Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Feng shui had the best ever language rules: "Everyone is speaking modern Cantonese subtitled into English. No matter when and where you are. Stop putting language rules in the game and just banter with sorcerers and gangsters."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

dwarf74 posted:

I feel like people are trying to win teacupchat. But the only way to win teacupchat is not to play.

You could also drink tea out of it. That's a pretty great use of a teacup.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Parkreiner posted:

Exactly. People thinking D&D instead of Feng Shui is the problem, not the source (until the prequels anyway, where Force users ARE the only ones doing anything meaningful).

poo poo, probably the number one thing that sold me on FS back in the day was Jose Garcia calling rankest bullshit on WEG statting up Yoda with like eighteen dice worth of Force skill.

This is the exact right way to put it. One of the best parts of Feng Shui, even though it's a pretty old game with some wonky mechanics, is that Secret Member Of Secret Wizard Police guy is about on par with Beat Cop Who Really Believes In the Community is about on par with Tired Old Special Forces Soldier Back For One Last Mission. There were occasionally balance quirks or issues between the Archetypes, but there wasn't much that made Kickass Cyborg From The Future have significantly more narrative agency than Good Hearted Normal Guy Who Keeps Getting Into poo poo. Guns, Arcanowave, Fu, Magic (though Magic had, as it always seems to, some really wonky balance problems), and Literally Demon Powers were all just sort of the flavor of how you accomplished being an action hero, rather than making the explicitly supernatural guys inherently superior. Not only that, but all of these were technically available to anyone; the guy who starts out as an ordinary beat cop could, with enough EXP and time, learn to be a wizard or use terrifying magitek stuff or learn mighty ancient kung fu. Or the ancient wizard could learn from the hardened special forces guy and pick up a rifle.

Actually, didn't 4e do something similar? Where you had various 'power sources' that just explained and flavored why you could pull off the kickass poo poo your class did?

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 9, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ErichZahn posted:

The Lost Causer poo poo in PEG games is ridiculous. They actually made it worse in DL:R and HOE:R

What is DL:R and HOE:R? Lost Causer poo poo is Confederate Apologism, yes?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I never got what people saw in Deadlands. The setting always sounded kinda like a pile whenever my friends would describe it to me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kai Tave posted:

Deadlands, if you pare away all the unfortunate bits, is basically Army of Darkness: Old West Edition. I mean I dunno, maybe that's not your cup of tea, but I can absolutely see the appeal in that.

(Of course there's also the officially licensed Army of Darkness RPG by Eden Studios which supposedly wasn't half bad, so I guess you could use that, but Deadlands predates that by a number of years.)

So can I, just it feels like it's pretty much 90% Unfortunate Bits by volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FMguru posted:

you bring that up to a real Deadlands fan, you're all but guaranteed to get an earful about the real causes of the Civil War (hint: turns out it wasn't about slavery!). Plus, the whole noble savage/witch doctor treatment of Native Americans (although that's par for the course for the genre and gaming in general).

This is always the funniest poo poo to anyone who does any actual study of the civil war. Considering the Southern states pushing poo poo like the Fugitive Slave Act (and later, the stronger version in 1850 that tried to basically say no, there are no free states, we can send up slave raiders whenevs) and the actual debates leading to the war, yes, it was, in fact, about slavery.

I remember once, I did a paper on a guy named Patrick Cleburne, an Irish-American immigrant who would go on to become an important guy in local politics in his town in Arkansas, which lead to him being elected a militia officer when the South seceded and he felt he had to protect his new home. He was a hell of a remarkable guy, brave as hell and having to be pulled off the battlefield by his aides after being wounded several times over his career as a Confederate general.

I tell you about him because, as an outsider to the Southern culture, he really bought the whole 'stop northern aggression, states' rights' thing. The biggest proof of this was the time, when they were losing the war, that he got a bunch of his fellow generals together to give them his proposal: We desperately need men, and this isn't just about slavery, so why don't we offer freedom to every black man who will join the army? The others were so aghast that a war hero would suggest this that not only did they deny his proposal, they buried it to 'preserve his reputation'.

• Locked thread