Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I don't think language barriers should never come up but there ought to be a reason behind it rather than throwing it in there just because. Especially baffling to me are games where player-characters might come from different geographical regions, none of which share a language, and ostensibly characters are required to either buy each others' language to communicate or constantly be rolling dice to understand what the other person is saying. While I can imagine games where interparty language barriers could be entertaining I utterly fail to see how that sort of thing would be anything other than quickly insufferable in your typical fantasy RPG where that was rigorously enforced.
This is how it works in Edge of the Empire. The game basically assumes that everyone automatically speaks every language, unless the DM doesn't think they should in an instance, in which case they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Tatum Girlparts posted:

As a big star wars fan I 100% agree. Star Wars needs to be pulp with lasers, not GRITTY SPACE SCUMBAGS. Han was a loving devilish rogue and Chewie was his giant roaring buddy, they weren't grim mercenaries who smuggle everything from human slaves to illegal drugs.

Also yea, you gotta keep the Jedi in their own poo poo, they just don't work in a mixed party.
Doesn't Edge of the Empire basically do this?

Also my real problem with tabletop Star Wars is that Star Wars being literally a generic medieval fantasy setting in space tends to make people play it like it's Dungeons and Dragons (i.e. "strip every body naked and take everything that isn't nailed down"), but the setting (and usually the system) doesn't support that kind of playstyle. My group ran the starter adventure for EotE and by the end we had three ships. That's two too many ships for a five person party.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

DocBubonic posted:

I think this is more a reflection of the players then the game. I've been in a SW game and its nothing like a regular D&D game. In the first adventure we were on, killing and looting was the last thing on our minds. In fact, we made a point not to destroy droids who tried to attack us. We could have looted the place we had been sent to, but it would have been a bad idea. We did this because we were following orders. We were sent to a mine to get it back to operational status for our employer. Acting like a typical D&D group would have been the worst thing we could've done.
The starter adventure for Edge of the Empire involves going on a fetch quest to find some infamous astromech droid that has a treasure map in its head, only it's being held by some local crimelord holed up in an asteroid somewhere near the shithole town you start in. It's basically "there are bandits, go find their hidey-hole and make them all be not a problem anymore", but with Star Wars. It's...alright, as far as adventures go. There was a lot of swashbuckling adventure and acts of derring-do, plus my Bothan Politico insulted the end boss so badly he fell unconscious.

Basically Edge of the Empire is great and you should go play it.

• Locked thread