Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My first real set of dice arrived today!

(pardon the surface, I didn't have a table available at the time)

15 complete and matching sets, plus 2 sets of just 4/6/8-sided, and a dice bag

===

On an unrelated note, how do I make those hex maps that I've seen in old D&D books? My campaign is picking up on some lore and I'd like to give the players some references before too long.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is it just me or is there a lot of TTRPG groups / discussions in Google+ specifically. Is there a particular reason for that? Drive to host PDFs, Hangouts for gaming and general nerdery for Google?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So a friend started bringing Betrayal on the House on the Hill to weekly get-togethers to make it more of a game night.

Tonight he posted "Want a game night of this? ;)"

I just let out a long "oh noooooooooooo ..."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

Not trolling, I legit do not know what makes Munchkin bad. it's fun and fairly simple, and the only problems I've ever had is that some people throw a loving tantrum when you give them a plutonium wyrmling to fight.

The game's mechanics are set up in such a way that it usually drags on for far too long and way longer than it should, and any fun you might have playing it is mostly a function of being with people that you have fun with period.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gau posted:

grognards.txt has ended at its logical apex, Pundit accusing John Wick of never having played D&D.

RIP you poor, lost soul of a thread

Apart from where Wick said balance doesn't matter in an RPG I thought that post was entirely reasonable.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The other thing that stood out to me from Wick's post is the implication that a Fighter/martial class shouldn't (always) be limited to specific weapons. That Riddick can beat your rear end with a teacup means that it's not a Teacup +5, but rather that anything you put in Riddick's hands is going to be a +5 weapon just because he's that good at wielding it. He might be able to do other specific tricks or types of damage if he uses a spear or a mace, but if all he needs to do is kill you dead, a rock would be just as effective.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ferrinus posted:

No, that's stupid. Riddick isn't, like, an astral thoughtform whose current armament is purely a function of the innermost feelings and prejudices of whoever is looking at Riddick at the time. If Riddick comes at you with a teacup, it means something different than if Riddick comes at you with a gun.

"No, this is a teacup. I will kill you, with this teacup."
"Yeah, but teacups are equally deadly to miniguns in this crazy world we live in, so why are you even bothering to tell me that? gently caress it, in my terrified desperation I'll try to fight back against you with a teacup, because why wouldn't I?"

This is the sort of thinking that leads to Monks only having a d4 for unarmed strikes and everyone else having to take a feat just to get it to d4 (instead of a flat 1!)

Riddick coming at you with a teacup is only different only with regards to the specific circumstances of your death, because Riddick is coming at you regardless.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Strange Matter posted:

Does anyone know of any games that simulate aircraft combat in detail? Factoring in things like altitude and different kinds of turns and such.

Down in Flames

http://www.dvg.com/.sc/ms/dd/ee/22/Down%20In%20Flames%20-%20Aces%20High

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Benagain posted:

My GF and I are going to be taking a train to New Orleans, and we were thinking of things to do to kill 20 hours besides sleep, drink and play Netrunner. The idea of me running a game for her came up and I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a one PC game or things that they've done in the past to make it easier? Any systems that lend themselves to it?

Black Streams Solo Heroes is a set of rules to allow you to run a D&D(-like) game with just a GM and one player, while Scarlet Heroes is a campaign designed around the system.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WordMercenary posted:

I'm supposed to be running helping run some games for GameCity this month. What are some good, easy to understand one shot RPGs? (I'm assuming an audience with little to no experience)

All Outta Bubblegum

quote:

This game is copyright 2001, Michael "Epoch" Sullivan and Jeffery Grant. If you want to repost it or whatever, drop me an email.

Characters in All Outta Bubblegum have one stat -- Bubblegum. It's technically a number which varies from 0 through 8, though the designers highly, highly recommend that you don't do anything so banal as write down a number, and, instead, pass out actual sticks of bubblegum to the players. This will also help when you play All Outta Bubblegum drunk, which is, let's be blunt, probably the only time you'd even consider playing this game.

Bubblegum always starts out at 8.

Resolution

Any action which does not fall under the broad category of "kicking rear end" is resolved by rolling a d10. If the number rolled is equal to or less than the amount of bubblegum the character has left, then the character succeeds in his task.

Any action which falls under the broad umbrella of "kicking rear end" is also resolved by rolling a d10. However, in this case, you wish to roll greater than the amount of bubblegum that you have left.

Losing Bubblegum

Whenever you fail a non-combat roll, you lose a stick of Bubblegum. You may also sacrifice a stick of Bubblegum before the roll to ensure success. Bubblegum also rates your damage. If someone else succeeds in a roll of asskicking against you, you lose one stick of bubblegum.

Zero Bubblegum

When you lose your last stick of bubblegum, you are officially all outta bubblegum. You may no longer attempt any kind of non-asskicking activity. Simple devices like, say, the handles of doors confound you (eerily enough, you have no problem field-stripping a .50 caliber machinegun to clear a jam in 15 seconds flat). However, you automatically succeed in any asskicking-related activity. You are a nearly unstoppable ball of bubblegum-less fury. When someone else succeeds in an asskicking roll against you, they roll a d10. If they roll a 10, you are knocked out. If they roll a 1 through 9, they've only succeeded in making you, if possible, even more angry.

However, bear in mind that it's relatively easy to trap a zero-bubblegum person in a situation he's totally incapable of dealing with.

There ya go. Think up your own drat adventures and campaign settings.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Doesn't the success of Order 66 in the first place lend credence to the idea that Jedi aren't necessarily head and shoulders above a non-Jedi PCs?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Impermanent posted:

Boardgames are pretty much killing most mainstream RPGs when it comes to design sense with exceptions only being made among independents like Apoc World - crunchier games would benefit greatly from cards and custom dice and little scoreboard and meeples etc.

EDIT:

Like, did anyone print out those little cards you could use for your powers in 4th Ed? Were they not just absolutely the best for helping new players figure out what they could do?

I definitely think that most RPGs would benefit from having more Eurogame trappings - represent your to-hit/proficiency bonus with red blocks/chits, display your HP with those flipboard number things, ready spells by putting spell cards into your hand, and cast them by laying them down on the table, remember passive abilities with index cards.

Not that I would expect that an RPG should automatically include such things, but having them as separate accessories would be nice.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

However, in a D&D style game it tends to be pretty static within a session, except for bonuses and penalties and constantly adding and subtracting blocks from your pile as those mofifiers change strikes me as too fiddly.

The better way to fix many RPGs being too complec is to remove sone of that complexity. :v:

Being able to quickly manipulate little +1s and -1s was exactly what I was getting at, and yes I do agree that simply having a less complex system would also work.

I think that even if the numbers don't really change a lot from session to session, it'd make the experience more visceral and help a newbie visualize the stat better than penciled-in numbers on a sheet of paper.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
When did "action economy" become a thing that started being considered as part of design/balance? It seems like its acknowledgement as a mechanic is a fairly recent one, say during 4E?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In general, is it a good idea to roll damage simultaneously with rolling for hit? It's just one of those "common sense" sounding things that seems like a good idea intuitively.

• Locked thread