Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
poo poo, I barely speak English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Winson_Paine posted:

Munchkin has a bad rap because it is sold in Target and is not some completely inaccessable Eurogame where you have to google to get instructions on how to play translated from German.
I'm thrilled whenever I see a good game in Target. :(

And I've hated Munchkin since the... Second?... time I played it, way before it hit any big stores.

I just think it's a bad game that overstays its welcome.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I like to play munchkin with my friends.
I'd rather hang out with my friends without the Munchkin.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I feel like people are trying to win teacupchat. But the only way to win teacupchat is not to play.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Night10194 posted:

You could also drink tea out of it. That's a pretty great use of a teacup.

I think we need a way to assign numbers to the tea drinking satisfaction of teacups, so that we can compare them to one another objectively.

Also, there was a penalty to the roll, but Riddick spent a plot point to make the tea delicious.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So on another site, a random poster mentioned this cute little, free Wuxia game. Looks pretty neat on a first read through.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/ben-wright/rivers-and-lakes/ebook/product-17387884.html

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I'm watching the Clone Wars cartoon, finally, and now I want to run some Star Wars.

I'm guessing Edge of the Empire is the least-lovely Star Wars game right now?

I looked into WEG D6, and it looks pretty good, if a bit archaic.

I had fond memories of Star Wars Saga Edition, but cracked open the book and was struck by a big wall of holyshitfeatsandtalents, so just closed it right back up. I also remember it having terrible, fundamental issues that weren't easily resolvable, like "melee attacks suck rear end," "the force is way overpowered at low levels but if you nerf it the DCs no longer make sense," and "hope you like picking from two different kinds of huge feat chains!" Oh, and "Errata out the rear end, but there's no convenient thing like the 4e Compendium to keep track of all of it."

The old d20 WotC version .... ahhahahaha, no.

So that pretty much leaves WEG and EotE, I'm thinking? I checked out the EotE thread, but I want a general opinion on it, if anyone has one. I like weird dice, so that's not a problem so long as they work nicely, math-wise.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bucnasti posted:

I payed EotE once, and my wookie got to rip the arms off a droid and beat it with them. :black101:

A++ would Star Wars again.
Sold!

I'm just surprised SWSE went so quickly from "good enough game" to "haha nope" in my collection.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FMguru posted:

GDW got going in the early 1970s, and was founded by a bunch of guys who had just gotten out of the army, so it made perfect sense that their RPG was about guys who had just gotten out of the army trying to figure out what to do next in their lives with the skills they had learned. At least Traveller gave your chararacters a backstory, compared to D&D having your character materialize in front of a dungeon with 2d6x10 GP worth of equipment and "LVL 1" stamped on their foreheads.

The actual system was descended from En Garde!, their 1975 proto-RPG about playing a gentleman duelist in Musketeer-era France, which is still awesome and worth playing (and in print!) to this day.
True story, their former HQ is an easy walk from my house.

The building is now home to my favorite gyro place.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ProfessorCirno posted:

I guess I don't get the guy who watches Star Wars and groans and mutters every time Luke shows up. Like, guys, he's kind of a major character.
I dunno, I'd love to run a Star Wars meets Dirty Dozen sort of mini campaign. Then again, failed jedi would work fine there.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So, speaking of d6 WEG Star Wars, there's this...

http://d6holocron.com

Think of it like Classic Marvel Forever, but for d6 Star Wars instead of Marvel FASERIP.

e: Sorry if this link is verboten, but it seems to fall under the same "abandonware" umbrella as FASERIP, insofar as that's any kind of thing.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 9, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Quarex posted:

The Rock is good? Huh, I was so mad that Zorba's finally had nearby competition that I never even tried their gyros.
Well, I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, so nothing in town here really compares. But yeah, The Rock is pretty great, though a different style than I'm used to. (They grill the meat after slicing it; most places I've been to don't.)

I've been eating there since it was over off Main, and it's only gotten better. The owner, Said, is a really great guy, too.

I didn't care much for Zorba's gyros at all. :)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yeah, basically. Sometimes there'd be specific mechanics tied to power sources but that varied a lot more than the mechanics tied to various roles the characters had.

Since Feng Shui is being talked about now, how likely is it that the kickstarter version will be good? Should I drop some cash on it while it's in its final days?
It's good. Way better than the original.

If you back for :10bux: you can get a copy of the beta rules.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Remaining cautiously optimistic; I loved XP but Troubleshooters didn't really grab me for some reason.
Paranoia XP also has the finest adventure ever written within its pages. I had more fun running Mr. Bubbles than should be legal.

Really though I could go for a new Paranoia with less crunch. That letter scale and the d20 math could be simpler.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LuiCypher posted:

Any tips for running it, dwarf74?
PROPS! This adventure, more than even most, is insanely better when the table's full of props. Almost weird little device that gets handed out should have a physical manifestation your players can hold. And yes, balling up spam to throw at your players is completely essential.

Frankly, that's part of the charm of Paranoia - making the game physical and immediate.

Another favorite of mine was an introductory adventure from one of the collections. A robot keeps handing out ominous-seeming "lollibooms" that "EXPLODE in your mouth with flavor" or will make you "BLOW your lid!" and so on. They're innocuous, until you have one player at the table with six tootsie pops in his mouth trying to explain how he doesn't need another one.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Impermanent posted:

I think I don't understand the POV of someone who just straight up doesn't believe in their ability to put all of the pieces of a game back together after they're done playing with it.

Like, do you do your dishes?
I have a 3 year old and a 4 year old.

We've lost parts of every toy they've ever owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The solution is not to have wild animals in your home, like cats or children. :ssh:
They followed me home. What can I say? :shrug:

True story: my older boy decided to pretend one of the treasure chits from Dungeon Roll was a "sandwich" and chewed it up. We didn't play Dungeon Roll for a while after that.

• Locked thread