Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Grim posted:

I always try to make a big deal about people speaking the right languages in Forgotten Realms games, but I think amongst my gaming group I'm the only one who gives a poo poo :shrug:

Qualith is my favorite RPG language what's yours :)

Qualith?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Here's what's hosed up: both 1 and 2 are explicitly present in 4e. The PHB explains that using a daily exploit (as opposed to a daily spell or daily prayer) specifically represents pulling deeply on immense reserves of physical and mental energy that you can't easily recover. The game provides default flavor for every power but mentions explicitly that individual characters' usages might look different. The "uses secret, then-counterable technique" and "takes advantage of a moment of amazing luck, such that diegetically it's not up to your character whether your character can deploy a daily" explanations for martial dailies are both completely noncanonical, even though even fans of 4e often assume that that's what martial dailies represent - after all, if they were canonical then common criticisms of the "well why can't I try again vs. a blind or mindless monster" sort would have traction. (Those dailies which do read "Taking advantage of a moment of weakness, you..." are generally the ones whose rules text reads Target: One creature granting combat advantage to you)

Unfortunately, this stuff was subtle and easily lost, and it wasn't explicitly consolidated and extrapolated into a set of default setting assumptions. Like, the difference between a Fighter and some guy who'd probably show up in a monster manual as "town guard, level 3" is a real thing - "town guard, level 3" might have a better attack bonus and more hitpoints, but does not have daily powers, healing surges, or other signifiers of access to heroic drama, which has strong implications re: what the fantasy world 4e describes looks like - but it was largely up to you to pick up on this from scattered snippets of rules and flavor text.

Honestly, if you kept every word of 4e exactly the same but replaced the color-coded boxes with color-coded crinkly scrolls or something you'd probably have headed off half the backlash or more.

Did you now, or did you ever, post under the name "Frank Trollman?"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What the hell is your new avatar?

An anime or two.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The solution is not to have wild animals in your home, like cats or children. :ssh:

The real solution is for all RPGs to be cat sized.

• Locked thread