Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Winson_Paine posted:

Munchkin has a bad rap because it is sold in Target and is not some completely inaccessable Eurogame where you have to google to get instructions on how to play translated from German.

No, and you know that's not why, Winson. Stop trollin'.

Munchkin has a bad rap because it is ridiculously random in outcome. Your loot drops are random, your monsters are random, everything you get is random. This usually ends up with one person rapidly near victory early on while everyone else is still level 2 or 3 and there is nothing anyone could've done about it.

Of course, this wouldn't be so bad if that's where the game ended, but no. Half the game's cards are completely dedicated to stopping other people from winning. When someone is about to win, everyone else pulls out those cards and stops them in their tracks, extending the game time potentially hours after someone should've won. Munchkin isn't a game where anyone wins - it's a game where you happen to luck into victory when no one had a card to stop you with.

It's awful because you're left wondering 4 hours after Ted was about to win why you're still playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Tekopo posted:

Munchkin would be good if it never took more than half an hour. Completely random games are fine as long as they don't take a couple of hours to play. That's all there is to it. If Munchkin had a mechanisms to drive the game towards an end condition in a reasonable time it wouldn't be so bad.

All it would really take is replacing every "Screw you" card with a "Help Me" card that brought you closer to winning. The reason it takes so long is because so many cards stop the game from ending. If they did the opposite, games would take 10 minutes or so.

It would still be an extremely random game with little ability to influence the outcome, but some people like that kinda thing, and at least it wouldn't eat the entire evening for one round. It'd leave less of a bad taste in your mouth that way.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
If any game would benefit from weird gimmicky rules and physical components that don't make much sense, it's Paranoia. I am a lot more interested in this gimmicky stuff than the percentile or d20 rules old Paranoia had.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Benagain posted:

Actually slightly different spin on that question. I've got a group of novice roleplayers who I've run a couple of very successful dungeon world games with, some fiasco and dread, but that's it.

They want to play gods. Would it be easier to run them through Part-Time Gods, or Nobilis?

Nobilis is weird and confusing, but also incredibly cool and flexible, and absolutely fantastic for letting you be a powerful god of whatever you want to be a powerful god of. So if you can wrap your head around it well enough to explain all the weird bits to your friends, I'd highly recommend it.

I don't know anything about Part Time Gods though.

• Locked thread