Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

frankenfreak posted:

Genug jetzt! Lasst uns wieder über Rollenspiele labern statt mit unseren Mutter- und erlernten Sprachen anzugeben.

Olen samaa mieltä. Puhutaan nyt niistä saatanan roolipeleistä.

Pääsen pitkästä aikaa pelaamaan Monsterheartsia parin viikon päästä. En malta odottaa. :woop: Mitäs pelejä te muut pelaatte tällä hetkellä?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Reading without moving your lips was considered drat impressive once upon a time.

And for centuries people were writing poo poo without spaces or punctuation:

And yes, people would actually read things like that regularly.

And yes, it seems really stupid to us today. At the time, it was all perfectly sensible!

This'd be great setting fluff for just about any D&D derivative: because the magic of spells is actually in the words on the page, one of the first things that aspiring wizards need to learn is to read silently, because if they just mouthed the words on the page of the spell book they'd run the risk of accidentally activating the spell held therein.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

If only there was a teacup-related idiom in the English language to describe something inconsequential that nerds blow out of proportion and argue over with vitriol.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The solution is not to have wild animals in your home, like cats or children. :ssh:

Or use your cats as props. My cat is a black turkish angora, so holding her in my arms while running a game of Monsterhearts make me look like some kind of a gothic Bond villain.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Impermanent posted:

Hey I've just been gifted a copy of the Burning Wheel. Does this play as well as it reads? (amazingly.)

It seems like what I thought D&D was when I was 14.

Just in advance I have already played dungeon world and while I love running that system I also love tight, mechanical interactions between players and systems and DW is kinda light for my tastes. (I loooove ApocWorld, but that is because it is better.)

Burning Wheel is a very tight system that does pretty much everything it promises to do. That said, it's also a very complex system with lots of fiddly bits. Thankfully, it's also got built in dials.

Based on my experience of running it, I recommend you first get your players used to everything, and I mean everything, that goes into making tests: the basics of dice rolling are quick to get used to, but you also want to give your players a lot of experience with marking tests for the sake of advancement so that it becomes second nature to them, and you also want to remind them of the fact that they can make tests either carefully, patiently or quickly. Also, helping and ForKs should come up at some point.

Once you've got that down you can start slowly introducing some of the game's more involved systems. Duel of Wits is definitely the easiest of the game's various subsystems, so get your players in a situation where they have to argue a case. I don't recommend trying the Fight! system for the first couple of sessions; if combat does come up, use one of the simpler alternatives, like bloody versus tests or something.

It's a really good game, but at the same time it's got a lot of complexity that I personally just don't want to deal with, given that I have precious little gaming time to begin with. If you've got a group who have a lot of time and motivation to learn a more involved system, Burning Wheel can be extremely rewarding.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Doodmons posted:

My main memory of my one abortive attempt to play Burning Wheel is that I built a knight, a 30 year old professional knight who had a liege lord, owned property, was landed, was the son of a noble, owned armor and weapons and horses and everything. He did not have enough money to buy a potato. Literally. I did not have enough starting money despite having deliberately picked options that would give me property, titles and patronage to buy a single meal of cheap peasant fare. What's more, trying to buy that meal would drain the last of my money, but if I tried and failed to buy that potato enough times, I would actually get money from somewhere permanently.

I don't even know. I like the idea of Burning Wheel, in the abstract. It's just I feel like the rules are utter AIDS in the worst sort of fantasy heartbreaker way.

I don't disagree with you, because I think Burning Wheel's resource rules are some of the head-scratchingest I've seen, but there's this particular bit hidden in there:

Saying Yes to Resources posted:

Say Yes to Resources tests if a purchase is clearly within the character's means and there is nothing at stake - failure is an annoyance or inconvenience rather than a dramatic twist.

The "Say Yes or Roll the Dice" rule is one of the most important to Burning Wheel: if rolling for something won't achieve anything beyond the game grinding to a halt and the characters being inconvenienced for no real dramatic reason, it's probably not worth rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

As long as your GM knows what they're doing and you don't use Luke Crane's stupid dice terminology, anyone can pick up and play Mouse Guard. Gorbash has got its number - it gets a lot deeper really quickly, especially in a full-fledged combat, and it's pretty firmly tied to its setting. You'd have to think of something to change Natures to and you'd probably want to mess with the character generation options to port the game itself over to plain ol' hack n' slash.

Torchbearer does a great job of dungeon-crawl-as-resource-management-minigame, and is also closer to the platonic idea of D&D than the real deal. It's definitely an adversarial GM vs. PCs kinda deal in my experience, but sometimes that's pretty fun.

Like, the deal with Crane's games is that they do the one thing they are supposed to do pretty to very well, they have a bunch of unnecessarily weird and obtuse jargon, and their layout is inevitably very pretty and totally unusable. If that sounds like something up your alley, pick one at random and go to town.

I used to think Crane's jargon was unnecessary as well, and then I met him at a convention and heard his lecture on the philosophy that informed his games: he's of the mind that RPGs are ultimately games of language, and because of that whenever he designs a game he tries to come up with a language specific to the game he is designing. There's a reason why failures are called "Traitors" in Mouse Guard (because it's a thing that Saxon says in the comics).

Apparently this philosophy informed him even more when designing Freemarket, because he wanted every game mechanic in the game to be expressed in terms that the characters themselves could use in in-universe discussion. I haven't played Freemarket, so I don't know how well he achieved that goal.

I actually kind of agree with him to a point: I think setting a specific vocabulary for your game goes a long way to inform the feelings evoked by the game, and if you've set a clear vocabulary for your game from the get-go it doesn't even have to come at the expense of clear and unambiguous rules writing.

• Locked thread