Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Libertad! posted:

People can reblog your stuff on Google+ as well, though, so that's not gonna help.

Tumblr has an advanced blocking feature to make you experience only what you want to experience, but it hasn't really caught on there from what I've seen.

I think that a large part of Google Plus' popularity is that you can use Hangouts for Skype-like chat, which apparently works great for live games.

Tumblr does not actually have very robust native blocking tools -- you can block individual blogs and you can tell Tumblr not to display blogs flagged as "adult", but that's about it. There are a couple popular browser plugins you can use to create a blacklist of tags you don't want to view on your dash, among other things, but those are heavily reliant on people properly tagging their posts, and tagging them in the exact way you worded them on your block list. Tumblr is really not the place you want to go if you never want to see opinions you'll disagree with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Effectronica posted:

How can you say "fighters doing the same unarmed damage as wizards is wrong" and "unarmed fighters can't attack at all" in the same post with a straight face? The literal answer to the problem of being disarmed in Dungeon World is, apparently, that only certain playbooks can fight unarmed, or more charitably it's DM fiat whether cracking your knuckles counts as rearming yourself. And again, the argument is that Riddick-with-teacup and Riddick-with-axe should be mechanically equivalent.

Meanwhile, in Fate, you have the opposite issue. If my sweet Durandal knockoff is an Aspect, in order for it to have mechanical weight, I need to invest a steady stream of Fate Points (RAW, every go-round) into it. That means that most of my narrative weight is in my gear, and that I need to regularly compel myself, meaning that my other Aspects suddenly become more negative. Making it a stunt simply automates this process by lowering Refresh, and the whole point of this argument is that gear shouldn't be important, so making it an Extra runs counter to that notion.

And nobody's saying "the fighter must be completely useless when unarmed" or d4 versus d10, etc.

That's not a bad thing. Compels are great; they make the story more interesting. They make your aspects matter more.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Why should finding a magic sword with a completed character mean that the character automatically becomes built around that sword in order to use it? Aragorn and Bilbo weren't defined by Anduril/Sting, and Bilbo, if anything, becomes less beholden to the negative parts of his Aspects when he names Sting. And again, this is a significant increase in compels. Getting a magic sword decreases character agency- they have to be much more greedy or lecherous or drunken or stupidly heroic from now on compared to how they were before.

Compels increase character agency. Like, they give you Fate points. That's what Fate points are for. Compels aren't bad, they're supposed to be fun. If I put down "This Is Why I Don't Do The Talking" as my Trouble, then I am going to go out of my way to run my mouth off at inopportune moments anyway. If that kind of thing doesn't appeal to you, you might just not enjoy Fate. Which is perfectly cool.

You don't need to base your character around the magic sword, either. You could, but just having it exist as an aspect doesn’t necessaryily force that. There are lots of ways to model weapons in Fate.

I'm also pretty sure that in Dungeon World, it'd be perfectly acceptable for the following to occur:

DM: Your sword goes flying out of your hand, you're disarmed.
Fighter: Then I punch the goblin and grab his spear!
DM: Okay, Defy Danger.

How this teacup thing is going to play out really depends on the tone the system is trying to achieve, but players are pretty rarely helpless in PbtA or Fate.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 5, 2014

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Effectronica posted:

They do, because if you have two guys, with the same Aspect, and one guy invokes it regularly and the other rarely, the first guy clearly attaches more importance to it. To put it to a fictional example, King Arthur has a magic spear and dagger alongside Excalibur and its scabbard. They aren't mentioned often, and generally not at all in anything more recent than Mallory. Excalibur is more important to his story, or in Fate terms, he invokes it more often. Or getting away from gear, Arthur was also Emperor of Rome and King of Germania and Gaul, but these are again less important than his status as King of Logres or High King of Britain. These would be Aspects he invokes rarely or removes from his character sheet in favor of other ones.

You probably wouldn't make "Emperor of Rome and King of Germania and Gaul" and "King of Logres or High King of Britain" separate Aspects -- those are highly redundant. Either you'd wrap them up into one Aspect ("The High King" or whatever), or if the first one doesn't matter as much as you're saying, just don't make it an Aspect. Aspects are not an exhaustive list of things that describe a character, they are the things that matter narratively. Same with the magic spear and dagger. If they're not important, don't make an aspect out of them. You also should just never have two guys with the same aspect, ideally.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Jesus. What you're doing here is taking the thing which I said- "spending Fate points on something shows its importance to the narrative" and rephrasing it slightly, then pretending it's a counter to what I said. Like, why do you think Balsera, Donoghue and Hicks tell you not to do these things? They explicitly said in at least one first-party Fate product that I can remember that you should only pick important things to be Aspects and ditch ones you're not using, so that you aren't just picking one or two things at a time. This is also why you have the progression from 10 Aspects in SOTC to 7 in DFRPG to 5 in Core.
Or, alternatively, I misunderstood what you were trying to say in your last post and am not actually engaging in a deliberate attempt to make you look bad.

Captain Foo posted:

lol if u drink tea; coffee supremacy
Why would anyone ever pick just one or the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Zereth posted:

Are you suggesting people brew their coffee with tea, or the other way around?

Coffee beans actually aren't bad in certain tea blends.

• Locked thread