at my local game day!

Any tips for running it, dwarf74?

Edit:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, one of the big things about the XP edition was that it updated the technology of things we're currently paranoid about now as opposed to the 80s. Which is a big part of Paranoia: it's all the technology things we're afraid of at some level, cranked up to 11.

Back in the late 80's/early 90's, computers were magical mystery devices that could do anything, and everyone was afraid about computers taking their jobs or making a mistake and getting you audited or erasing your identity or whatever.

When XP came out, we (by which I mean "culture-at-large we") were afraid of the economy failing, identity theft, surveillance states, terrorist attacks, and so on. But nowadays in 2014 we're still pretty much afraid of those things. So I don't know what would really need to be updated setting-wise for a new edition.

I still enjoy that in Paranoia, the one place where you are not guaranteed any privacy is the bathroom.

So much for the last bastion of American Freedom!

Also, it won't be Paranoia without Jim Holloway art. I sincerely hope that they realize this when they make the new edition. I really hope that one of their goals will be to commission even more pieces of said art.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Evil Mastermind posted:

On the new Paranoia:

I really hope this doesn't become geegaws and gimmickry for the sake of geegaws and gimmickry.

The only way this could be better worse is if you had a laminated sheet with 6 large circles on it, numbered for your clones.

By the way, the dimensions of these circles and their layout next to each other looks rather like it could fit one of these:

• Locked thread